The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Did not expect Lyon to win tonight. Man City sounded like they couldn't be bothered.

Must be Bayern's competition to lose now, although perhaps they peaked too soon last night?

I'm liking the single game knockout format. Be cool if that's stuck to, because I reckon that's how it should be. European football should be a straight knockout competition all the way through, and only have the winners of leagues for the 'Champions League' and the winners of the main domestic cup as a second tier competition.

It's not called 'The League of Teams who Finished 5th, but Because of Co-efficients Got through on Some Weird Rule"

I will caveat this by saying I have no idea how Lyon got in. Pretty sure they were 7th in Ligue Un last year?
They should have stuck with the old European Cup name. That worked. It isn't a league, and it isn't only for champions.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Thiago Alcantar (spelling?) to Liverpool ??
All reports claim it is a done deal with a few claiming he has even said his good byes and chosen a house.
He is 29 which seems to be against LFCs recent policy.
I know little about him but while 'only' 5'9" he is apparently a gifted mid fielder that can play deep.
We defo need backup in midfield with Lovren gone and Matip turning to glass

StuAff

Thiago Alcantar (spelling?) to Liverpool ??
All reports claim it is a done deal with a few claiming he has even said his good byes and chosen a house.
He is 29 which seems to be against LFCs recent policy.
I know little about him but while 'only' 5'9" he is apparently a gifted mid fielder that can play deep.
We defo need backup in midfield with Lovren gone and Matip turning to glass
Liverpool Echo (I'll hazard a guess and say they might have a scooby) reckon he is 'not currently an active target'. Bayern want €30m when he's out of contract at the end of the season. Either not going to Anfield at all, going on a free, or a significantly reduced fee. He'd be a (very handy) squad player, not a first-team starter. Aouar of Lyon might be a more likely target after last night…

Dave7

Legendary Member
Liverpool Echo (I'll hazard a guess and say they might have a scooby) reckon he is 'not currently an active target'. Bayern want €30m when he's out of contract at the end of the season. Either not going to Anfield at all, going on a free, or a significantly reduced fee. He'd be a (very handy) squad player, not a first-team starter. Aouar of Lyon might be a more likely target after last night…
Yes..... a number of reports say LFC are not seriously looking at him but there are so many positive reports.
I am with you and TBH I see it as a good thing NOT to sign him.
We definitely need new blood in a couple of areas but younger, less expensive is my opinion.

Stephenite

Membå
Can see Utd struggling with Sevilla tonight.

I feel strangely annoyed that De Gea is chosen ahead of Romero, who has done a grand job in the competition so far. What! Is there no loyalty in football these days!?

Edit:
Maybe it's part of some grand plan to make room for Henderson. Then to have Henderson and De Gea compete for the no.1 Jersey. A tough call for the boss. Romeo has been a great servant for the club. :sad:

Last edited:

PaulB

Legendary Member
They should have stuck with the old European Cup name. That worked. It isn't a league, and it isn't only for champions.
It is the European cup. You can give it whatever name you like but the winners pick up.....? Go and look in the trophy room situated in L4 0TH if you want to see six of them. They're all the same shape and everything and they're all European Cups presented to the champions of Europe.

StuAff

It is the European cup. You can give it whatever name you like but the winners pick up.....? Go and look in the trophy room situated in L4 0TH if you want to see six of them. They're all the same shape and everything and they're all European Cups presented to the champions of Europe.
I agree. Big Ears is still the same!

vickster

Legendary Member
Could go to penalties:

Sevilla 0 Utd 3
Bruno 3 (p. 12, 50 73)

:tongue:
Or not....

Dave7

Legendary Member
TOP PLAYERS LEAVING FOR FREE.....whats all that about ?.
LFC look as though they are going to lose Wijnaldum for free next summer.
Spurs are apparently losing a load on a free.
Apparently there are lots of top/expensive players that have not signed contracts eg Pogba.
I recall years ago that Owen went on a free.
I may be naive but surely, if a player will not sign a new contract with eg 18 months left, they should sell him.
Last year LFC could have got (a guess) £30M+ for Wijnaldum. Now they get zilch.
Beyond me.

Top Bottom