The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
That was a good game, I feel worn out just watching it.
I was torn between watching that and listening to the Liverpool match.
I sat in the conservatory enjoying a large whisky with the radio on. It was an exciting game even on radio.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
And they won. Klopp's had a lot of stick from various quarters about disrepecting the cup through team selection, opting not even to go to Anfield. Well, he certainly had a point about respecting the PL break, and the youngsters justified his faith in them (though I imagine there will be no question there will be a first team squad for that match!).
I never get this "Disrespecting the cup" crap. Klopp is employed by Liverpool to get results, and FA Cup wins will save nobody's job anymore. It's the Prem and the Champion's League that matter and you can't expect him to risk burnout by fielding his best team in a competition that does not matter anywhere near as much as it did.

Times move on, things change.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Certain quarters can go forth and multiply.
I fully agree. Liverpool (and TBF, all the PL teams with replays) were placed in a very awkward situation. Klopp could have stayed, managed a first team for the game (presumably at least some of the squad would have been perfectly happy to get some game time), and he'd have got stick for that too. Not in keeping with the long-overdue break either. LFC could have played something like 65 games by the time this season ends, with all the possibilities for fatigue and injury that entails. More often than not, they'll have a game every three or four days.
As it was, the kids got, and took, an opportunity to be heroes at Anfield. Neil Critchley got deserved time in the spotlight. Shrewsbury got another payday (not as much as they'd have liked, but…). Jürgen and the first team get an uninterrupted, and deserved, break wherever they are. All win, really.
I can but hope Mikel Arteta decides to give his first team a rest when Arsenal visit Fratton Park. Fat chance…

gavgav

Guru
Blinkin eck. Lpool kids about to win 1 nil. I know its Shrewsbury but these are 18 year old lads. Good on them.
We were rubbish, seemed to freeze on the night and the kids deserved their win, albeit ruddy VAR intervened with a pathetic offside decision. That offside element really needs changing, when the incident is about 45 seconds before the ball goes into the net and is a player running back towards the half way line, with his heel about 1 inch offside! No sour grapes though, they deserved their win and it was great to experience a full Anfield, with 8000 travelling Shrews as well

gavgav

Guru
I fully agree. Liverpool (and TBF, all the PL teams with replays) were placed in a very awkward situation. Klopp could have stayed, managed a first team for the game (presumably at least some of the squad would have been perfectly happy to get some game time), and he'd have got stick for that too. Not in keeping with the long-overdue break either. LFC could have played something like 65 games by the time this season ends, with all the possibilities for fatigue and injury that entails. More often than not, they'll have a game every three or four days.
As it was, the kids got, and took, an opportunity to be heroes at Anfield. Neil Critchley got deserved time in the spotlight. Shrewsbury got another payday (not as much as they'd have liked, but…). Jürgen and the first team get an uninterrupted, and deserved, break wherever they are. All win, really.
I can but hope Mikel Arteta decides to give his first team a rest when Arsenal visit Fratton Park. Fat chance…
Whilst I get what you are saying, surely the FA shouldn’t be arranging FA Cup schedules in Winter Breaks? To put it in perspective, Shrewsbury have played 1 more game than Liverpool, at this stage of the season, with a squad about a third of the size of Liverpool and no doubt not with the fitness levels they have, but we don’t have the luxury of a Winter Break. Our league performances have certainly dropped off, during this cup run and it’s the second season in a row that it’s happened. Can’t just be a co-incidence, some of the players look knackered.

gavgav

Guru
Shrewsbury v @Accy cyclist ’s lot tonight. Accy have had 6 days off since their last game. We’ve played 2 games in those 6 days.......I fully expect Accy to turn us over tonight.

gavgav

Guru
As expected @Accy cyclist we were dire and you fully deserved the win. It was so bad and cold that I could have happily walked home at half time. Dull and uninspiring football, that’s the Sam Ricketts way and he’s lost the fan base now

pjd57

Veteran
A very, very pleasing win for Killie last night against Rangers. Gubbed their title challenge (not for the first time) and provided a great deal of cheer in what has been a fairly disappointing season so far.
The goal reports fairly raised the noise level on a cold night in Glasgow's east end.
Great second half from Celtic helped as well.
Not the coldest night I've cycled over to a game, but definitely the worst I've seen the main roads.
Gritter drivers must have finished early.

Top Bottom