The Double Devil containment thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
in a real spin now :wacko::wacko: just been out on bestest bike and done 80
i had ruled that bike out as comfort was an issue after 60 but although my legs had gone a bit bandy i didnt feel too bad
now i really cant make mind up as to which bike to train on - and i know i have got to do more as it was only 4000ft with wobbly legs
after 10000 ft i hope there will be a friendly farmer to put me out of my misery with his double barrel !
Better be careful in Wales if the farmer offers to take you around the back of the sheds to put you out your misery :eek::whistle::rofl:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
in a real spin now :wacko::wacko: just been out on bestest bike and done 80
i had ruled that bike out as comfort was an issue after 60 but although my legs had gone a bit bandy i didnt feel too bad
now i really cant make mind up as to which bike to train on - and i know i have got to do more as it was only 4000ft with wobbly legs
after 10000 ft i hope there will be a friendly farmer to put me out of my misery with his double barrel !

When I first got my bestest bike I was in absolute agony the first longish ride I did. The saddle to handlebar drop is quite severe and I was locking my elbows unconsciously to try to allow for the drop. My shoulders hurt so much I nearly took a cash offer for the frame thinking I'd messed up. Then I did some reading and realised if I worked on my core, bent my elbows, tried to keep loose, change position every now and again and stretch out etc it makes a massive difference.

Is going through all that worth it? For me it is. In a way it's encouraged me be more focussed which I'm not generally. But it might not be for everyone. And then there's always a chance my body says "bollocks to that!", halfway round the course. But then I suppose that could happen anyway if you don't keep an eye on the things.

What sort of pain do you get Berty?

berty bassett

Legendary Member
When I first got my bestest bike I was in absolute agony the first longish ride I did. The saddle to handlebar drop is quite severe and I was locking my elbows unconsciously to try to allow for the drop. My shoulders hurt so much I nearly took a cash offer for the frame thinking I'd messed up. Then I did some reading and realised if I worked on my core, bent my elbows, tried to keep loose, change position every now and again and stretch out etc it makes a massive difference.

Is going through all that worth it? For me it is. In a way it's encouraged me be more focussed which I'm not generally. But it might not be for everyone. And then there's always a chance my body says "bollocks to that!", halfway round the course. But then I suppose that could happen anyway if you don't keep an eye on the things.

What sort of pain do you get Berty?
goes without saying the butt gives some jip followed closely by lower back , i have clip on tri bars on all bikes just for comfort and on this one me neck gives up
i am 5'8 so inbetween small and medium - the blingish bike is small so i am more scrunched up compared to the others one of these days i may get round to putting pictures on - saddle is the same on all so i know its position - but i aint got to go much more than 80 ! more worried about bambi legs

kipster

Guru
Loose shoulders, bent elbows, don't grip the handlebars tight, all helps to keep the aches at bay.

This is me climbing Sa Calobra a few weeks back, shoulders could be looser, but I was only 2 miles from the top and coming off a hairpin, 4 miles of it behind me. Elbows nicely relaxed.

. image.jpeg

kipster

Guru
goes without saying the butt gives some jip followed closely by lower back , i have clip on tri bars on all bikes just for comfort and on this one me neck gives up
i am 5'8 so inbetween small and medium - the blingish bike is small so i am more scrunched up compared to the others one of these days i may get round to putting pictures on - saddle is the same on all so i know its position - but i aint got to go much more than 80 ! more worried about bambi legs
Is the measurement of saddle nose to handlebar the same on the small bike as compared to the one your more comfy on, you could change the stem to make sure they're the same?

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Is the measurement of saddle nose to handlebar the same on the small bike as compared to the one your more comfy on, you could change the stem to make sure they're the same?
very close - sure everything is all within 5 - 10 mm in all measurements - but to get the same measurements with angle of knee to pedals and what have you - it does seem to push me closer to the front wheel - just getting my excuses in early incase blingy goes across the border with me :whistle:

kipster

Guru
very close - sure everything is all within 5 - 10 mm in all measurements - but to get the same measurements with angle of knee to pedals and what have you - it does seem to push me closer to the front wheel - just getting my excuses in early incase blingy goes across the border with me :whistle:
5-10mm can be a big difference, my knees get pain if saddle height is out by just 2mm. I messed up saddle position after returning from Majorca (I took my saddle), first ride was painful on middle of my back.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

If all else fails I think there's a masseuse service on hand at the end of the ride :okay:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
went out for a test today - done a long one on the hillier part of northants/rutland with a rucksack on - just over 6000 ft and got bambi legs
definitely got to change inner ring oh and lose the rucksack ! i was jiggered - might invest in a bungee cord see if i can hook a passing mountain goat / moose

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
went out for a test today - done a long one on the hillier part of northants/rutland with a rucksack on - just over 6000 ft and got bambi legs
definitely got to change inner ring oh and lose the rucksack ! i was jiggered - might invest in a bungee cord see if i can hook a passing mountain goat / moose
Only another 4000 ft to go for the DD !!! :eek: I need to get out and see what I'm like in the real world as I'm seriously concerned that I'm nowhere near ready for the DD :cry:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

I know how you feel. My preparations not been ideal so far... my body just isn't playing ball at the moment.

CXRAndy

Guru
Reviving thread, on the back of Adams request for numbers. I know its a few weeks away and final commitments could change with circumstances, but a few have fallen, so

CXRAndy is going:okay:

Top Bottom