The Double Devil containment thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has anyone else noticed every time you check the countdown clock huge chunks disappear? Last time I checked it was over 200 days.... plenty of time to get in shape..
Screenshot_2016-12-03-06-58-30.png

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Has anyone else noticed every time you check the countdown clock huge chunks disappear? Last time I checked it was over 200 days.... plenty of time to get in shape.. View attachment 153280

It doesn't sound that far away at all when you see it like that does it?

Have to say I'm really looking forward to it, my only goal is to get over the finish line!

Are you going to bring a bike over with you Randy or hire one here?

It doesn't sound that far away at all when you see it like that does it?

Have to say I'm really looking forward to it, my only goal is to get over the finish line!

Are you going to bring a bike over with you Randy or hire one here?
Right now I plan on bringing mine. I saw someone on here talked their wife into a new one for it. I'm still using the @kipster technique (the man not the dog) of leaving the webpage open on the browser on the TV.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Hi all ... as time is getting close now thought I'd re-start the thread (and scare the b'jeezus out of those who forget how little time we have left to train for this!!)

As i've never ridden a sportive of any kind before, just wondering what (apart from the bike and a water bottle) do I need on the day?

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi all ... as time is getting close now thought I'd re-start the thread (and scare the b'jeezus out of those who forget how little time we have left to train for this!!)

As i've never ridden a sportive of any kind before, just wondering what (apart from the bike and a water bottle) do I need on the day?

Kit-depending on weather forcast for the day, either light clothing or more substantial and a lightweight weather proof jacket for rain showers. I tend to wear full sleaves lycra under my top for sunscreen protection, suncream neck cheeks ears, chin and nose-DONT put suncream on forehead. do legs aswell Sunglasses a must, protect those eyes! also hides bloodshot pain:laugh:

Food I take a couple of flapjacks, a banana, may be a gel. 2 bottles one of water one of electrolyte. There are food stops so chance to eat, the carry stuff is to fuel between stops

Fuelling routine, drink one bottle per hour, consume a banana or flapjack per hour-average is 35-50 grams of carbs per hour. Don't over-eat or you'll bloat and performance will drop off. It's a balance which you will perfect on training rides

carry a couple of paracetamol in case of pain later on

Tools, I would personally put 60mil of 'Stans sealant' in the inner tubes (done through valve stem and 10mil syringe from chemist) take 2 spare inner-tubes and gas inflators for quick re-pressure. tyre levers(3) The sealant will repair most of the tiny hole punctures without the need to stop.

Because its hilly, make sure brakes are in good condition, if you have chance ensure gearing is right so you have a bailout gear. nothing worse than fatigue and not able to turns pedal because you're over geared.

Get fitter by doing multi hour rides upto 5-6 hours- its not about distance or speed just the abiltiy to ride for that long. You don't need to ride 90 miles leading upto DD, maybe 60-65 miles twice weekly. With 10 days to go taper back training and just do easy 20 or 30 miles rides and 10 miles a few days before event. Night before have a nice meal, not a blowout though, decent carb breakfast, plenty of fluids.

Ready to go:okay:

Last edited:

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
Apologies for hijacking your thread however, I cycle the Falkirk Sportive tomorrow....

Look at the weather.. :wahhey::wahhey::sun::sun::sun:

IMG_0085.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_0085.PNG
    IMG_0085.PNG
    102.3 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
It's definitely coming around fast isn't it?!

I've booked hotel and train tickets but that's about as far as my preparations gone so far. I really need to put some decent miles in over ther next few weeks.

Turbo training is good but my biggest recommendation would be to put some long rides in where you can in the real world. I agree with Andy in that there's no substitute for that really.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Kit-depending on weather forcast for the day, either light clothing or more substantial and a lightweight weather proof jacket for rain showers. I tend to wear full sleaves lycra under my top for sunscreen protection, suncream neck cheeks ears, chin and nose-DONT put suncream on forehead. do legs aswell Sunglasses a must, protect those eyes! also hides bloodshot pain:laugh:

Food I take a couple of flapjacks, a banana, may be a gel. 2 bottles one of water one of electrolyte. There are food stops so chance to eat, the carry stuff is to fuel between stops

Fuelling routine, drink one bottle per hour, consume a banana or flapjack per hour-average is 35-50 grams of carbs per hour. Don't over-eat or you'll bloat and performance will drop off. It's a balance which you will perfect on training rides

carry a couple of paracetamol in case of pain later on

Tools, I would personally put 60mil of 'Stans sealant' in the inner tubes (done through valve stem and 10mil syringe from chemist) take 2 spare inner-tubes and gas inflators for quick re-pressure. tyre levers(3) The sealant will repair most of the tiny hole punctures without the need to stop.

Because its hilly, make sure brakes are in good condition, if you have chance ensure gearing is right so you have a bailout gear. nothing worse than fatigue and not able to turns pedal because you're over geared.

Get fitter by doing multi hour rides upto 5-6 hours- its not about distance or speed just the abiltiy to ride for that long. You don't need to ride 90 miles leading upto DD, maybe 60-65 miles twice weekly. With 10 days to go taper back training and just do easy 20 or 30 miles rides and 10 miles a few days before event. Night before have a nice meal, not a blowout though, decent carb breakfast, plenty of fluids.

Ready to go:okay:
Silly question, but where do you put all this kit? I don't really want to wear a rucksack .... I have a Scott P5 hybrid bike with a rear rack that can fit a small bag .... not sure if I can transfer this to the Boardman. If not, would you recommend little strap on bags for the bike frame? Only have one water bottle too, so need to invest in a new one.

CXRAndy

Guru
I have under saddle tool bag for tools and gas inflation, quite small really. The spares tubes, one under saddle and another either cable tie or tape around seat post. Food stuff all in back pockets with lightweight jacket in one pocket. You can get also top tube bags for quick access to snacks.

Top Bottom