The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As much as I'd love to be playing against Accrington next season I'm hoping it's Carlisle for you :tongue:

I still remember going to a pre-season friendly at your place many years ago, before you made it out of none league.

My brother traveled regularly to Stockport County matches on Friday nights, in a friend's 'plastic rocket', Robin three wheeler, in the late 1970's, early 1980's. :wacko: 🤔

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Facebook reminded me this morning it's 14 years since a true Rovers legend retired. One of the finest players to grace the pitch at Ewood and a very decent man. We will never forget you.

I'll add a little story. Years back when Tugay was still playing I was on holiday in Turkey. I lost my wallet and went to report this to the police. I only wanted a report number. The young officer wasn't interested until he saw my Blackburn address.

"Tugay?" he beamed at me.
"Yes. I go every week"

He was as loved in Turkey as he was in Blackburn. True football has no boundaries.

FB_IMG_1684916479525.jpg

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Great night for Killie last night, with only our second away win this season meaning we can't be automatically relegated and a point on the last day of the season secures our top flight status. Just. First time we've scored 3 goals since I can remember too!

Cracking away support as ever - 1,200 odd making a 200 mile round trip. Given what the fans have been offered on the road this season, that's an amazing effort!

Great night for Killie last night, with only our second away win this season meaning we can't be automatically relegated and a point on the last day of the season secures our top flight status. Just. First time we've scored 3 goals since I can remember too!

Cracking away support as ever - 1,200 odd making a 200 mile round trip. Given what the fans have been offered on the road this season, that's an amazing effort!
That's great support :okay:

pjd57

Veteran
It really is.

Outside the 5 city/big clubs (Old Firm, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen) we have the biggest travelling support. Partly I think that's down to blind faith, but also because Rugby Park can be a bit soulless. An 18k stadium with a core support of roughly 5k isn't great when it comes to atmosphere.

I used to enjoy a visit to Rugby Park.
But for some reason they now prefer thousands of empty seats to taking our money.

But for some reason they now prefer thousands of empty seats to taking our money.
I take it your a Celtic supporter?
Can i pose a question to you.Do you ever get complacent or blase knowing every season that you'll not going to lose many matches in the Scottish Premiership due to the competition and that you are always going to finish in the top two and will qualify for the champions league every season.
I'm not trying to be funny here but just being curious because there is such a big gap between the old firm and the other clubs.

AndyRM

XOXO

To be honest, I'd rather the empty seats than giving up the stadium to the opposition, regardless of who they are. Sections of the old firm faithful are notoriously badly behaved, both in and around the ground.

pjd57

Veteran
To be honest, I'd rather the empty seats than giving up the stadium to the opposition, regardless of who they are. Sections of the old firm faithful are notoriously badly behaved, both in and around the ground.

If you have problems with Celtic or their fans just say so.
This " old firm " stuff is tedious at best.
lumping the clubs and their fans together ignores the difference in the clubs and the fans.

Bad behaviour, every club has a percentage who are ar$eholes.
None including Kilmarnock are exempt from this.

pjd57

Veteran
I take it your a Celtic supporter?
Can i pose a question to you.Do you ever get complacent or blase knowing every season that you'll not going to lose many matches in the Scottish Premiership due to the competition and that you are always going to finish in the top two and will qualify for the champions league every season.
I'm not trying to be funny here but just being curious because there is such a big gap between the old firm and the other clubs.

Complacent, no .
I've been going to games since 1967.

This season was my first with a pensioners concession.
Under £300.
Works out under £14 a game .
Still love it and enjoy the cycling there and back , even through the winter.

I just wish clubs would all get together and sort out away tickets

Chislenko

Veteran

During my tour of Scottish grounds some years back I have to say Rugby Park was one of the most unwelcoming I visited.

From the officious car park attendant to the equally obnoxious stewards it was a day to forget.

They were not even playing one of the old firm on the day I visited (Hibs) .

I wouldn't hurry back there.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Still love it and enjoy the cycling there and back , even through the winter.
Where do you put/park your bike at such a big ground as Celtic Park? I bet you can't chain it to some railings like I used to do at Accrington's ground, before major renovation. :okay: Even then, I kept an eye on it just in case, which meant I spent a lot of the game bike and not football watching.

AndyRM

XOXO
If you have problems with Celtic or their fans just say so.
This " old firm " stuff is tedious at best.
lumping the clubs and their fans together ignores the difference in the clubs and the fans.

Bad behaviour, every club has a percentage who are ar$eholes.
None including Kilmarnock are exempt from this.

Generally, I don't, which is why I was careful to say that it's only certain elements of the support. Apologies if it came across that way, that was not my intention.

Not sure why you find "Old Firm" tedious? That's what I've always known Rangers and Celtic as?

During my tour of Scottish grounds some years back I have to say Rugby Park was one of the most unwelcoming I visited.

From the officious car park attendant to the equally obnoxious stewards it was a day to forget.

They were not even playing one of the old firm on the day I visited (Hibs) .

I wouldn't hurry back there.

It can be a weird place, though improvements have been made, probably not helped by having a paranoid lawyer as owner for so long. The standing section is class for example.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65654937
Well done to The Hatters, no not your lot @potsy, though best wishes for today :okay:, on winning promotion to the top flight. My team beat Luton to the League 2 title 5 years ago.... and now we are worlds apart! :rolleyes:

God help them. Maybe a decent season or two then a miserable one ending in relegation. Brighton and Bournmouth will find that out in the next few seasons, the PL is no longer a place where the smaller clubs can survive for very long.

Top Bottom