The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
EFL scrap Covid tests on the day of matches to stop late call-offs after anger among all 72 clubs
Alan Nixon

THE EFL have scrapped Covid tests on the day of a game to stop late call-offs.

This move is coming into force immediately after several matches were left in the balance by a wait for checks that have led to postponements.

EFL players will no longer be tested for Covid on a matchday unless they are showing symptoms

There has been anger among the 72 clubs and the EFL that this has led to fans going to matches and being left frustrated by results that lead to games being shelved.

Blackburn fans had to jump back on the supporters' coaches on Boxing Day - after already arriving at Hull's stadium before the official cancellation at 12.56pm, two hours before kick-off.

So under the new protocols, no player will be tested on a matchday unless he is showing symptoms.

It is a decision backed by the medical experts too who do not think there is any risk involved by avoiding the ‘on the day’ tests.

On Boxing Day, just nine of the 32 scheduled matches in the EFL went ahead, including just two out of ten in the Championship.

It was a similar tale on Wednesday.

There were supposed to be 28 games across the Championship, League One and League Two.

However, 19 were postponed with nine of the 11 in the fourth tier cancelled.

And on Thursday morning, Tranmere announced their game at Salford on New Year's Day was off because of a Covid outbreak within the Rovers squad.

Italy has joined France in making vaccination compulsory for anyone wanting to play outdoor team sports, meaning Premier League players will need to be jabbed in order to move to Serie A this January.
The Italian government met this week to implement urgent changes to its coronavirus restrictions, with every sportsperson in the country - from the professional game to the amateur divisions - needing a 'Green Pass' in order to take part.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...king-vaccination-COMPULSORY-sports-stars.html

yello

Can the players off to AFCON be counted in the 'non available' figures ?
I don't know in truth but I suspect not. I imagine club's have to make do.

As a fellow Foxes supporter can I ask your current thoughts on Jamie Vardy.

The years are obviously taking their toll and whilst he does have that pace in spurts, he's not haring around for 90 minutes making a nuisance of himself as he used to. He's still an ace finisher though and you'd back him most times to score given sight of goal. Defenders have been getting wise to him for a few years now but he'll still get away from them. He's always likely to be caught offside, it's the way he plays; sometimes he gets it right, sometimes not.

We're exceedingly lucky to have Patson Daka, who has Vardy's pace and goal instincts, to give Vardy a bit of a rest. Daka's shown his worth much sooner than I was expecting - which is a bit of a godsend tbh. Shame he too is out injured for 3 weeks... if one can trust our medical team's estimates... which I am now starting to wonder about!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
re covid cancelations there will be much furore at the end of the season when some teams will be playing 3 games a week every week to catch up missed fixtures. There is pretty much a span of +-3 games played across the leagues and in the prem, burnley have played 5 less than ManC and Chel and 4 less than the other 2 in the relegation zone.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Italy has joined France in making vaccination compulsory for anyone wanting to play outdoor team sports, meaning Premier League players will need to be jabbed in order to move to Serie A this January.
The Italian government met this week to implement urgent changes to its coronavirus restrictions, with every sportsperson in the country - from the professional game to the amateur divisions - needing a 'Green Pass' in order to take part.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...king-vaccination-COMPULSORY-sports-stars.html
How will that work for travelling teams in European cups?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
How will that work for travelling teams in European cups?
I took from the article the examples of Liverpool and England Rugby Union players not being allowed to play. The article aside I feel it's clear if a country has a regulation it should apply to visiting teams equally with home teams.

The "Green Pass" is given to a player 15 days after his/her first jab meaning there is no excuse for traveling sides to complain or circumvent the rule.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yesterday playing Huddersfield we came up against the best team I've seen at Ewood in a couple of months. Pleased to say we maintained our attacking approach but came up against a defence which wasn't going to be panicked by the pace three or four of our younger players have. Huddersfield came for a draw and I'm pleased we didn't lose. You can't score 3 or 4 every game. Losing at home would have narrowed the gap to three points, instead we moved in to second place. I'm very happy with that.

January is going to be a testing month. Two away games at Cardiff and Luton which we must look to get at least four points from and 'Boro at home when again I think I'd take a draw. Seven points out of nine would be a great return for the month.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220103-063850.png
    Screenshot_20220103-063850.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 0

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
OK.
2:2 away to Chelsea was a decent result.
2 up (IMO) is often a dangerous score but we really should have won.
Again IMO Mane was lucky to stay on the pitch.
As an LFC fan I enjoyed the game though.
It was a great game especially first half.

I think the result was fair so not agreeing you should've won. Both goalies pulled off some cracking shots and we had one on your woodwork.

Mane should've walked although I wouldn't get any satisfaction from us beating a team a man short for what amounts to a whole game.

Salah's goal superb.

Kovacic's even better.

Played well into City's hands - clear favourites to win the league and still the best team in the land. Grrr!

Top Bottom