The Dentist System

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Isn't NHI (supposedly) intended to fund the NHS?, no doubt, topped up by Gneral taxation

Isn't the 'regular check-ups' ice equally, if not more relevant to GPs, ie screening to detect problems, before they become major?

NHI? what's that?
If you mean National Insurance then maybe originally it had some health component along with social security and state pensions, but in reality and certainly nowadays it is just another form of income tax with no hypothecation to anything.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
NHI? what's that?
If you mean National Insurance then maybe originally it had some health component along with social security and state pensions, but in reality and certainly nowadays it is just another form of income tax with no hypothecation to anything.

Yes, I am an oldie, using the old terms, I did indeed mean NI. Doesn't NI still have a form of dedication, in that State Pension entitlement (and, possibly certain benefits) are dependant on "contributions" history?

Buck

Guru
DeNtists can choose whether they provide NHS services, Private or a hybrid of the two.

The payments they receive for NHS services is not deemed sufficient and pales in comparison to what they can earn as private dentists.

The eradication of payments etc by the NHS has led to privatisation by stealth and I fear this is also the ambition of the Conservatives with our GP service which is on its knees.

Buck

Guru
Yes, I am an oldie, using the old terms, I did indeed mean NI. Doesn't NI still have a form of dedication, in that State Pension entitlement (and, possibly certain benefits) are dependant on "contributions" history?

It just goes into a big pot and is not ring fenced for specific spend in the same way that Vehicle Excise Duty is not exclusively spent on maintaining roads.

There was talk that the recent NI rise would be exclusively for the NHS to spend on being big down waiting lists etc. but that is an exception

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
On the point of preventative checkups by orthodontists ( yes, a dentist is the person who makes up the various false teeth, plates and other oral aids; look it up - ! ^_^ ), then why don't GPs do a preventative checkup on folks health on a regular basis - ? That way surely, a lot of potential illnesses, cancer, heart disease, diabetes etc., could be monitored and kept in check before they become life threatening. :whistle:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
On the point of preventative checkups by orthodontists ( yes, a dentist is the person who makes up the various false teeth, plates and other oral aids; look it up - ! ^_^ ), then why don't GPs do a preventative checkup on folks health on a regular basis - ? That way surely, a lot of potential illnesses, cancer, heart disease, diabetes etc., could be monitored and kept in check before they become life threatening. :whistle:
GP's in my experience do. However I had presented with facts to back up my ongoing issue and a delve into medical records led to multiple bloods being taken for all sorts of tests, inc kidney function (my mum is down to something like 20% function but stable)
In fact the last time was cycling related, I was chronically fatigued from training with a view to racing and in the middle of that had some sort of viral thing. Got sent for an ECG and worried the nurse + doctor who was called in at my 26bpm resting HR

Julia9054

Guru
GPs do preventive check ups after the age of 40 - blood pressure, cholesterol, weight, blood sugar etc every 5 years or so. In addition, breast, bowel and cervical screening services.
On the subject of dentists, round here you pay privately or do without. There are no NHS dentists taking on adult patients and haven't been for a long time.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
GPs do preventive check ups after the age of 40 - blood pressure, cholesterol, weight, blood sugar etc every 5 years or so. In addition, breast, bowel and cervical screening services.
On the subject of dentists, round here you pay privately or do without. There are no NHS dentists taking on adult patients and haven't been for a long time.

For completeness men also get an AAA scan at 65 - Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm.

D

Deleted member 26715

Ours around here are quite good, although their pricing does seemed to have jumped since they were taken over by an American VT company, or the NHS rates have jumped not sure which. But we get texts every 6 months reminding us to come in for a check-up, potentially if you don't come in you will be dropped.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

For completeness men also get an AAA scan at 65 - Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm.

Interesting. I wonder, is this a recent innovation?, and, is it Nationwide? I certainly never had preventive check-ups from age 40, (such annual check-ups have started from age 70), and, have never had a AAA scan.

Buck

Guru
Interesting. I wonder, is this a recent innovation?, and, is it Nationwide? I certainly never had preventive check-ups from age 40, (such annual check-ups have started from age 70), and, have never had a AAA scan.
AAA screening is relatively new and is offered when a man becomes 65 but if you haven't been offered one because you missed that 65-66 window then you can request one.

You'll need to find your AAA screening service (most are run by hospitals as outreach clinics) and go from there.

edit: here's the NHS AAA service finder

rualexander

Legendary Member

Not around here they don't.
Never hear a cheep from GP surgery unless it's to tell you that they are too busy and not to call them.
If you do call them, you can't get through anyway.
Been to gp about 5 times in the 20 years since I was 40. None of them said anything about any of the above routine checks.

Buck

Guru
Not around here they don't.
Never hear a cheep from GP surgery unless it's to tell you that they are too busy and not to call them.
If you do call them, you can't get through anyway.
Been to gp about 5 times in the 20 years since I was 40. None of them said anything about any of the above routine checks.

There are a lot of exclusions to the NHS health check based on pre-existing conditions such as heart disease, AF, Diabetes and more.

The health checks are an additional service provided by GPs (not part of the core service/contract) and not all elect to sign up to do these.

D

Deleted member 26715

At 55 I was requested to go to the hospital to have a camera up the chuff, I was then asked to go in & have blood pressure, cholesterol, think there may also have been an ECG or whether that was a result of my answers, I get chest pains when under stress. I think it was repeated at 60, although the camera was replaced with a stick.

Top Bottom