The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
St Mirren are a perfect example with a huge buzz around Paisley because a top 6 spot is in their grasp. Success is relative and I find it exciting on their behalf.

There was a similar buzz in Killie when we were punching way above our weight. Didn't take long for that to fall apart though, and we're in real trouble now. We've never scored many goals, but this is beyond a joke now.

I read the other day that we're currently on the longest losing run for a top-flight league in Europe. An unwelcome record to hold!

Slick

Guru
There was a similar buzz in Killie when we were punching way above our weight. Didn't take long for that to fall apart though, and we're in real trouble now. We've never scored many goals, but this is beyond a joke now.

I read the other day that we're currently on the longest losing run for a top-flight league in Europe. An unwelcome record to hold!
Yeah got to be hard to take after flying high for so long. Probably different if your a fan but I've always struggled to pinpoint exactly what happens to a team, I suspect blaming losing the manager is a bit simplistic although it may just be as easy as it looks.

AndyRM

XOXO
Yeah got to be hard to take after flying high for so long. Probably different if your a fan but I've always struggled to pinpoint exactly what happens to a team, I suspect blaming losing the manager is a bit simplistic although it may just be as easy as it looks.

A few factors in our case. Mostly due to the 'seasoned' pros at the club not liking Clarke's replacement, Alessio, and then replacing him with Dyer who'd openly said he didn't want the job...

It was truly baffling because Alessio had us in 5th when he was sacked, OK we weren't playing particularly great football but we were hard to beat. Been in free-fall since.

We also lost a lot of the quality in that side (MacDonald, Boyd, Jones, Taylor, Brophy and Findlay more recently) and the replacements haven't been great, but why would they be when they've mostly been playing non-league football in England?

PaulB

Legendary Member
Cowdenbeath's average attendance is just over 300. Colne's is just over 200.

I can understand why folk outside of Scotland think that we've only got Rangers and Celtic to choose from, but that's simply not the case. Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen all have large fan-bases. The smaller sides are less well supported, for a variety of reasons.

It would help if the media wasn't relentlessly focussed on the Old Firm derby, and that smaller clubs were given more credit, but that side of things is definitely ingrained and generally annoys fans who don't support either of those two.

Trying to make a liar out of me by looking for things going his way! If you read it, I wrote 'we get more fans watching Colne than Cowdenbeath had THAT NIGHT.' And that was certainly true that week. By a long way as well. But maybe you missed that bit. It was a cup-tie thingy I was invited to after working all day in theatre with a consultant up there who was on the board or something so he took me along.

I also took part in the National Fell Running relay championship one year held in Stirling and a coach-load of us stayed in a hotel attached to Stirling's ground. We were worried en-route because Stirling were at home and we were using their car park for the hotel and we arrived while the game was going on. There were plenty of spaces so we thought it must be their reserves but no, it was their first team and it was quieter than Goodison on a league-cup night, this year!

PaulB

Legendary Member

AndyRM

XOXO
Trying to make a liar out of me by looking for things going his way! If you read it, I wrote 'we get more fans watching Colne than Cowdenbeath had THAT NIGHT.' And that was certainly true that week. By a long way as well. But maybe you missed that bit. It was a cup-tie thingy I was invited to after working all day in theatre with a consultant up there who was on the board or something so he took me along.

I also took part in the National Fell Running relay championship one year held in Stirling and a coach-load of us stayed in a hotel attached to Stirling's ground. We were worried en-route because Stirling were at home and we were using their car park for the hotel and we arrived while the game was going on. There were plenty of spaces so we thought it must be their reserves but no, it was their first team and it was quieter than Goodison on a league-cup night, this year!

I'm well aware of what you wrote, thanks, perhaps I misinterpreted but to me it read that you reckon Colne get more fans than Cowdenbeath, which isn't the case.

Stiling Albion's average attendance is even higher at around 400.

I'm not having a go or anything, it just annoys me when folk take the pish out of Scottish football without really knowing anything about it.

Slick

Guru
Thought this was quite apt after some disparaging comments about football north of the border from a guy who couldn't care less about the whole top division never mind the old firm. :okay:

View: https://twitter.com/ScotlandSky/status/1365664018527105031?s=20

Top Bottom