The Double Devil containment thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
A 36x11 @ 80 rpm is good for 22 mph, 48x11 is nearly 30 mph. If it was a race I'd consider a 52 up front but it' snot. I'd rather be able to go up, without the need to walk, as the in built momentum generator I have will help on the way down :mrpig:.
i have no intention of pedalling down hills ! just thinking about the ups . done a 40miler around cumbria way and legs screamed for better gearing than 36-27 but i dont want to go silly

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I'm thinking along the same lines. Right now I use the Sram wifi with a 52/39 and 11/32 cassette. I have a compact crank 50/34 I will put on before the DD but the only big climbs I've done over the Rockies I did on a triple and it was sure nice to have the little ring on the front.
them there Rockies were built to ski down not bike up !:wacko::okay:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I'm going with a 52-36. 11-28 I think. But I might try and get something bigger than a 28t cassette. I'm going 'bling' Berty. I just think feck it, I bought a 'best bike', I'm going to use it, or I may as well not have it! It's also very light which is a factor. This logic could be very flawed...

Next year I'm going to do lots of hill climbs, both on bkool and real life. I'm also going to try do as many long real world rides as I can fit in. I did a 70 mile ride last summer and by the end my shoulders and bum were in bits. I then did over 100 miles a few weeks later after making a few adjustments and I felt much better than on the previous ride.

Add

Diet starts tomorrow
Well I have done the event twice now with a Front 50/34 and a rear 11/32, and that has been fine. The rear cassette is actually a mountain bike one as the road cassettes don't go that high and low. I did have to get a longer cage on the rear to cope with the greater range, but have never looked back tbh.

An 11/40 is even more impressive to be fair, and there are inclines where I am quite sure you will be glad of the 40 on the back.

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi TB. Shimano XTR cass.

It was a mechanical experiment when I was unable to cycle other than very lightly. I had read it wasn't possible on a road bike, then I found a chap has cobbled a setup that worked. So I set about having a modified hanger made by a laser scanning/cnc company. They made a lovley hanger in anodized red. I didn't need to do anything else, standard chain and same derailleur. :smile:

With the arrival of super large range cassettes, so has parts now to fit them to road bikes, shortly after I made my own-doh

I know it sounds like over kill, but I prefer to have an extra gear or two in case. I probably won't need it now but back then I wasn't able to stand on the pedals for nearly a year, so was looking for a sure way to climb anything whilst seated

Attachments

• WP_20150804_08_58_12_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150804_08_58_12_Pro.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Hi TB. It was a mechanical experiment when I was unable to cycle other than very lightly. I had read it wasn't possible on a road bike, then I found a chap has cobbled a setup that worked. So I set about having a modified hanger made by a laser scanning/cnc company. They made a lovley hanger in anodized red. I didn't need to do anything else, standard chain and same derailleur. :smile:
Cool :okay:

Add

Diet starts tomorrow
bling for me as well it's got 34/50 front with 32/11 on the back 11 speed good enough just about for the hills of derbyshire, wont be peddling down hill so spinning out wont be a problem.
Same as me Breedon. You'll have to stand up, to crawl up the Devil's Staircase, but it's short and sweet. The leg burn is awesome, and several times my front wheel lifted when I sat back down, but we'll all get up it. As it's only about 500m long, the worst case scenario if you haven't got a suitable granny gear is, you push!

CXRAndy

Guru
Breedon, I see you're in Nottingham. I don't know your travel arrangements, but I can take upto 4 bikes, if you want a lift? I know its likely you have it all in hand, but if something comes up let me know

Breedon

Legendary Member
Breedon, I see you're in Nottingham. I don't know your travel arrangements, but I can take upto 4 bikes, if you want a lift? I know its likely you have it all in hand, but if something comes up let me know
I was thinking of hiring a car at the moment it's looking like £160 for the weekend if your offering a lift I just might take it up as I'm literally 5 minutes from j25 m1

Top Bottom