The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Grimsby Town return to the Football League having defeated Solihull Moors 2-1 after extra time in the National League playoff final.

Good. 'Solihull Moors' sounds like a non league club. Grimsby Town sounds like a proper lower league club.:okay:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Well done and congratulations WALES. Ground out a good result there.
On the grounds of having Welsh relatives, I now have a team to support during the world cup.
Mind you, I was always going to have 3, wasn't I, @PaulB ? :laugh::laugh:
Now I can finalise my flag purchases. :smile:

Chislenko

Veteran
Well done and congratulations WALES. Ground out a good result there.
On the grounds of having Welsh relatives, I now have a team to support during the world cup.
Mind you, I was always going to have 3, wasn't I, @PaulB ? :laugh::laugh:
Now I can finalise my flag purchases. :smile:

Outstanding displays from previously discarded Wayne Hennessey, sometime Tottenham player Ben Davies, and Liverpool reject Neco Williams.

You'd have to be twisted and wilfully ignorant to find that funny in any sort of way.

You know me so well. :hello:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Outstanding displays from previously discarded Wayne Hennessey, sometime Tottenham player Ben Davies, and Liverpool reject Neco Williams.

What makes you think Williams is a Liverpool reject? He's been on loan to Fulham who've been promoted and been good enough to make the Wales team. How's that a reject?

Screenshot_20220606-184028.png

Chislenko

Veteran

Yes, I sat in a lot of those half empty stadiums during the Toshack era, when there would be just a handful of us at away games and we took some terrible beatings on the pitch.

But I believe what Toshack did laid the foundations for what we have now. He took a chance on young kids (Bale at 16 etc) knowing full well we weren't going to win much but that by getting these kids to 50 odd caps by the time they were mid 20's he was building the nucleus of a team for the future which although some years in the making came to fruition at Euro 2016 etc. In my opinion Brian Flynn, the under 21 manager at the time, should also get some credit for unearthing a lot of those kids.

Whilst I realise a lot of the praise for Wales current "success" is heaped upon Gary Speed I do think some of the journalists / pundits should not overlook the contribution of Flynn and Toshack.

Top Bottom