The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Congrats to Sevilla after winning the Europa League for the sixth time!!:bravo:

1598059417650.png

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Looks like some real changes at Arsenal. Pat Rice has gone and now Freddy Ljungberg is leaving to pursue a career in management. So we need a new first team assistant.

Paging Dennis Bergkamp! 😊

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
So Maguire is guilty of all charges. However how pertinent is this to being able to kick a ball around a field?
There is a lot of moral outrage, fuelled by the media from who want him stripped of his club captaincy and dropped by England. So a bloke has a punch up on holiday, so what?

And don't give me the "Role model" nonsense, he isn't one, he's just a guy who happens to be good enough at football to earn a living from it.

GetFatty

Über Member
There is a lot of moral outrage, fuelled by the media from who want him stripped of his club captaincy and dropped by England. So a bloke has a punch up on holiday, so what?

And don't give me the "Role model" nonsense, he isn't one, he's just a guy who happens to be good enough at football to earn a living from it.
I kind of agree although judgement poor enough to try to bribe a police officer might call into doubt the captaincy

Kempstonian

He's not just 'any bloke' though, is he? The captain of a club should at least behave himself when abroad. Like it or not his actions will reflect on the club even though they shouldn't really. Its the world we live in now. I'm no United fan and I have little interest in International football - but I don't think he should be stripped of his club captaincy or dropped by England. Any punishment should be left to his club (if they feel it necessary) for letting himself down.

In other news Messi has told Barca he wants to leave. Check books out lads! (I'm talking to the rich clubs of course) ^_^

GetFatty

Über Member
He's not just 'any bloke' though, is he? The captain of a club should at least behave himself when abroad. Like it or not his actions will reflect on the club even though they shouldn't really. Its the world we live in now. I'm no United fan and I have little interest in International football - but I don't think he should be stripped of his club captaincy or dropped by England. Any punishment should be left to his club (if they feel it necessary) for letting himself down.

In other news Messi has told Barca he wants to leave. Check books out lads! (I'm talking to the rich clubs of course) ^_^
I think Barca have a €700m buy out clause though I'm not sure even Messi can afford that and I don't think a club will pay it for a 33 year old. I'm not sure Messi has Ronaldo's obsession with fitness either

Kempstonian

I think Barca have a €700m buy out clause though I'm not sure even Messi can afford that and I don't think a club will pay it for a 33 year old. I'm not sure Messi has Ronaldo's obsession with fitness either
If they agree to let him leave they won't be asking that sort of money. Nobody has that much, especially now. He's probably only got one contract left in him at his age, although he's not known for his speed as much as his ball playing, so he could go on for a few years yet. I think a lot of clubs would give him a 3 year contract if they could afford to buy him. Apart from his play he would bring them big bucks in increased crowd sizes and ad revenue. How long has he had that €700m buy out clause, do you know?

GetFatty

Über Member
If they agree to let him leave they won't be asking that sort of money. Nobody has that much, especially now. He's probably only got one contract left in him at his age, although he's not known for his speed as much as his ball playing, so he could go on for a few years yet. I think a lot of clubs would give him a 3 year contract if they could afford to buy him. Apart from his play he would bring them big bucks in increased crowd sizes and ad revenue. How long has he had that €700m buy out clause, do you know?
Not sure to be honest. I think only his last contract probably to protect against another Neymar

Kempstonian

Not sure to be honest. I think only his last contract probably to protect against another Neymar
Undoubtedly. They couldn't afford to lose them both within a short time. Clubs do that often I think. It will be interesting to see where he goes from here though.

GetFatty

Über Member
Undoubtedly. They couldn't afford to lose them both within a short time. Clubs do that often I think. It will be interesting to see where he goes from here though.
I think Neymar shocked Barca. I think they thought they were safe with €200m or whatever it was as his buy out but PSG proved them wrong. They couldn't afford it to happen twice. Ronaldo leaving Real probably didn't help but (and I'm not actually a fan) he once again proved just how astute he is

Kempstonian

Oh this is getting interesting! On the Sky Sports pages 'Sky Sports News' Dharmesh Sheth explains the two clauses regarding Lionel Messi's future. There's the free clause Lionel Messi wants to use, and the 700 million euros release clause Barcelona say applies.'

Also on another page 'Where could Messi go next? Kaveh Solhekol looks at which club Lionel Messi could join next after he told Barcelona he wants to leave the Spanish side. '

Its started...😄

GetFatty

Über Member
I actually think Barca will come up with something. They have little money so possibly some kind of future : coach, president?

Top Bottom