"The driver told his insurance he "wasn't moving at impact"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Haven't had an answer yet, just an implausible made-up story with zero details.

"I was so scared I was going to be assaulted I got out of the car!"

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
"I was so scared I was going to be assaulted I got out of the car!"

Who said that?

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Had one year before last, one of my last jobs before I moved to CID. The car driver was built like giant haystack, absolutely dwarfed me, and with one punch put the teeth down the cyclists throat, knocked him out and left him covered in abrasions where he hit the floor. The driver went guilty in court, but claimed the mitigation that he thought the cyclist was about to lump him and walked away with a Court issues caution. The cyclist was stretchers away needing hundreds in dental work.

So 2013? Where? What was their names?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Cyclist was riding too fast for the conditions and failed completely to spot the car coming out. He should also have anticpiated car movements at the junction and slowed down. He should also have realised that the driver's view may have been obscured by the cars that the cyclist was overtaking. He's a crap cyclist and a nasty aggressive one at that. Did he even hit the car? It's cyclists like that who are giving the rest of us a bad name.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Filtering through the space between stationary cars on the left with oncoming traffic approaching with a combined closing speed of 50+mph is lunacy. He should never have been in the situation where he was even close to the car emerging, it's not as if he couldn't see it well before and couldn't appreciate that it was trying to pull out.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Unfortunately he's an example of the aggressive cyclist who rides around with a conceited sense of self-righteousness. It's almost as if they are daring other road users to cut them up; whether it's in the hope of scoring a good video for Youtube or even compensation, I don't know, but it's a dangerous game to play. As others have pointed out they can never be sure the other road user isn't going to deck them or whether their little stunt will work out in their favour and they will escape serious injury. I don't know what can be done about these idiots, they embarrass me as a cyclist.

NorvernRob

The cyclist is a complete d*ck. I don't want to hear 'it was the drivers fault' - he was slowly pulling out and obviously unsighted, if that had been me on the bike or anyone else with common sense I'd have seen the car and slowed/stopped long before riding into it.

'It wasn't my fault' isn't going to help when you're laid in hospital, you have to have some awareness and common sense and not ride around looking for other road users to make a mistake.

Youtube and GoPro have created a legion of road users just looking for confrontation. They get aggressive and shouty, safe in the knowledge it's unlikely they'll get a smack on camera.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just like all drivers, I occasionally make mistakes. I just hope I don't make a mistake and get into a barney with one of those road-warriors; if I do I will simply park my car then tell them to calm down, call the Police and show them the video.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
from what i see on th evideo the driver is 100% to blame for the collision. He pulled out without looking properly. I would have assumed the driver would have done this and taken evasive action, most drivers do this even though it is dangerous and poor driving. The cyclist was wearing hi vis. The driver was totally to blame.

How the cyclist then reacted after the accident was less than ideal tbh. I can understand his anger totally, and in the heat of the moment I'd forgive him his words. However it would have been better if he'd taken a few moments to calm down before confronting the driver. That said I think the rider was worried the driver would drive off, which he did at one point look like he would. The driver to his credit did stop and apologise and offer his contact details etc. I suspect he did this once he saw he was on cycle cam.

Thankfully no serious injury, it could easily have been much worse. Hopefully the driver will be more bike aware from now on. I'd also encourage the rider to anticipate idiot driving like this better.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

What on earth was the driver going on about "just two minutes!" It's extremely likely, knowing as we do that the driver is a lying sack of shoot, that the driver was going to run away like a gutless coward.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Drivers who take pride in the standard of their driving are encouraged to take IAM training and any conscientious driver will try to learn from their mistakes. Cyclists are legitimate road users, the same as powered vehicle drivers and horse riders, so a mature, intelligent cyclist will recognise that fact and ride accordingly while making massive allowances for his or her own vulnerability and the fact that human beings do make mistakes. This is the principle of motorcyclist training: assume nothing and treat all other road users as a potential hazard.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
IMO whether the cyclist could or should have avoided the incident is secondary to the fact that the driver pulled out without looking when they should have given way.

The driver is the one in the wrong, and I despair that some people are excusing his actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom