The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Well footy gets a lot of negative press but it's one heck of a popular sport with nearly half the the planet's population watching the World Cup...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46647184

MarkF

Guru
The scousers arriving in Wolves tonite parking the bus already View attachment 443296

"This means more". Oh dear, no it doesn't, it's just a dull grey suit marketing meeting result, a vacuous babble of nothingness & absolutely embarrassing. Reminds me of the cardboard box factory near me "More than just a box", they are not you know...........

Anyway, after BPA and Lincoln City, it's Celtic v Dundee for me tomorrow, any locals to advise on central parking on this busy shopping weekend? Arriving about 10:30. will walk to ground, it doesn't look far.

PaulB

Legendary Member
With Liverpool only conceding seven goals in sixteen premier games we have our work cut out and we meet them again in the cup on the 7th Jan.
No, the cup one's a given for the Wolves. The winners of the FA cup get £3,000,000 which roughly equates to each position in the Premier League so a team finishing two places higher than expected earn double the prize money than the FA cup's worth. That's why it's regarded as a fake Mickey Mouse competition these days. There's no glory in it any more.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No, the cup one's a given for the Wolves. The winners of the FA cup get £3,000,000 which roughly equates to each position in the Premier League so a team finishing two places higher than expected earn double the prize money than the FA cup's worth. That's why it's regarded as a fake Mickey Mouse competition these days. There's no glory in it any more.
It's a competition that only those outside the top eight are interested in, and for those fighting relegation a cup run can be an unwanted pain in the backside.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

I still think the FA Cup is a pretty big deal - not easy to win and still a big annual occasion.

Sits in 4th place for me in terms of competition rankings - based purely on difficulty in winning each one:

Champions League
English Premier League
Europa League
FA Cup
League Cup (or whatever it is called this year)

matiz

Guru
I still think the FA Cup is a pretty big deal - not easy to win and still a big annual occasion.

Sits in 4th place for me in terms of competition rankings - based purely on difficulty in winning each one:

Champions League
English Premier League
Europa League
FA Cup

I would put the FA cup above the Europa league that really is a drain on a teams resources when playing on Thursdays
With a league match on the weekend.

PaulB

Legendary Member

Champions League
English Premier League
Europa League
FA Cup
It's a big deal to the winners who get to run round Wembley in front of 20,000 of their own fans - the beaten team's fans are long gone together with the neutrals and referees/officials from all over the country - sometimes though they use the FA cup as their fall-back competition but there's no doubt this cup isn't the priority anymore. I recall Stan Matthews once said that when you lift the FA cup, you may as well take a gun and shoot yourself because life will never be that good again. Those days have long gone though.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It's a big deal to the winners who get to run round Wembley in front of 20,000 of their own fans - the beaten team's fans are long gone together with the neutrals and referees/officials from all over the country - sometimes though they use the FA cup as their fall-back competition but there's no doubt this cup isn't the priority anymore. I recall Stan Matthews once said that when you lift the FA cup, you may as well take a gun and shoot yourself because life will never be that good again. Those days have long gone though.
When I were a lad and West Ham reached (And won) the FA Cup in 1964 the whole borough shut down for the afternoon. My mum went shopping in what was normally a heaving town centre and she came back saying there was hardly a soul to be seen on the streets, which were covered with bunting and had been since the semi final. For a month before it was all anybody talked about and the place was buzzing for weeks afterwards. Managers were heroes if their team won the cup and were virtually unsackable for a fair few years afterwards. Now you can win it in May and be out on your backside in June with the fans saying "Thank God we've got rid of him, sixth place in the league is a disaster".

Dave7

Legendary Member
It used to be such a big occassion. I would get my beers and butties ready. TV was on at 12.00 to see all the interviews with fans etc.
A really good afternoon.
Now......its nothing.

Top Bottom