The eBay and Various Other Marketplace Bulldust Machine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tony111

Veteran
I once bought a rug off e.bay described as mint condition. It had a hole in the middle.( Stolen from the joke thread),

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Sorta related, my wife found a local site where folk give away stuff for free or ask for stuff. She was touched by one woman's story which involved her needing a hairdryer so she gave the woman one of her spares. She then decided to clear some of the accumulated "stuff" from the loft, all for free.

What a palaver.

For every person that turns up when they said they would and takes whatever it was away, there's maybe five that set up an interminable exchange of messages or stop replying or just don't turn up. One such was for a hoover with all the bits - woman said she wanted it so my wife turned away about a dozen other people because it was "promised". Then the message exchange started - loads of silly questions; "Does it have this attachment" or "that attachment"? Will it clean this, will it work on that. Can you use it on Fridays?" until eventually she turned up one evening about 3 hrs late. Now this thing has been up the loft for three years so it's a bit dusty.

"oh" she says, lip curling. "Could you not have cleaned it first?"

I reached past my wife, snatched it off her and said "F*** off, it's going in the f***ing bin" and slammed the door on her.

She's since given my wife a negative rating.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Sorta related, my wife found a local site where folk give away stuff for free or ask for stuff. She was touched by one woman's story which involved her needing a hairdryer so she gave the woman one of her spares. She then decided to clear some of the accumulated "stuff" from the loft, all for free.

What a palaver.

For every person that turns up when they said they would and takes whatever it was away, there's maybe five that set up an interminable exchange of messages or stop replying or just don't turn up. One such was for a hoover with all the bits - woman said she wanted it so my wife turned away about a dozen other people because it was "promised". Then the message exchange started - loads of silly questions; "Does it have this attachment" or "that attachment"? Will it clean this, will it work on that. Can you use it on Fridays?" until eventually she turned up one evening about 3 hrs late. Now this thing has been up the loft for three years so it's a bit dusty.

I reached past my wife, snatched it off her and said "F*** off, it's going in the f***ing bin" and slammed the door on her.

That's funnier than anything I've seen on the jokes thread recently.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member

What a palaver.

It was a Miele drag-along which is too heavy for her. We replaced it with a Dyson cordless
I hope for your sake that nobody alerts Miele to the fact that you've just referred to their far superior product as a "Hoover". :eek:

AuroraSaab

Veteran
The irony is that if you'd put the Miele on Gumtree for a tenner it would have sold quickly and the new owner would probably have been thrilled. Somehow when you are giving stuff away the recipients often feel it is they who are doing you a favour by taking it off your hands.

I have discounted the likes of Freecycle for getting rid of stuff. It's a charity shop or the recycling cage at the tip due to so many friends having been messed about by ungrateful people.

I was working on my restoration project Saab on the drive a while back when a guy pulled up and wound down the window. He offered to take the car away for me, 'clear a bit of space on the drive', no charge for removing it.... He had a trailer and could do it today. After being told several times I wasn't interested, he started getting quite irate, so I shut the drive gates and went inside. Even in bits it is worth more than the battered Vauxhall he was driving.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The irony is that if you'd put the Miele on Gumtree for a tenner it would have sold quickly and the new owner would probably have been thrilled. Somehow when you are giving stuff away the recipients often feel it is they who are doing you a favour by taking it off your hands.

I have discounted the likes of Freecycle for getting rid of stuff. It's a charity shop or the recycling cage at the tip due to so many friends having been messed about by ungrateful people.

I was working on my restoration project Saab on the drive a while back when a guy pulled up and wound down the window. He offered to take the car away for me, 'clear a bit of space on the drive', no charge for removing it.... He had a trailer and could do it today. After being told several times I wasn't interested, he started getting quite irate, so I shut the drive gates and went inside. Even in bits it is worth more than the battered Vauxhall he was driving.

(OT alert) Hah! I have a similar situation more times than I would like. I am a gardener and when undertaking small tree works or hedge pruning in clients’ front gardens, certain individuals pull over in their ‘Highway Maintenance’ trucks and offer to take away the trees or clippings. When I decline they get really aggressive. Maybe I should let them. Along with my chainsaw, blower, strimmers etc :huh:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

The wife put a pair of hair straightening thingies on and got a flood of messages about it. She started exchanging messages with one woman over 2-3 days - why she wanted them, how thrilled she was to get them, when she could come and collect them etc etc until the final messages

"Are these steam?"

"No"

"Oh. In that case I shall have to decline. Goodbye"

:laugh:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Waited two weeks for two rolls of Velox white bar tape to arrive. Turned up today and the package contains Deda (which is not wipe-clean). Hopeless. Sellers get really abusive if you leave honest feedback but the system only works if people do this.

D

Deleted member 26715

Son was looking out for a flatbed truck so he can take his track car to tracks :laugh: bought a good condition, excellent runner, nearly 100 miles away, spoke to the owner who confirmed all was good, both him & his friend took a day off work, drove down only to find a truck which smoked like a chimney, there was massive slop in the steering & the brakes hardly worked. He walked away but it had already cost him money by that time.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I ordered a microphone wind muffler from eBay. Item never arrived. Seller offered to resend or refund. I opted for the resend as it was a well priced, difficult to get hold of item. Worth the risk but I planned to give a poor seller rating for such rubbish service. Seller refunded :wacko: thus making it impossible to post a review and according to eBay’s Ts&Cs, the seller had absolved themselves. Blinkin’ psychic merchants. I never saw that coming.:angry:

Top Bottom