FNRttC The Fridays' Tour, 2018

Would you like a centre-based Tour in a town in France in July?

• Yes

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EatSleepRideRepeat

AKA Martin from Wales
So I did we might want only two or three emplacements and they said it was necessary only to email them and she what you wanted and they would inform the campsite guardian.
lisieux-tourisme@agglo-lisieux.fr
Is the email address.
One assumes they know it won't be full or that the guardian will make a note of your request for a pitch.
Yep, that sounds a convincing shot in the dark.

ianmac62

Guru
I'll keep this joke in English, then! Mind you, my great-grandfather had only Gaelic and no English.

In today's Guardian, an article on windfarms on Lewis (Eilean Leòdhais), following a story that the crofters want their own wind-farms and see no reason why multi-nationals should own them, quotes a Lewis man as saying, "I've lived with wind and gales on my croft for decades and it's only now I've worked out how to make money from it. All I need is to find a way of making money from rain and dark nights and I shall be a millionaire!"

My family is from Gigha (Eileen Giogha) where, after a community buy-out from the last landlord, the islanders erected three wind farms which they named Faith, Hope and Charity.

I'll keep this joke in English, then! Mind you, my great-grandfather had only Gaelic and no English.

In today's Guardian, an article on windfarms on Lewis (Eilean Leòdhais), following a story that the crofters want their own wind-farms and see no reason why multi-nationals should own them, quotes a Lewis man as saying, "I've lived with wind and gales on my croft for decades and it's only now I've worked out how to make money from it. All I need is to find a way of making money from rain and dark nights and I shall be a millionaire!"

My family is from Gigha (Eileen Giogha) where, after a community buy-out from the last landlord, the islanders erected three wind farms which they named Faith, Hope and Charity.

You might be interested in an upcoming Radio 4 broadcast then

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09qhbt6

ianmac62

Guru
Much appreciated @Crackle - I'll give that a listen. In the notes on the programme webpage, there's mention of Joe Teale who runs the only shop on Gigha ... and the only bike-hire facility. Particularly trendy bikes for Gigha. Here's his shop on a lovely August day.

IMG_0060.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Another email has flooded in. Sadly, this is in French and not in English, hence my need to post it in a non English language.

Monsieur,

J’accuse réception de votre demande d’informations pour un futur séjour au camping de la Vallée à Lisieux.

Il n’y a bien sûr aucun soucis pour vous réserver des emplacements. Le mieux serait de nous dire quelques jours avant (ou dès que vous avez l’information) le nombre d’emplacements dont vous airez besoin, pour les tentes et pour les campings cars. Pour cela, vous pourrez reprendre contact avec le gardien, Monsieur Platel, que vous avez déjà contacté.

Les tarifs 2018 sont les suivants

Forfait 1 « petites installations », dans l’espace tentes : 12 € (compris 2 personnes, emplacement ,véhicule, eau sur les emplacements, accès aux sanitaires)

Forfait 2 Grandes tentes, caravanes, campings cars) : 14 € (compris 2 personnes, emplacement et véhicule, eau sur les emplacements, accès aux sanitaires).

Par adulte supplémentaire, par emplacement (à partir de la troisième personne) : 3.70 €

Non compris dans ces tarifs

Electricité : 3 € (4 ampères), 4.10 € (8 ampères), 5.10 € (1 ampères)

Taxe de séjour (par nuit et par personne adulte) : 0.50 €

Je précise aussi que le camping n’accepte pas les règlement par carte bancaire. Le règlement sera donc à effectuer en espèces auprès du gardien.

Enfin ,je précise que le camping ne dispose pas de local fermé pour garer les vélos.

Vous souhaitant bonne réception de ces précisions, et restant à votre disposition.

Bien cordialement.

Emmanuel PACCAUD

Directeur

OFFICE DE TOURISME DE LISIEUX PAYS D'AUGE
11 rue d'Alençon - BP 26020 - 14106 Lisieux Cedex
Tél. +33 (0)2 31 481 810 - Fax. +33 (0)2 31 312 767
epaccaud@agglo-lisieux.fr
www.lisieux-tourisme.com
www.villes-sanctuaires.com

EatSleepRideRepeat

AKA Martin from Wales
Another email has flooded in. Sadly, this is in French and not in English, hence my need to post it in a non English language.

Monsieur,

J’accuse réception de votre demande d’informations pour un futur séjour au camping de la Vallée à Lisieux.

Il n’y a bien sûr aucun soucis pour vous réserver des emplacements. Le mieux serait de nous dire quelques jours avant (ou dès que vous avez l’information) le nombre d’emplacements dont vous airez besoin, pour les tentes et pour les campings cars. Pour cela, vous pourrez reprendre contact avec le gardien, Monsieur Platel, que vous avez déjà contacté.

Les tarifs 2018 sont les suivants

Forfait 1 « petites installations », dans l’espace tentes : 12 € (compris 2 personnes, emplacement ,véhicule, eau sur les emplacements, accès aux sanitaires)

Forfait 2 Grandes tentes, caravanes, campings cars) : 14 € (compris 2 personnes, emplacement et véhicule, eau sur les emplacements, accès aux sanitaires).

Par adulte supplémentaire, par emplacement (à partir de la troisième personne) : 3.70 €

Non compris dans ces tarifs

Electricité : 3 € (4 ampères), 4.10 € (8 ampères), 5.10 € (1 ampères)

Taxe de séjour (par nuit et par personne adulte) : 0.50 €

Je précise aussi que le camping n’accepte pas les règlement par carte bancaire. Le règlement sera donc à effectuer en espèces auprès du gardien.

Enfin ,je précise que le camping ne dispose pas de local fermé pour garer les vélos.

Vous souhaitant bonne réception de ces précisions, et restant à votre disposition.

Bien cordialement.

Emmanuel PACCAUD

Directeur

OFFICE DE TOURISME DE LISIEUX PAYS D'AUGE
11 rue d'Alençon - BP 26020 - 14106 Lisieux Cedex
Tél. +33 (0)2 31 481 810 - Fax. +33 (0)2 31 312 767
epaccaud@agglo-lisieux.fr
www.lisieux-tourisme.com
www.villes-sanctuaires.com
Sterling effort mmmmartin, well done.
Looks like a possibility of sharing a camp space, even at the higher rate for the large tent it would reduce the cost.
Anyone want to share?
Booking can be done at a later date, Monsieur Paccaud seems very laid back about the urgency of booking.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Monsieur,

{My notes in braces... this is a fairly literal translation so I hope you get the idea.}

Sir,

I acknowledge receipt of your request for information about a future stay at the Lisieux Valley campsite.
There is not of course any care about your reserving some pitches. {In other words, it's OK.} The best would be to tell us some days before (or whenever you have the details) the number of pitches that you will need, for the tents and the camping cars. For that, you can resume contact with the caretaker, Mr Platel, that you have already contacted.

{I think the tarrif options are understandable?}

I state also that the campsite doesn't accept payment by bank card. The payment will be therefore effected in cash to the caretaker.

Finally, I state that the campsite doesn't have any local secure place to store the bikes.

{Closing waffle and salute...}

Tacey

Über Member
Ok, so I've waded through all the bits about camper vans and lovely photos of outer Hebrides. I've got it that we actually start riding on Sunday 15/7. Can I confirm the end date? I'd hate to miss the last supper as it were. If folks are intending on kipping in Le Havre on the Sunday night, does that mean the last time we all gather for an evening meal will be the Saturday? I'm planning to spend a week in St Malo after the Fridays week, so just wondering about dates to book accomodation. If everyone is dispersing on Sunday morning (ie no rides planned), we'll do likewise.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Current plan is that people might cross the channel overnight on the Saturday night. So no ride on the last Saturday. Hence the Friday is the last day.
Some may stay on, but I think nostril travel home on the Saturday.
This is because if folk rent a house for a week it'll be from the Saturday night to the Saturday morning, so they'll have to leave their rented house on the Saturday, then travel home.
So Friday is the last day.
And I would guess Friday evening would be The Last Supper.

Tacey

Über Member
Well it appears the decision might have been made for me. It looks like it's impossible to go Lisieux-St Malo on the Sunday, so we'll be say au revoir on the Saturday, last supper or no!

Tacey

Über Member
Closer inspection shows something amiss with trains Lisieux-Caen on 22/7. I can't tell if this is because the french intercity site doesn't take bookings this far ahead or whether there are engineering works or something as trainline.eu shows bookings for the complete journey lisieux/caen/dol/st malo on 21/7 or 23/7. Could be worth checking out if anyone is planning on going to Caen on the Sunday.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Closer inspection shows something amiss with trains Lisieux-Caen on 22/7. I can't tell if this is because the french intercity site doesn't take bookings this far ahead or whether there are engineering works or something as trainline.eu shows bookings for the complete journey lisieux/caen/dol/st malo on 21/7 or 23/7. Could be worth checking out if anyone is planning on going to Caen on the Sunday.
If trainline use the same system as voyages-sncf then that randomly loses trains and does all kinds of strange stuff. All Lisieux-Caen trains currently on bahn.de:

So, 22.07.2018
08:51
09:25
0:34 TER

11:09
11:36
0:27 TER

11:28
11:53
0:25 IC

13:09
13:36

13:28
13:53

16:28
16:53

17:09
17:36

17:51
18:24
0:33 TER

19:16
19:43

ETA: most of them are TER which can't be booked. Turn up and ride.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
A few thoughts & questions....

Martin posted on FB that the audax-type ride might not be happening a month back. I think this was before I got my bookings sorted though…and suffice to say I've been playing around with route ideas for 100 miles or thereabouts, all welcome to join me.

All the mention of food itself brings the thought to mind…Buffalo Grill for first or last supper, anyone?

Also: Anyone have any knowledge of what will be open on 14 July? I assume the boulangeries will be, but what about bars & restaurants…I'll probably have lunch on the boat, but if I need to bring a sandwich for tea I'd like to be forewarned.

Anyone travelling on the same ferries as me (0815 to Ouistreham on the 14th, 1700 from Le Havre on the 21st)? I will of course be riding, SNCF options are lots of faffage.

Top Bottom