The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have no idea why but aged 10ish I supported Chelsea.
Aged 16 an older mate took me to Anfield. We stood in the paddock......the rest, as they say, history.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Aged 16 an older mate took me to Anfield. We stood in the paddock......the rest, as they say, history.
I was 17 the first time i stood on the Kop, .........it was liverpool v blackburn 1993 and we lost 1 nil, mike newell with the goal

jamie redknapp came on in the 2nd half and had what i remember was the only shot on goal for liverpool

Dave7

Legendary Member
I was 17 the first time i stood on the Kop, .........it was liverpool v blackburn 1993 and we lost 1 nil, mike newell with the goal

jamie redknapp came on in the 2nd half and had what i remember was the only shot on goal for liverpool
I haven't got the memory to say who we played or what the score was.
I know Tommy Lawrence was in goal.
Tommy Smith I think.
The friend who took me has an amazing memory for games, dates, scores etc but sadly I can't recall all that.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
"Best team ever" beat their club's record run... ...of home defeats. Five in a row now.

It's getting to the point of feeling bad about laughing. Well, almost.

jowwy

I haven't got the memory to say who we played or what the score was.
I know Tommy Lawrence was in goal.
Tommy Smith I think.
The friend who took me has an amazing memory for games, dates, scores etc but sadly I can't recall all that.
another poor result......for me the midfield seems to be the issue, i didn't see one run from a midfielder to try and get beyond the front 3 and get into the box. Thiago, Jones, Gini play all their football in front of the defence, we need someone to try and break beyond that and cause confusion within the back line and drag defenders out of position.........

its all very slow and one paced football at the moment and its not working. Teams can just sit back and soak up the pressure knowing they wont get turned and ran in behind.....

Thanks
Wannabee Liverpool Fan

Dave7

Legendary Member
I certainly agree that other teams have got our style of play sussed out.......they pack their defence and we have no answer to it, then they break and our defence can't cope.
Last night was an example. The Chelsea goal was well taken but he not have been allowed to be where he was.
Top 6 is my hope now and maybe rebuild for next season. I hope I am wrong ie we can string a few together while others drop points......top 4 would be a bonus.

jowwy

I certainly agree that other teams have got our style of play sussed out.......they pack their defence and we have no answer to it, then they break and our defence can't cope.
Last night was an example. The Chelsea goal was well taken but he not have been allowed to be where he was.
Top 6 is my hope now and maybe rebuild for next season. I hope I am wrong ie we can string a few together while others drop points......top 4 would be a bonus.
totally agree......33pts left to play for but i cant see west ham/everton continuing their current form based on previous premier league years

liecester have a tough run in, so lets just see were we end up over the next few weeks

AndyRM

XOXO

This reminded me of when I was around 8 or so, growing up in Edinburgh and 'supported' Hearts. My dad took me and my pal Chris to see Hearts v Killie, and we sat in the home end. Hearts won, and I still remember how gutted my dad looked. Not looked back from Ayrshire's finest since.

postman

Legendary Member
Going to say well done Mr Gerrard,Rangers could win the title this weekend,very well done sir.Taken a shot to pieces club and steadied the ship.Quite an achievement.Well done Rangers can't use Glasgow I understand.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Going to say well done Mr Gerrard,Rangers could win the title this weekend,very well done sir.Taken a shot to pieces club and steadied the ship.Quite an achievement.Well done Rangers can't use Glasgow I understand.
Why can't you use Glasgow when referring to Glasgow Rangers? Don't listen to the "not the same club" nonsense spouted by a minority up here; FIFA and the SPFL have agreed the club is the same as the pre liquidation version. As a point of order, they were shot to pieces 8 years ago, but were back on track prior to Stevie Gerrard taking over as manager. He has done a good job since arriving though.

Please note, I am not a fan of either side of the Glasgow Old Firm (yes, that still exists too). But I really couldn't have stood listening to the gloating of one side, whichever one it was, if they had ever won 10 titles in a row. Both can claim 9 in a row, making it meaningless. For the sake of sanity in Scotland, someone other than Celtic simply had to win the SPL this season, and realistically only Rangers were going to challenge them.

Glasgow Rangers have done very well to come from the old 3rd division to (almost) win the SPL in the first week of March, within 8 years. Some will put it down to Celtic's bad form, rather than Rangers actually being quite good (see Europa league form this season). If Rangers only win this season's SPL due to Celtic being poor, where does that put Celtic's second 9 titles in a row; given that Rangers were missing from the SPL for the best part of 4 of those 9 years?

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
Well, a scoreless draw against 'The Vile'.

Typical Wolves performance, poor first half and lucky to go in drawing as Villa had some good chances, 2nd half much better and should have scored a couple of times.

On the whole I think the result was fair.

I have to agree, it was definately a game of two halfs, we was the better team in the first half hitting the woodwork twice and I felt reasonably confident at half time, only for my mate, who is a heathen ( a Blues supporter) , to message me to remind me Wolves always tend to come on strong in the second half and he was not wrong. How Wolves fired that shot over the cross bar I will never know and Martinez came out with a brilliant reflex save to keep us in the match.

As you say a draw seems fair all round.

Slick

Guru
You certainly can use Glasgow as @Brandane has already said. :okay:

Your right about Gerrard, he is without doubt our biggest asset and when he decides to move on to bigger and better things he will certainly go with our best wishes but I'm certain I won't be the only one who fears it will be a while until we see his equal in the hot seat at Ibrox. He certainly did much more than steadied the ship, he rocked it. :okay:

As for the football, 1 more point. :bravo:

Most of my friends are hoping for a Celtic win (apart from the Celtic fans of course.:laugh:) but I hope we win it at the first time of asking and go to Parkhead as Champions. 🤞

PaulB

Legendary Member
You certainly can use Glasgow as @Brandane has already said. :okay:

Here's one the pedants love; "name the founder members of the football league?" and of course, the first name off your lips will be "Accrington Stanley" and they'll go "NOOOOO!" and take great delight because it wasn't Stanley, just Accrington FC and they'll take great pleasure in telling you it's a different club. Like Accrington is sooooooo MASSIVE there's football grounds at the top of every street only the footy cognoscenti know about.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
Aston Villa are one of the founder members of the football league.

Thanks to the vision of individuals such as this guy.

RIP

This was taken at St Mary's Churchyard in Handsworth.

UTV

Top Bottom