The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Well, today will mark the end of a long and miserable season for Chelsea fans, which both of us here number ourselves amongst.

A knee-jerk HMG embargo (that's enough of that otherwise it's NCAP for me) on club activity, a forced disposal and then...

... a club purchase by footballing "newbies', a scattergun approach to transfers, ridding the club of some very capable senior staff, one disasterous managerial appointment and one calamitous interim-manager appointment.

Leading to our worst season for over 30 years. :sad:

Biggest fear? That we'll be out in the relative wilderness as per Arsenal post-Invincibles or MUFC post-Fergie.

Or even 40 years of lack-lustre struggle as per MCFC.

Hoping to see some green shoots next season. :smile:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
God help them. Maybe a decent season or two then a miserable one ending in relegation. Brighton and Bournmouth will find that out in the next few seasons, the PL is no longer a place where the smaller clubs can survive for very long.

Hopefully Burnley will join them!

Red17

Veteran
God help them. Maybe a decent season or two then a miserable one ending in relegation. Brighton and Bournmouth will find that out in the next few seasons, the PL is no longer a place where the smaller clubs can survive for very long.
Realistically only 1 season, but Luton should raise enough money to pay for their new stadium, and a more realistic chance of a return a couple of years down the line.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Realistically only 1 season, but Luton should raise enough money to pay for their new stadium, and a more realistic chance of a return a couple of years down the line.

Promotion to the EPL is reportedly worth £170 million to a club. Spent wisely that money can be used to secure a healthy infastructure that will serve the club well into the future even if they go down straight away. Pissed up the wall on transfer fees or players wages it can lead to financial meltdown if it doesn't work - and it rarely does.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

I agree with this and your following post in particular. I would say though that 10 of the current PL fall in to this category and its really a case of nothing but survival to play for.

With Everton and Leeds likely to be relegated the Championship is a forgone conclusion next season unless one of those two implode.

Just goes to show how rotten the system is, my club, Rovers, are probably at best looking at a playoff spot. We can't even think of competing with the cash Leeds and Everton will throw at their squads. I really do not think it's fair badly managed, poorly performing clubs should be given such a huge advantage over the other 22 Championship clubs.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Feel sorry for Leicester.
I was hoping Everton would go down. They have been rubbish for ages.

Me too! They 'scab it' every year! :headshake:

Slick

Guru
Facebook reminded me this morning it's 14 years since a true Rovers legend retired. One of the finest players to grace the pitch at Ewood and a very decent man. We will never forget you.

I'll add a little story. Years back when Tugay was still playing I was on holiday in Turkey. I lost my wallet and went to report this to the police. I only wanted a report number. The young officer wasn't interested until he saw my Blackburn address.

"Tugay?" he beamed at me.
"Yes. I go every week"

He was as loved in Turkey as he was in Blackburn. True football has no boundaries.

View attachment 691121
Still a favourite with the Rangers fans as well. :okay:

potsy

Rambler
Congratulations to Carlisle on their playoff win, close game and only penalties could split the teams.
On the plus side we get to play Accrington next season, and renew a sort of rivalry with the Hollywood darlings Wrexham :girl:
After promotion last year it was always going to be a big ask to do back to back, the squad will be stronger, an exciting season to come...

Top Bottom