The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish

vickster

Legendary Member
TOP PLAYERS LEAVING FOR FREE.....whats all that about ?.
LFC look as though they are going to lose Wijnaldum for free next summer.
Spurs are apparently losing a load on a free.
Apparently there are lots of top/expensive players that have not signed contracts eg Pogba.
I recall years ago that Owen went on a free.
I may be naive but surely, if a player will not sign a new contract with eg 18 months left, they should sell him.
Last year LFC could have got (a guess) £30M+ for Wijnaldum. Now they get zilch.
Beyond me.
Clubs are strapped for cash - if not desperate for the player, why would they pay a load when they can have pre-talks and then get for free?
The players can earn even more if the club doesn't have to pay a fee for them ;)

Clubs can't sell a player under contract if they don't want to leave and no one wants to buy them (see Ozil... :ph34r:)

MarkF

Guru

MarkF

Guru
Clubs are strapped for cash - if not desperate for the player, why would they pay a load when they can have pre-talks and then get for free?
The players can earn even more if the club doesn't have to pay a fee for them ;)

Clubs can't sell a player under contract if they don't want to leave and no one wants to buy them (see Ozil... :ph34r:)

Money transfers have long ago almost stopped in L1/2. Contracts are so short, usually 12 months, is reason & also the availability of so many pro's who can "do a job". Give player a big deal like Bradford did to James Vaughan, big money for 3 years at 31 years of age is extremely rare and what's the point? James is worth money, but has decided after 12 months that he doesn't want to do the M62 commute from the Wirral any longer and is joining Tranmere Rovers for free and that's that, so he has.^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
Money transfers have long ago almost stopped in L1/2. Contracts are so short, usually 12 months, is reason & also the availability of so many pro's who can "do a job". Give player a big deal like Bradford did to James Vaughan, big money for 3 years at 31 years of age is extremely rare and what's the point? James is worth money, but has decided after 12 months that he doesn't want to do the M62 commute from the Wirral any longer and is joining Tranmere Rovers for free and that's that, so he has.^_^
I reckon the big money deals in the top divisions in all countries are driven by agents who want their 5 or 10m straight off and not a percentage of future earnings :ph34r: although presumably they take a cut of any signing on bonus

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member

I understand that but in the case of Wijnaldum.........
A top player
Any/most teams would welcome him.
IMO.......if, 6 months ago he would not sign a new contract then the club should have sold him. Instead he will walk for free

vickster

Legendary Member
I understand that but in the case of Wijnaldum.........
A top player
Any/most teams would welcome him.
IMO.......if, 6 months ago he would not sign a new contract then the club should have sold him. Instead he will walk for free
He’s quite old though isn’t he? Young players go for big money these days, not old ones with a few years left. What’s his injury history?
maybe they asked him to move on and he declined, or no one wanted to buy him. He didn’t seem to be a first team pick?

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
I reckon the big money deals in the top divisions in all countries are driven by agents who want their 5 or 10m straight off and not a percentage of future earnings :ph34r: although presumably they take a cut of any signing on bonus

It's far worse than that it's a worldwide largely crime owned cartel of that not only owns and sells the players, it can tell a club it's getting a player or selling one, like it or not, and dictate all terms.

Dave7

Legendary Member
They can't if he doesn't agree to be sold and he would have been nuts to agree to it anyway. Why cost your new club a fat transfer fee when you can go for nothing and command a signing on fee from them yourself?
Sadly true.
It all seems to have swung too far the other way.
I would like to think that if a player has been earning £2-4M per year he would help the club.
BUT.......
On the other hand, if the club decided they no longer wanted someone they would just get shut.
Good job I am not a manager as I have no idea ^_^

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Sadly true.
It all seems to have swung too far the other way.
I would like to think that if a player has been earning £2-4M per year he would help the club.
BUT.......
On the other hand, if the club decided they no longer wanted someone they would just get shut.
Good job I am not a manager as I have no idea ^_^
Your "On the other hand" sums it up nicely. Before the misnamed freedom of contract ruling clubs were able to hang on to a players registration after his contract ended and they could block his signing to a rival club.

Top Bottom