The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
they have had the odd star signing aspirilla, ginola, barnes, keegan......but hardly enough to force a long standing challenge at the top of the premier league...i mean when was the last time a trophy was put in the cabinet??? and do you really want players coming just for the payday, like ronaldo, zlatan, sanchez at UTD, or do you want long term stability with a team built over many years???

i guess time will tell, but i think the chronic under investment you talk about isn't what you think.....Mike Ashley spent millions at newcastle, just not the amount of millions the fans wanted.......

Ashley ran the club as a business, which is fair enough. But his stated aim was to make money out of player sales, which is what hacked the fans off so much.

He spent very little, comparative to sides with loftier ambitions.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Ashley ran the club as a business, which is fair enough. But his stated aim was to make money out of player sales, which is what hacked the fans off so much.

He spent very little, comparative to sides with loftier ambitions.
he spent 40m on jeolinton, what do you expect??? i mean come on, what players have you sold that have made money?? have you looked at the spend v Sales....its hardly bank breaking income, he has spent a lot more than he's made in player sales

21/22 - Spent £26m
Sold £0m

20/21 - Spent £34m
Sold £0m

19/20 - Spent £65m
Sold £34m

18/19 - Spent £53m
Sold £ 46m

17/18 = Spent £41m
Sold £14m

so in the past five seasons alone Mike Ashley made £84m in player sales and Spent £219m.........so how does that meet the making money from player sales as you stated above??

source : https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/newcastle-united/alletransfers/verein/762

AndyRM

XOXO
he spent 40m on jeolinton, what do you expect??? i mean come on, what players have you sold that have made money?? have you looked at the spend v Sales....its hardly bank breaking income, he has spent a lot more than he's made in player sales

21/22 - Spent £26m
Sold £0m

20/21 - Spent £34m
Sold £0m

19/20 - Spent £65m
Sold £34m

18/19 - Spent £53m
Sold £ 46m

17/18 = Spent £41m
Sold £14m

so in the past five seasons alone Mike Ashley made £84m in player sales and Spent £219m.........so how does that meet the making money from player sales as you stated above??

source : https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/newcastle-united/alletransfers/verein/762

Joelinton is, frankly, shite, so for that money the Toon faithful would want a decent player I expect.

Ashley got a lot more out of the club than he put in.

jowwy

Joelinton is, frankly, shite, so for that money the Toon faithful would want a decent player I expect.

Ashley got a lot more out of the club than he put in.
but you got no hard facts to prove that, your just a fan wanting more....and throwing out media sound bites

and all us fans are the same, i mean as far as player purchases go, liverpool have hardly broke the bank for the last few seasons. Yes we have an awesome manager who has built a team, but its taken 5yrs with some bumps in the road along the way...but our owners hardly spend any of their own cash, as they want the club to be self funding, with player sales being part of that plan.....for me, that's how clubs should be run

jowwy

whats funny about it?? you linked to a story thats 14yrs old and they don't own our club.....and i stand by my opinion, that clubs should be run as a business and not funded by sugar daddies

AndyRM

XOXO
but you got no hard facts to prove that, your just a fan wanting more....and throwing out media sound bites

and all us fans are the same, i mean as far as player purchases go, liverpool have hardly broke the bank for the last few seasons. Yes we have an awesome manager who has built a team, but its taken 5yrs with some bumps in the road along the way...but our owners hardly spend any of their own cash, as they want the club to be self funding, with player sales being part of that plan.....for me, that's how clubs should be run

Dude. I'm a Kilmarnock fan/supporter/whatever you want to call it. I have a season ticket despite living miles away.

Ashley had barely invested anything in Newcastle, which I know because I live here.

jowwy

Dude. I'm a Kilmarnock fan/supporter/whatever you want to call it. I have a season ticket despite living miles away.

Ashley had barely invested anything in Newcastle, which I know because I live here.
so he didnt leave them debt free, spend over 140m in transfers in the last 5yrs ( according to the above data ). Some may call it pittance, Burnley fans would call that fantastic.........

but hey that's your opinion and this is mine.....

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
whats funny about it?? you linked to a story thats 14yrs old and they don't own our club.....and i stand by my opinion, that clubs should be run as a business and not funded by sugar daddies

I'll try and spell it out.

Since the inception of professional football, outside investment has been central to the on-field success of football clubs. Specifically, Liverpool received investment of this sort to fund their success, hence the amusement, but the same pattern is evident in pretty much every club in every division at various points in their history.

The opposition to outside investment in clubs is generally motivated by a desire to protect the position of incumbents, rather than a matter of high principle. FFP is about securing the wealth of the likes of the Glazers and Henrys, not the integrity of the game. It is very amusing to see those whose club's position was enabled by external investment to attempt to mount moral high horses when others do the same.

The only thing different about the modern game is that there is sufficient revenue possible, through TV, sponsorship and merchandise, to pay back these investments if they are successful, which was not really ever the case through gate receipts in the the good old days. ie modern sugar daddery has more potential to be sustainable.

Happy to help!

jowwy

I'll try and spell it out.

Since the inception of professional football, outside investment has been central to the on-field success of football clubs. Specifically, Liverpool received investment of this sort to fund their success, hence the amusement, but the same pattern is evident in pretty much every club in every division at various points in their history.

The opposition to outside investment in clubs is generally motivated by a desire to protect the position of incumbents, rather than a matter of high principle. FFP is about securing the wealth of the likes of the Glazers and Henrys, not the integrity of the game. It is very amusing to see those whose club's position was enabled by external investment to attempt to mount moral high horses when others do the same.

The only thing different about the modern game is that there is sufficient revenue possible, through TV, sponsorship and merchandise, to pay back these investments if they are successful, which was not really ever the case through gate receipts in the the good old days. ie modern sugar daddery has more potential to be sustainable.

Happy to help!
investment into a club is part of making money and spending what you earn......it doesnt mean having a billionaiire owners who dip into their own pockets and fund the club themselves. Theres a difference between the two. Also with the likes of city, chelsea, they did it with huge dodgy sponsorship deals linked to the owners....

and again, nothing that you have stated changes MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION on how a club should be run.......i dont speak for all liverpool fans, i speak for myself

jowwy

Rest assured, I have zero intent or expectation of changing an all-caps opinion you, or indeed anyone else on social media, holds.
and just for reference as you stated FFP came in to protect the wealth of Henry at FSG...

your quote here " FFP is about securing the wealth of the likes of the Glazers and Henrys, not the integrity of the game. "

The Financial Fair Play regulations were introduced by UEFA in 2009, FSG bought liverpool in 2010.......so they were already in place before they bought the club and came into effect from season 11-12, therefore FSG we hand tied on how much personal investment they could plough into the club...

but dont let that sway your opinion on investent in LFC

Top Bottom