The Fast Food Appreciation Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nibor

Bewildered
No, that is a Wigan Burger.

Wigan Kebab is 4 pies on a skewer.
View attachment 144031

Wigan salad - a cold pie

Brownie points to anyone able to explain why Wigan is famous for pies
Wiganers are referred to as Pie eaters.
Nothing to do with the large number of pies eaten in Wigan but to do with a miner's strike in the 1920's when all the pits in WIgan and Leigh went on strike. The Wiganers went back and broke the strike, the "Leythers" continued to strike and got better pay and conditions. Therefore the Wiganer's had to "eat humble pie"... so it's a term of abuse from Leythers to Wiganers. The hostility between the two towns stretches back hundreds of years to the civil war when Wigan was Royalists and Leigh were Parliamentarian and continues to this day.

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4467408, member: 259"]I used to get scallops from the chippy.

Directions
  1. Peel spuds and cut into slices.
  2. Batter slices and deep fry in hot beef dripping until golden brown and serve in a bag with a sprinkling of salt and malt vinegar
[/QUOTE]

Mi mum used to make them at home

PK99

Legendary Member
Wiganers are referred to as Pie eaters.
Nothing to do with the large number of pies eaten in Wigan but to do with a miner's strike in the 1920's when all the pits in WIgan and Leigh went on strike. The Wiganers went back and broke the strike, the "Leythers" continued to strike and got better pay and conditions. Therefore the Wiganer's had to "eat humble pie"... so it's a term of abuse from Leythers to Wiganers. The hostility between the two towns stretches back hundreds of years to the civil war when Wigan was Royalists and Leigh were Parliamentarian and continues to this day.

Brownie points to Stanley!

PK99

Legendary Member
Does it not host a pie eating contest/championship?

Competitors at said event in 2014.

upload_2016-9-15_13-9-2.png

PK99

Legendary Member
Nope it is true I assure you.

Yep it is true, hence the award of Brownie points.
(but you did cut and paste from the InterWeb, did you know before googling?)

keithmac

Guru
Nandos is tasteless and a KFC "Bargain Bucket" is a sad imitation of it's former self..

Butchers sausage roll or proper steak and kidney pie for me. Mixed grill kebab or a good Indian Takeaway (Chicken Buna vindaloo hot, 3 chapattis and a keema paratha!).

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Nandos is tasteless and a KFC "Bargain Bucket" is a sad imitation of it's former self..

Butchers sausage roll or proper steak and kidney pie for me. Mixed grill kebab or a good Indian Takeaway (Chicken Buna vindaloo hot, 3 chapattis and a keema paratha!).

Nandos is pretty nice but doesn't really count as "fast food". I take issue with your opinion of the KFC Bargain Bucket. As a one off it really takes some beating. Don't think I could manage it every day though. I also like the fact the KFC fries come unsalted (unlike Maccy Ds) so I can add salt to my own taste

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There, I said it. I like fast food. Well, actually I prefer slow food cooked for me in a nice restaurant but, in the right circumstances, fast food is great

So for all the grumpy old farts in CC who wouldn't touch a Greggs pasty with a bargepole, this thread is to help you to come to appreciate the pleasure of a Sausage and Egg McMuffin

Actually, what appeals to me is that fast food is...well...err...fast. But it's also usually of reliable quality (I know exactly what I can expect if I go in a Nandos) and it's inexpensive. As a cyclist, the fact I can pop in somewhere, get refuelled and not end up with something I hate is perfect

Greggs: The perfect hangover cure. Steak bake is my fave. But the value of a bacon roll plus coffee (the coffee is pretty good) takes some beating

Maccy Ds : Sausage and Egg Mc Muffin. End of. Coffee's good. Toilets are spotless (an issue for Mrs N)

Subway: As @dellzeqq says, Meatball Marinara is the way to go.

KFC : Ah, that fried chicken is beyond delicious in the right circumstances

There are plenty of others. I'm not a big one for takeway pizza as even I can't cycle far enough to work of the calories in those overloaded behemoths. Fish and Chips, the archetypal fast food is just too much if cycling. But on a Friday night at home it's hard to beat

So for all you CCers who turn your noses up at Fast Food. Have a listen to what the FF aficionados recommend here.....dive in and have a try. What could go wrong?
I've got fans?
FF

Top Bottom