The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A pity Sunderland didn't go up. Two Wembley losses in one season,the latter being so important! Ah well,i suppose it means another sell out when Accy play them next season and with Tranmere winning the League 2 play off we have another local(ish) club as well. Both clubs will bring more than Charlton and Newport who won and lost their play offs respectively, so from a gates revenue perspective the play offs have been kind to Stanley,even though we didn't take part in them. Not forgetting Portsmouth staying in League 1, which will mean about 1000 visiting fans equalling around £25,000 in gate receipts and spending at the bar and pie and burger stall.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Not sure I agree with these play offs.
I realise it brings revenue and excitement for the fans and I have enjoyed watching the games but it just seems wrong in some ways eg Tranmere (my 2nd team when I was a yoof) were in 6th place but are going up. 3rd place are not going up.
Similar today......Derby are 6th but could go up while Leeds in 3rd place are not.
So 2 things seem wrong........
1) to me the team that battle all year to
finish 3rd DESERVE to go up. The
team that finished 6th imo dont
2) the team that finished 3rd eg Leeds
are better equiped to survive in the
prem than eg Derby.
I will be rooting for Derby for several reasons, as I was rooting for Tranmere but I really feel for those that were actually 3rd and imo more deserving.
Blimey, I am knackered after typing that so dont blame you if you think its a load of tosh ^_^

AndyRM

XOXO
The Scottish playoffs are a lot better I think, if a little drawn out. Fourth plays third in the Championship, for the right to play second, the winner of that game going on to play 11th from the top flight. Obviously the Premiership side has the advantage with less games played, but it does mean that if you've finished fourth and get promoted you've bloody well earned it.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The Scottish playoffs are a lot better I think, if a little drawn out. Fourth plays third in the Championship, for the right to play second, the winner of that game going on to play 11th from the top flight. Obviously the Premiership side has the advantage with less games played, but it does mean that if you've finished fourth and get promoted you've bloody well earned it.

Strongly disagree. It's ridiculous that in a 10 team league, 4th has a chance of promotion. Playoffs should be 2nd top in Championship against 2nd bottom in Premiership over one game at a neutral venue.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I realise it brings revenue and excitement for the fans and I have enjoyed watching the games but it just seems wrong in some ways eg Tranmere (my 2nd team when I was a yoof) were in 6th place but are going up. 3rd place are not going up.
Similar today......Derby are 6th but could go up while Leeds in 3rd place are not.
prem than eg Derby.
I will be rooting for Derby for several reasons, as I was rooting for Tranmere but I really feel for those that were actually 3rd and imo more deserving.
Blimey, I am knackered after typing that so dont blame you if you think its a load of tosh ^_^
Interesting and thought provoking points, challenges the Sky based pantomime... However you lost the argument when forwarded L**d* and DESERVE in the same proposition ;)

Cavalol

Guru
Bit sorry for super Franky Lampard today, but Villa deserved the win. Shouldn't really want Villa to do well after they beat Chester in the League Cup semis circa 1975, but I do quite like them.

I agree with a lot of the points about the playoffs , but these are the rules and you know them at seasons start.
I am obviously very very happy about the play off system onwards and upwards.. up the Villa
Ps @Cavalol I have a soft spot for Chester it's where I met my wife :-)

Dave7

Legendary Member
I agree with a lot of the points about the playoffs , but these are the rules and you know them at seasons start.
I am obviously very very happy about the play off system onwards and upwards.. up the Villa
Ps @Cavalol I have a soft spot for Chester it's where I met my wife :-)
Is "soft spot" and "met my wife" not an oxymoron ?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
prem than eg Derby.

I don't like them at all for precisely the reasons that you cite.

I think that Leeds were hard done by this season.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Very sad to see a stadium with so many empty seats.
UEFA need to have a long look at themselves.
Apparently that stadium is being used in Euro 2020, twinned in the same group stage as Rome. How do they expect fans to travel from Rome to Baku for group matches.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Very sad to see a stadium with so many empty seats.
UEFA need to have a long look at themselves.
Apparently that stadium is being used in Euro 2020, twinned in the same group stage as Rome. How do they expect fans to travel from Rome to Baku for group matches.

It was just ridiculous of EUEFA to select that venue - horrible stadium too; I don't like stadiums where the fans are located so far from the pitch.

Top Bottom