FNRttC The Fridays' Tour, 2018

Discussion in 'CycleChat and Recreational Rides' started by mmmmartin, 1 Oct 2017.

?
  1. Yes

2. Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Tacey

Tacey Well-Known Member

Thank you!

mjr likes this.
  2. StuAff

StuAff Silencing his legs regularly

…and I've just amended the bookings. I'll be going home Friday night from Ouistreham (1630 ferry). I could have gone for the 2200 overnighter and join you all for all the last day's riding, but then I'd want a cabin & I'd still have to miss The Last Supper. Reason for amendment: Ministry gig in the smoke Saturday night. I've never missed a London show from them, and the last one was one of the best. That or sitting on the boat wishing I was there? No contest.

3. OP
    OP
    mmmmartin

mmmmartin Random geezer

In researching travel arrangements for The Tour in July, it seems the fast ferry (Brittany Ferries hydrofoil-like thing) from Portsmouth to Cherbourg may be an attractive option for some.

Going out on the first Saturday is a 9am departure from Portsmouth, arrive Cherbourg at 1pm which gives time for trains to Lisieux.

For the return journey, a train on the final Saturday morning from Lisieux to Cherbourg (change at Caen) would allow you to be on the 5pm out of Cherbourg, arriving at Portsmouth at 7pm in time to be sure of trains into London and perhaps beyond. Taking the afternoon ferry from Caen makes it a bit tight to get into London and certainly makes travel beyond London very late.

An alternative might be to do an overnight crossing from Caen and this would allow you to ride to Caen if you wanted.

Quite a few have signed up for the email updates only recently so will have missed the Tour details: there'll be an update soonish.

4. Nick Saddlesore

Nick Saddlesore Well-Known Member

SNCF are having 'perturbations' at irregular intervals for at least the next three months. Presumably they close for summer holidays after that.

mmmmartin likes this.
  5. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Which trains will run is being announced on www.sncf.com at 17h the day before. This seems a big dispute.

6. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

You have another contact via the website form with an observation you might want to address reasonably swiftly.

7. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

Most urgent observation addressed swiftly - thank you @mmmmartin

mmmmartin likes this.
  8. StuAff

I'm sticking with the ferries I've already booked via Caen. Riding from Cherbourg to Lisieux doesn't appeal that much, as as for the end of the week, I am not going to miss that gig! Remember that mad rush after Bordeaux all too well…

9. OP
    OP
    mmmmartin

mmmmartin Random geezer

The strikes should be over by the time we go.

*should*

10. StuAff

Does anyone know what is likely to be open in Lisieux on 18 July? I'd like to know if I need to bring my dinner with me.......

11. OP
    OP
    mmmmartin

mmmmartin Random geezer

12. OP
    OP
    mmmmartin

mmmmartin Random geezer

Those planning to cross the channel on the night of Friday July 13, or in the day of Saturday July 14 will be pleased to note they'll be free during the day of Friday July 13, and so will be able to take part in the anti Trump demonstrations.

13. StuAff

....still hoping someone can answer the question, 'What will be open on Fete Nationale?'......

14. Nick Saddlesore

Nick Saddlesore Well-Known Member

Rien.
    Then it's Sunday, when everything is closed.
    As Bastille Day is on a Saturday, many places will close Monday.
    And presumably those which usually close Monday will close Tuesday.
    Wednesday there may be a national strike.

Bring sandwiches.

Moodyman, StuAff and mmmmartin like this.
  15. StuAff

Ta. That's what I thought. Was planning to have lunch on the ferry anyway, but I'll bring sarnies for my dinner......

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice