The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
Meanwhile, back in Scotland, Glasgow wins everything. Again. It's the unpredictability that keeps everything so exciting up there, isn't it?
It's the fans money that keeps Scottish football going.
Income from ticket sales makes up a very large percentage of all the club's income , not TV money.
Largest attendance per head of population for any league in Europe.
Our clubs , while not being perfect , must be doing a lot right.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Income from ticket sales makes up a very large percentage of all the club's income , not TV money.
Largest attendance per head of population for any league in Europe.
Our clubs , while not being perfect , must be doing a lot right.
You have too many divisions with too few teams in each. You need to go back to the old two division system.

PaulB

Legendary Member

And what is it that keeps the English Premier League going then? The monkeys in the jungle (and I don't mean the one at one of the bigot brother's stadiums* neither)?

Only ponces and the terminally pretentious pretend it HAS to be pronounced 'stadia'.

pjd57

Veteran
And what is it that keeps the English Premier League going then? The monkeys in the jungle (and I don't mean the one at one of the bigot brother's stadiums* neither)?

Only ponces and the terminally pretentious pretend it HAS to be pronounced 'stadia'.
EPL is kept going by TV money, not ticket money.

*Bigot brothers......
Total nonsense

PaulB

Legendary Member
EPL is kept going by TV money, not ticket money.

*Bigot brothers......
Total nonsense

And the TV money comes from whom? Out of the blue, I suppose?

No, it comes from FANS. Which kind of upsets your argument really.

And with nothing but an insistence on sticking 'religiously' to west-coast sectarianism - which is the only thing that fuels the so-called 'rivalry' amongst the Weedgies - what other term adequately describes what we're seeing up there?

Slick

Guru

And with nothing but an insistence on sticking 'religiously' to west-coast sectarianism - which is the only thing that fuels the so-called 'rivalry' amongst the Weedgies - what other term adequately describes what we're seeing up there?
Scottish clubs rely much more on gate receipts where other countries have more options due to a larger income from TV cash.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51177558

This one shows exactly English clubs earn their money.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...guide-2017-18-accounts-manchester-united-city

pjd57

Veteran

It's not a west coast problem and it doesn't just affect 2 clubs.
Sadly there are hard core bigots / racists all over the country to be found amongst most clubs support.
Historically 2 clubs did have signing policies based on religion , Rangers , who ditched it before being liquidated and Hibs who got rid of it early in their history.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Agree with @pjd57 There was a club in England who resisted signing non white players for a lot longer than any other UK club.

https://www.efcstatto.com/stories/everton-and-racism/
We had that a lot in England for many years. Lads I sit/stand on the Kop with hate to be reminded of the language they would automatically come out with levelled at any black player in the opposition line ups. Viv Anderson used to come in for a ferocious amount of abuse as he was high profile, being an England international and playing for our biggest rivals (Nottingham Forest/Arsenal) and then our despised enemies (Manchester United) at full-back so right in front of our huge bank of supporters.

Newcastle United was very bad. I was there one day and saw a Div 2 game against Leyton Orient who had three black players in their side and the accepted songs the Geordies were delighted to come out with were nauseating.

Manchester United were sickening. Their "One team of n******" chant was clearly heard on the MOTM (possibly ITV Sunday PM) broadcast in a home league match against West Brom which clearly backfired when they were beaten 3-5. Remember, there was no live league matches broadcast in those days so the editors of the programme could easily have removed those chants before it went out.

pjd57

Veteran
So did Celtic. Could have been 6 or 7 without some fine work by big Larry!
Aye, we are playing well just now. Switch to 2 up front has certainly freshened things up.
With 4-5-1 it was getting very predictable and easy for teams to sit in.
Glad to see Killie pick up after a terrible start to the season.
Just need a new pitch now and I might start looking forward to visiting Rugby Park again.

AndyRM

XOXO
Aye, we are playing well just now. Switch to 2 up front has certainly freshened things up.
With 4-5-1 it was getting very predictable and easy for teams to sit in.
Glad to see Killie pick up after a terrible start to the season.
Just need a new pitch now and I might start looking forward to visiting Rugby Park again.

Think we've got the pitch for another season. Personally I don't mind it, and it amuses me when it gets blamed for a team losing, or a player getting injured, like neither of those things happen on a grass pitch...

For tradition, and aesthetics, I agree that grass would be preferable, and given how good a pitch we used to have at Rugby Park it's a shame we went artificial, but there really isn't anything wrong with it as a surface.

Top Bottom