The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
Question about this European Super League. Will the 'big six' and those 'elite clubs' in Europe quit their Premier Leagues to join it. Or will these 'elite' clubs' carry on playing in their own top flights and have this as another competition?

If they do not quit their premier leagues, will the other premier clubs have to rearrange their fixtures to accommodate the 'big six' super league schedule.

Money and greed is going to kill football at the top level. If this happens maybe it's time to consider going to watch Sutton Coldfield Town FC.

AndyRM

XOXO
If they do not quit their premier leagues, will the other premier clubs have to rearrange their fixtures to accommodate the 'big six' super league schedule.

Money and greed is going to kill football at the top level. If this happens maybe it's time to consider going to watch Sutton Coldfield Town FC.

Money and greed killed top flight football a long time ago.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Just heard a Newcastle fan on the radio asking why his club aren't being invited to join this 'super league',seeing as they are a 'massive club'.:rolleyes: 'Massive',yet they've won feck all in my lifetime and before that! Then again if winning trophies is the criteria for joining this 'super league' why are Tottenham being invited to join? :giggle:

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Money and greed killed top flight football a long time ago.
It has indeed killed it. Now the owners want even more and they are asking the “fans” and armchair watchers to pay for it all. Final nail in the coffin for a lot of folk I suspect. SKY , BT TV was is built in football .

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
Speaking to the Today programme, Purslow said: "It would enable a small number of clubs to be in this competition come what may and, for millions of people in football, that goes against everything the sport means and stands for.

"The idea is that the uncertainty that comes with sport, that makes it so compelling, that we all love, is actually damaging to the business models of these huge clubs.

"So the scheme is designed to take away that uncertainty, to give predictability to their businesses so that, if they're badly managed or have a poor year, they're still in the premier tournament.

"Does that sound like sport or football to you? To me it sounds a grotesque concept."

Football should be about how you perform over a season, this will ensure the likes of say Arsenal, who to be honest have been bang average for quite a while now, never have to worry about trying to win anything, they will be in the competition come what may.

Leicester and West Ham fans must be thinking this is a wind up.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Speaking to the Today programme, Purslow said: "It would enable a small number of clubs to be in this competition come what may and, for millions of people in football, that goes against everything the sport means and stands for.

"The idea is that the uncertainty that comes with sport, that makes it so compelling, that we all love, is actually damaging to the business models of these huge clubs.

"So the scheme is designed to take away that uncertainty, to give predictability to their businesses so that, if they're badly managed or have a poor year, they're still in the premier tournament.

"Does that sound like sport or football to you? To me it sounds a grotesque concept."

Football should be about how you perform over a season, this will ensure the likes of say Arsenal, who to be honest have been bang average for quite a while now, never have to worry about trying to win anything, they will be in the competition come what may.

Leicester and West Ham fans must be thinking this is a wind up.
It’s been ruined for long enough now. Champions league is crap . The premier league is boring as well. Football is boring end off now and that’s coming from me who loved playing and all things football .

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
Bundesliga club Borussia Dortmund have said they and German rivals Bayern Munich both rejected proposals to form a breakaway league.

In a statement on Monday, Dortmund chairman Hans-Joachim Watzke said that the members of the European Club Association (ECA) had met on Sunday evening and expressed "a clear opinion to reject the foundation of a Super League".

He added that the two German clubs on the ECA board, Bayern and Dortmund, had taken "100 percent" the same position "in all discussions".

Nice to see the German clubs making an honourable stand.

It’s been ruined for long enough now. Champions league is crap . The premier league is boring as well. Football is boring end off now and that’s coming from me who loved playing and all things football .

One of my mates who is a lifelong Birmingham City fan (don't snigger) no longer goes, and say pretty much the same as yourself, he goes to watch Halesowen Town FC and told me he can enjoy a pie and a pint, get close to the pitch and not feel he is being mugged off by the club

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Bundesliga club Borussia Dortmund have said they and German rivals Bayern Munich both rejected proposals to form a breakaway league.

In a statement on Monday, Dortmund chairman Hans-Joachim Watzke said that the members of the European Club Association (ECA) had met on Sunday evening and expressed "a clear opinion to reject the foundation of a Super League".

He added that the two German clubs on the ECA board, Bayern and Dortmund, had taken "100 percent" the same position "in all discussions".

Nice to see the German clubs making an honourable stand.

One of my mates who is a lifelong Birmingham City fan (don't snigger) no longer goes, and say pretty much the same as yourself, he goes to watch Halesowen Town FC and told me he can enjoy a pie and a pint, get close to the pitch and not feel he is being mugged off by the club
I watched Blackburn Rovers for 30 years in the the old Divisions 2 and 3 and in the Premiership. The Premiership was boring after watching it for 10 years of mostly struggle after the first 3 very successful years. I got bored with football,had a few years off watching it live then started watching Accrington Stanley who then were in the division below the Conference. Yes,you're close to the action and prices at that level tend to be cheaper. For example £4.50 a pint at Blackburn and £1.50 at Accrington after the game..if they win. £2.50 regardless of the result,before and throughout the match. Pie and peas at Blackburn £5...Accrington £2.50. Or you can be a tightwad like me and take your own food. At Blackburn they search your bag and if they find food they confiscate it. At Accrington they don't give a toss.

Last edited:

IpsRich

Then again if winning trophies is the criteria for joining this 'super league' why are Tottenham being invited to join? :giggle:

If I was a Spurs fan I would be feeling a little embarrassed about being part of a competition that is supposedly for Europe's 'leading' clubs. There is a very long list of teams who aren't 'leading' clubs who have all won the League more recently than Spurs. Everton, Leicester, Villa, Leeds, Blackburn, Derby, Forest and even my own long suffering, floundering in league one club, Ipswich.

Top Bottom