The Double Devil containment thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I'm tempted to get my Scott fixed (can't change gears, levers and cabled buggered apparently) and take that instead of the Boardman. Scott is a Hybrid with flat handle bars so a bit more comfy ride position for my bad back over such a long day - I have arthritis in my spine which is OK for a couple of hours on the bike but I won't be able to walk if I'm bent over the Boardman all day!

Scott also has a very nice granny gear for those steep hills. Not a fast bike, obviously, but I don't think speed is going to be an option over 90 miles :tongue: Scott also has the rear rack that I can fit a little bag to for all the goodies :hungry:

Any advice?

berty bassett

Legendary Member
i am still battling between bling and comfort
got a wilier gtr that is comfort and i can put smaller inner ring on
focus that is as bling as i get- fast but i suffer after 60 m and dont think speed is order of the day
specialized allez with triple on that will get up anything but unproven on distance for comfort - but dont care about weather with it and that may be a factor
there is one more but she is tucked away in cotton wool till summer days
do you think i can make my mind up :wacko:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
i am still battling between bling and comfort
got a wilier gtr that is comfort and i can put smaller inner ring on
focus that is as bling as i get- fast but i suffer after 60 m and dont think speed is order of the day
specialized allez with triple on that will get up anything but unproven on distance for comfort - but dont care about weather with it and that may be a factor
there is one more but she is tucked away in cotton wool till summer days
do you think i can make my mind up :wacko:

In situations like this, I try to imagine what my childhood hero would suggest...

IMG_0248.PNG

ALWAYS go with the bling, FOOL!

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

I'm tempted to get my Scott fixed (can't change gears, levers and cabled buggered apparently) and take that instead of the Boardman. Scott is a Hybrid with flat handle bars so a bit more comfy ride position for my bad back over such a long day - I have arthritis in my spine which is OK for a couple of hours on the bike but I won't be able to walk if I'm bent over the Boardman all day!

Scott also has a very nice granny gear for those steep hills. Not a fast bike, obviously, but I don't think speed is going to be an option over 90 miles :tongue: Scott also has the rear rack that I can fit a little bag to for all the goodies :hungry:

Any advice?

@Whorty, please see post above!

Seriously though taking your back into consideration I think you've got to go with comfort above all else. You could argue that the longer it takes you to get round the more fatigued you'll get. But in truth whichever bike you take won't effect that massively I don't think. I wouldn't want to do the ride on an absolute tank but other than that.

My 'best bike' isn't really geared to endurance and I have it set up quite aggressively... But I love riding it and I'm quite a stubborn git so... i think my heart is probably going to rule my head. My other bike isn't exactly a comfy sofa either so any adjustment I make would probably just involve changing the gearing a little.

CXRAndy

Guru
Do we know what the roads are like, decent surface or covered in grit and detritus? Bill.Adam,Paul could make a comment.

I can go with 3 sets of tyres 25mm aero tubulars, 28mm tubeless or 40mm tubeless(which I found roll remarkably well). The aero wheels will give me a small speed advantage, less comfy though, they are as light as my other wheels. Ill just throw on the 40 cassette whatever wheel I choose

bobinski

Legendary Member
It's definitely coming around fast isn't it?!

I've booked hotel and train tickets but that's about as far as my preparations gone so far. I really need to put some decent miles in over ther next few weeks.

Turbo training is good but my biggest recommendation would be to put some long rides in where you can in the real world. I agree with Andy in that there's no substitute for that really.

TT, did you have to book the bike too? I will be going by train and just need to get head around logistics.

Whorty, I agree with the others. Turbo is great for fitness but longish real life rides are necessary not least to get used to impact on your body, your bum^_^ and at least for me, neck in particular. Also agree comfort over speed. I will be using my Defy disc which is pretty comfy but which has an aggressive set up all softened up by 28 scwalbe pro One tubeless at 80psi. Worked for me on my 24h London to Paris a couple of years ago.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Whorty, re your back, have you had a bike fit on the Boardman? I know it sounds counterintuitive but the right fit, stretching out the spine just might alleviate the discomfort and pain from the arthritis and so make the boardman the better option. I know everyone's back problem is unique but having had 2 prolapsed discs in the past I returned to cycling for fitness on a flat barred bike and it was only when I moved to a road bike and a fit at the bike whisperer that the pain I had riding disappeared. He and most fitters used to dealing with cyclists with all sorts of back problems and arthritis is of course very different to a prolapsed disc but it might help.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

TT, did you have to book the bike too? I will be going by train and just need to get head around logistics.

Whorty, I agree with the others. Turbo is great for fitness but longish real life rides are necessary not least to get used to impact on your body, your bum^_^ and at least for me, neck in particular. Also agree comfort over speed. I will be using my Defy disc which is pretty comfy but which has an aggressive set up all softened up by 28 scwalbe pro One tubeless at 80psi. Worked for me on my 24h London to Paris a couple of years ago.

I didn't book the bike in Bob. But only because it didn't occur to me to do it... I think I'll ring them later today. There are basically 2 'fast' trains (4 hours Ish) on the Saturday leaving from Euston. Both with 2 changes I think. One leaves at 6am the other around 11am.

I was thinking I might bring my bike up in a bike box which could make the trip easier / less stressful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Do we know what the roads are like, decent surface or covered in grit and detritus? Bill.Adam,Paul could make a comment.

I can go with 3 sets of tyres 25mm aero tubulars, 28mm tubeless or 40mm tubeless(which I found roll remarkably well). The aero wheels will give me a small speed advantage, less comfy though, they are as light as my other wheels. Ill just throw on the 40 cassette whatever wheel I choose

It's a good question Andy.

CXRAndy

Guru
Definitely book bikes for trains, and get a copy of booking, British rail have a habit of denying you booked and saying there is no space!! If you have more than one train journey you need to book each bike for each section separately. Local trains generally cant be booked and its pot luck if there is space, might be taken by luggage or prams!

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

I'll definitely ring them later then cheers Andy. I've not had problems in the past but I've always stood with my bike next to the doors. Might not be much fun for 4 hours!

I was thinking bike box next to disabled seats / toilet.

I don't trust the railway people to be honest. I've booked too many seats on trains to then find out the train doesn't actually have reservations or carriage I'm supposed to be on doesn't exist :rolleyes:.

Originally I was thinking of getting the 11am train but now I'm thinking maybe 6am. It's kinda early but I'm not too far from Euston and I'd avoid the crowds.

Last edited:

rob01792

Über Member
Most of the roads pretty good some gravely section nothing major havent done the complete course but done alot of it 2 of my outdoor cycling pals done the staircase week b4 last said that was abit gritty but it was wet
Whorty if u do take ur hybrid id been concerned with hands and lack of postion if u do gets some bar ends

kipster

Guru
Lots of good info, to add my comments.

Two bottles, a must, I generally have one with a Carb drink and another with electrolytes. Food, you know what your stomach likes, mine doesn't like gels but I would take a couple with me, better to be able to finish with the help of a gel and have bad guts than not finish at all! A good breakfast is essential, and a banana just before you set off, that's the first hour or so taken care of, then another banana, then something to eat every 30 minutes or so (flapjack, apricots, figs, peanut butter sandwich, what ever you normally eat, but make it proper food, leave the sugary stuff for when you need it). Two tubes, two or three co2, a chain link, multi tool, tyre boot, instant patches (park tools), pump etc.. fit what you can in the saddle / top tube bag, leave the food in the jersey pockets, easy to reach on the move. I have been know to carry a spare folding tyre strapped to the bottom of the saddle bag on long sportive.

As for conditioning, get road miles in, turbo is good, but nothing beats road miles. I was fortunate and had 5 days in Majorca a week or so back, 5 days, minimum 50 miles per day, total 320 miles, plus it had mountains, not their steep short ones in Wales, but still useful. I'll be doing an 85 mile ride in a couple of weeks, although it's fairly flat, there is one 25% lump in it. It'll help me check if 36 x 29 is an easy enough year, if not I can go 34 x 29 if I purchase a new cassette for the 'winter' bike.

I like the idea of taking some pain killers with you, I've not done that before but is a great tip.

Other than that, you're not in a race, you'll be cycling in stunning surroundings, take them in, enjoy, cycle with others, talk to them, the miles will roll by and you wont notice them. Walking up steep hills gives you a chance to recover / rest, take that option if you need it, there is no shame, no one (or at least I) wont judge you ;)

The ride itself is sponsored by Bianchi, anyone not riding a BIanchi needs to add some brake rub, me I'm going fully italian, Bianchi and Campagnolo, but then I am a cycling tart!

Top Bottom