The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yo vanilla

I don't think there is any place in the world Gerrard would rather be than Anfield. If Liverpool were ever to tear it down, he'd be the guy chained to the front door to block the bulldozers :biggrin:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Well, that was a battering for us from the 'Pool. Thought we held our own for a bit but once the second went in you were playing with us.

Good one for the fans to return to.

How on Earth did Villa put 7 past you?
Good question Shep. I have no idea.
I thought Wolves did well 1st half but as you say fell apart 2nd half.
Disappointed with Coady's dive......I have enjoyed watching him since he was a kid and think he is above that.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
Well, that was a battering for us from the 'Pool. Thought we held our own for a bit but once the second went in you were playing with us.

Good one for the fans to return to.

How on Earth did Villa put 7 past you?

We put 7 past Liverpool because on the day we was the better team. Simples ;)

Saying that, I would have been over the moon Villa getting a draw.

PaulB

Legendary Member
It's become a total joke now. VAR will be the end of PROPER football and turn it into a computer-based game. And this is from a relatively meaningless game; a dead rubber. Imagine if your club's entire season depended on a remote decision that's too borderline to effectively make. They may as well toss a bloody coin.

Mike_P

Guru
There should be other solutions,an effective ball tracking system would show immediately if it had gone out of play or crossed the goal line. Revert the offside rule to the old one of no one being beyond a defender and have all players boots tracked. VAR use would then be limited to fouls.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's all so simple when you listen to football fans... trackers in the balls, trackers in the boots, lines virtually painted on the pitch, more and more technology, less reliance on a human. Come on they all say, we have video replays from umpteen angles! Surely we can get things right with a video replay!

But technology is of limited use in football, just as it is in cricket, or in NFL, or tennis. There's some benefit with regards to say, the ball crossing the line, but it's limited. What's a penalty, and what isn't? (For example).

What we have right now is what fans wanted yesterday already, this is what they have called for for years. They were sick of human mistakes in refereeing and demanded technology to sort it out. Of course the trouble with football video refereeing (as it's done currently, and as it's expected by fans) is that it's taking an interpretation question from the pitch, and asking someone else to rule with their own interpretation. That can never, ever work.

I'd sooner see a respect for the decision on the pitch and the role of the referee rather than more scrutiny by a video referee in Stockley Park, and his equally unexplained interpretation.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It's all so simple when you listen to football fans... trackers in the balls, trackers in the boots, lines virtually painted on the pitch, more and more technology, less reliance on a human. Come on they all say, we have video replays from umpteen angles! Surely we can get things right with a video replay!

But technology is of limited use in football, just as it is in cricket, or in NFL, or tennis. There's some benefit with regards to say, the ball crossing the line, but it's limited. What's a penalty, and what isn't? (For example).

What we have right now is what fans wanted yesterday already, this is what they have called for for years. They were sick of human mistakes in refereeing and demanded technology to sort it out. Of course the trouble with football video refereeing (as it's done currently, and as it's expected by fans) is that it's taking an interpretation question from the pitch, and asking someone else to rule with their own interpretation. That can never, ever work.

I'd sooner see a respect for the decision on the pitch and the role of the referee rather than more scrutiny by a video referee in Stockley Park, and his equally unexplained interpretation.
I’ve come to the conclusion that football fans just like to moan.

VAR provides controversial decisions in cricket and rugby but no one seems to moan about it. There are plenty of examples when a ball flicks the strap on a batsman’s pad or a dodgy forward pass with “momentum”.

It’s just another way of reaching a tricky decision. And by it’s very nature it will still throw up marginal decisions which someone has to interpret but this hopefully eliminates the howler.

PaulB

Legendary Member
What we have right now is what fans wanted yesterday already, this is what they have called for for years. They were sick of human mistakes in refereeing and demanded technology to sort it out.

What? I mean, what?

I know the fans who sit around me - and have done for decades - and I know fans of all walks of life and I have never heard or read anyone asking for technology. We have to be grown up to accept that just as our star striker misses a penalty or an absolute sitter, so referees can and do make mistakes, When they do it technology-assisted - and take forever doing it - it absolutely robs football of its very essence. Do Doncaster Rovers have this? No. What about Harrogate Town or my local school's football team? Of course not so why do we have to bring forward the day money completely ruins it?

'Clear and obvious mistake' was the so-called reason VAR was going to be used, not looking 10 passes back to see if someone's big to was offside.

Goal line technology was to be welcomed and that is a simple thing to implement correctly.

The first thing you do now when your team scores is look up at the screens to see if the dreaded 'VAR' symbol has popped up, it's ruining the game.

By the way, please don't turn a Football thread into somewhere else to have a pop at people that like different sports to others.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
What? I mean, what?

I know the fans who sit around me - and have done for decades - and I know fans of all walks of life and I have never heard or read anyone asking for technology.

It's merely my experience, I understand that your experience may differ. I've heard fans calling for technology for what, probably a decade now. Not so much at games (because you're all watching it in real time, same as the ref is, so you won't pick up on most of the officiating "mistakes" at that time). It's more the fan discussion forums, the pubs, when they've seen umpteen replays on MOTD, and the likes of Danny Murphy or Paul Merson telling everyone that if they can see the striker was marginally offside on TV, then surely the officials should have the aid of TV replays too.

We have to be grown up to accept that just as our star striker misses a penalty or an absolute sitter, so referees can and do make mistakes, When they do it technology-assisted - and take forever doing it - it absolutely robs football of its very essence.

I completely agree, I've always been an advocate of letting the match official referee the match, mistakes and all.
TV replays are not conducive to a flowing, entertaining football match.

Dave7

Legendary Member
It's merely my experience, I understand that your experience may differ. I've heard fans calling for technology for what, probably a decade now. Not so much at games (because you're all watching it in real time, same as the ref is, so you won't pick up on most of the officiating "mistakes" at that time). It's more the fan discussion forums, the pubs, when they've seen umpteen replays on MOTD, and the likes of Danny Murphy or Paul Merson telling everyone that if they can see the striker was marginally offside on TV, then surely the officials should have the aid of TV replays too.

I completely agree, I've always been an advocate of letting the match official referee the match, mistakes and all.
TV replays are not conducive to a flowing, entertaining football match.
Yep..... the ref (in your/my opinion) gets it wrong....you have a rant and the game goes on. This is destroying it.
Even last night's dead rubber match had those awful moments. 8 minutes added time just for VAR checks :wacko:

Top Bottom