The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
He was pretty poor though, but also a poor decision from the board. But it's what we've come to expect.
I was willing to give him another season at least as it did seem that the team were starting to come good.

How can he be poor if he got them up to 6th plus a cup final ?
I am no expert but that seems quite good to me.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

The Arsenal game for one. That was just dreadful. As I said, I was happy to give him anther year, the last 5 games saved him in my eyes.

AndyRM

XOXO
I think that's what makes it such a weird decision. On reflection a poor season overall, but salvaged some pride and a European spot by the end.

It would be funny if Mourinho came back, which isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I think that's what makes it such a weird decision. On reflection a poor season overall, but salvaged some pride and a European spot by the end.

It would be funny if Mourinho came back, which isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

I remember when Mourinho was linked with Liverpool and I literally felt my stomach turn....thought I was going to be physically sick.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The Arsenal game for one. That was just dreadful. As I said, I was happy to give him anther year, the last 5 games saved him in my eyes.

Last year my team (Falkirk) had an OK season under our new manager John McGlynn. However in the playoffs we were hammered 6-2 away from home in one of the most embarassing defeats in our history. At halftime and 5-0 down, fans were screaming for the manager to go and in the weeks following there were strong demands for him to be sacked.

This year the same manager has taken us to an undefeated invincibles league season and promotion.

Thank Bod for a board that decided to go with a bit of continuity after 5 managers in 5 years.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Last year my team (Falkirk) had an OK season under our new manager John McGlynn. However in the playoffs we were hammered 6-2 away from home in one of the most embarassing defeats in our history. At halftime and 5-0 down, fans were screaming for the manager to go and in the weeks following there were strong demands for him to be sacked.

This year the same manager has taken us to an undefeated invincibles league season and promotion.

Thank Bod for a board that decided to go with a bit of continuity after 5 managers in 5 years.

It was probably Aunt Flo with the sensible head on that made that decision, but yes, one poor game isn't the managers fault, its generally the players letting him down.

West Ham fans need to be careful what they wish for having pretty much forced Moyes not to renew is contract after their most successful period in recent times.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

It seems to be 'the word' that he either wanted more control over transfers ie the old coach vs manager debate, or that he was simply not aligned to the 'project'.

'Poor' is a relative term imo. No silverware and to finish so far behind the top 3 in the EPL rates as poor to me.

To be fair to Poch he had one hell of an injury situation to manage although there are speculative suggestions that his training regime was at least partially to blame.

It was probably Aunt Flo with the sensible head on that made that decision, but yes, one poor game isn't the managers fault, its generally the players letting him down.

West Ham fans need to be careful what they wish for having pretty much forced Moyes not to renew is contract after their most successful period in recent times.

David Moyes has been playing the most dull,dreary low block football this year and i should know as i'm a season ticket holder.He sets this same style up whether we are playing Man City or Sheff Utd.
We have shipped 74 goals and only the three relegated teams have a worst goals against.
I will back the new manager who ever he is (probably Julen Lopetegui)and give him some time to settle in.
Thanks David Moyes for the last 3 and a half seasons but i'm glad i'm not watching "Moyesball" next season!
Please don't believe what's been written in the media no West Ham supporter has forced David Moyes out.

AndyRM

XOXO
Quite a win for Atalanta tonight. First ever Europa League final hat trick and bringing Leverkusen's incredible unbeaten run to an end.

AndyRM

XOXO
Bit harsh on Southgate, no? Pretty sure he said he wanted to get him into the men's squad quickly after they'd won the U-20 world cup, before Nigeria stepped up their efforts. Suspect there may have been parental/heritage pressure there too.

If he was a defender he'd probably have had more opportunities with England, or a goalkeeper; how Pickford keeps getting a game is beyond me.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
David Moyes has been playing the most dull,dreary low block football this year and i should know as i'm a season ticket holder.He sets this same style up whether we are playing Man City or Sheff Utd.
We have shipped 74 goals and only the three relegated teams have a worst goals against.
I will back the new manager who ever he is (probably Julen Lopetegui)and give him some time to settle in.
Thanks David Moyes for the last 3 and a half seasons but i'm glad i'm not watching "Moyesball" next season!
Please don't believe what's been written in the media no West Ham supporter has forced David Moyes out.

all I'm saying is you'll appreciate Moyes more in season to come when you're battling away in the bottom half of the prem table

albion

Guru
Bit harsh on Southgate, no? Pretty sure he said he wanted to get him into the men's squad quickly after they'd won the U-20 world cup, before Nigeria stepped up their efforts. Suspect there may have been parental/heritage pressure there too.

If he was a defender he'd probably have had more opportunities with England, or a goalkeeper; how Pickford keeps getting a game is beyond me.

I am not 100% sure about that. Southgate went for consistency/loyalty when in fact we probably had a historic level of talent.
It might have backfired for the lad, Nigeria having issues paying players even before the recent currency collapse.

Chislenko

Veteran
I am not 100% sure about that. Southgate went for consistency/loyalty when in fact we probably had a historic level of talent.
It might have backfired for the lad, Nigeria having issues paying players even before the recent currency collapse.

Not an England fan myself but they do appear to have an abundance of good players at the moment. For some of the dual qualified players they would probably struggle to get a handful of caps whereas they may reach a fair number with other countries.

Matty Cash, Michael Olise spring to mind.

Carl Jenkinson also springs to mind, switched his allegiance from Finland to England and got one cap in a friendly, probably could have amassed a fair few if he stayed with Finland.

I know the English FA have been courting two of our youngsters recently (Charlie Crew, Leeds & Lewis Koumas, Liverpool) It does appear to be trying to take them for the sake of it when you look at England's player pool compared to ours.

On the England front the young boy at Port Vale (Dipepa?) looks one for the future.

Many years ago the English FA approached Gareth Bale (his dad is English) but thankfully Gareth knew where his roots were.

Last edited:
Top Bottom