FNRttC The Fridays' Tour, 2018

Would you like a centre-based Tour in a town in France in July?

• Yes

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[QUOTE 5147864, member: 21629"]Will confirm my participation as soon as I will solve things related to work but basically I should be with @Fab Foodie.[/QUOTE]
..... well I’ve now got the transport....
Fuel and accomodation costs estimated, just need to look at ferries from Dover to Calais :-)

Fab Foodie

Please can we keep the religious bullshit out of this?
Help, help.... we’re being oppressed....

Fab Foodie

Just had a look…308km from Calais to Lisieux. Bit of a drive!!
Considering we do Deal to Turin or Deal to Fort William in one go it’s no distance. Some people ride bikes that far ;-)

Tacey

Über Member
Current plan is that people might cross the channel overnight on the Saturday night. So no ride on the last Saturday. Hence the Friday is the last day.
Some may stay on, but I think nostril travel home on the Saturday.
This is because if folk rent a house for a week it'll be from the Saturday night to the Saturday morning, so they'll have to leave their rented house on the Saturday, then travel home.
So Friday is the last day.
And I would guess Friday evening would be The Last Supper.
Thanks Martin. Happy to do likewise a la nostril travel (is that another way of saying, "follow your nose"?^_^

Tacey

Über Member
If trainline use the same system as voyages-sncf then that randomly loses trains and does all kinds of strange stuff. All Lisieux-Caen trains currently on bahn.de:

So, 22.07.2018
08:51
09:25
0:34 TER

11:09
11:36
0:27 TER

11:28
11:53
0:25 IC

13:09
13:36

13:28
13:53

16:28
16:53

17:09
17:36

17:51
18:24
0:33 TER

19:16
19:43

ETA: most of them are TER which can't be booked. Turn up and ride.
Thank you!

Reactions: mjr

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Bump…
Finally got round to sorting the bookings, after I finally got the leave form back for 13 July…didn't get that day (boo!) which rules out getting the overnighter, so I'll be getting the 8.15 to Ouistreham on Saturday morning. At first, I booked a ferry back on Sunday night (whoops!) but amended that, back from Le Havre Saturday night. Ibis Budget.
…and I've just amended the bookings. I'll be going home Friday night from Ouistreham (1630 ferry). I could have gone for the 2200 overnighter and join you all for all the last day's riding, but then I'd want a cabin & I'd still have to miss The Last Supper. Reason for amendment: Ministry gig in the smoke Saturday night. I've never missed a London show from them, and the last one was one of the best. That or sitting on the boat wishing I was there? No contest.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
In researching travel arrangements for The Tour in July, it seems the fast ferry (Brittany Ferries hydrofoil-like thing) from Portsmouth to Cherbourg may be an attractive option for some.

Going out on the first Saturday is a 9am departure from Portsmouth, arrive Cherbourg at 1pm which gives time for trains to Lisieux.

For the return journey, a train on the final Saturday morning from Lisieux to Cherbourg (change at Caen) would allow you to be on the 5pm out of Cherbourg, arriving at Portsmouth at 7pm in time to be sure of trains into London and perhaps beyond. Taking the afternoon ferry from Caen makes it a bit tight to get into London and certainly makes travel beyond London very late.

An alternative might be to do an overnight crossing from Caen and this would allow you to ride to Caen if you wanted.

Quite a few have signed up for the email updates only recently so will have missed the Tour details: there'll be an update soonish.

Top Bottom