The gearing is just too high - what should i do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

B-B-BikeyStrike!

Hi,

My brief road cycling career took a bit of a hit today as I cycled round Richmond park. I've never had that many problem with the hills on my BadBoy, but on my Boardman I found that I run out of gears.

I tend to spin my pedals rather then push, especially up hills. The 53/39 - 12-25 gearing is a bit challenging.

Would changing the rear cassette to a 12-27 help matters much? Should i spend money i don't have on a new compact crankset? Or should i just train for the hills? Its not the big steep ones that are a problem. Its the long, slow gradients that really kill me. Maybe its the Xmas time has made me out of shape.

Bearing in mind I'm going to do the Etape Caledonia this year, I really need to be able to do hills! Ta.

zacklaws

Guru
I made the same mistake and bought a road bike with a double chainset on and found that I struggled up big hills, small hills were a doddle as I had the approach speed to fly up them, but anything long over 14% was hard. Having since bought a new road bike with a triple chainset, I have reduced my climbing times by half to two thirds and just spin up them.

But what little I know about London, I would not have thought that there would be any big hills in Richmond park to worry you on a double so maybe you just need a little bit more effort.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
One way is to change cassette to a 12-29 (IIRC is a shimano one that is SRAM compatible but not sure if you have rear mech/chain length issues :biggrin:). Then put in the miles so your spinning a bit less and grinding a bit more. Interval training can also help build leg strength too. There's only one hill to worry about on the EC but it's not a killer (IMO) and your rewarded with a bigger descent than what you climbed :biggrin:.
Sure there will be other more knowledgable who can advise further but HTH :biggrin:

27's leave a couple of big gaps so I'd stick with the 12 - 25's.

Would suggest practice maintaining your cadence with the increased load that going uphill brings (try to maintain the same cadence as when you cycle on the flat), alternative pedalling techniques to give parts of your leg muscles a rest and a decent pair of lightweight wheels.

Your lowest gear is currently 41 inches whilst a compact would give you 35.7. Changing to a 12-27 casette would get you down to 38 inches or a 12-29 would get 25.3.

I suggest compact chainset as best option, followed by 29t rear granny gear (although this will mean you get big jumps in gearing).

Or.....lots of hard work!

gavintc

Guru
The 12-27 will work, not sure about the 12-29 as I think the rear derailleur will struggle with that one. Fitness takes time and there is no embarrassment in starting with lower gears. Work away over the year, I am sure that by the end, you will switching back to the 12-25 cassette.

OP
OP
B-B-BikeyStrike!

B-B-BikeyStrike!

I'm quite fit already i think, I've just been spoilt by the luxury of having a triple chainset on my older bikes.

I'm not sure how much of a difference a 27 ring would make, i dont want to buy one if it only partly solves the problem. And a new chainset is expensive. I think I'll work on my fitness and pedalling technique and see how that goes.

GrasB

Veteran
I'd drop to a 12-27 cassette, you can pick up a Shimano 105 12-27 cassette at CRC for £35, less than the price of the cheapest compact chainset. If that isn't enough then I'd go for a compact chainset.

B-B-BikeyStrike! said:
I'm quite fit already i think, I've just been spoilt by the luxury of having a triple chainset on my older bikes.

I'm not sure how much of a difference a 27 ring would make, i dont want to buy one if it only partly solves the problem. And a new chainset is expensive. I think I'll work on my fitness and pedalling technique and see how that goes.

Good man. Keep at it. I was surprised to see you start this thread as when i moved from the badboy to a compact chainset roadbike, all of a sudden Richmond park became a hell of a lot easier. You've reassured me that the compact was the right decision. Thanks.......so.....i should look out for a Boardman on my commute now then!

OP
OP
B-B-BikeyStrike!

B-B-BikeyStrike!

Tollers said:
Good man. Keep at it. I was surprised to see you start this thread as when i moved from the badboy to a compact chainset roadbike, all of a sudden Richmond park became a hell of a lot easier. You've reassured me that the compact was the right decision. Thanks.......so.....i should look out for a Boardman on my commute now then!

Yeah - a compact chainset is a great idea. Shame i didnt think of that when i got my Boardman!

I've got a nice hill opposite my house, Telegraph Hill in New Cross. Well, when I say 'nice', I actually mean unpleasantly steep, but it is quiet. And no pain no gain right?

OP
OP
B-B-BikeyStrike!

B-B-BikeyStrike!

GrasB said:
I'd drop to a 12-27 cassette, you can pick up a Shimano 105 12-27 cassette at CRC for £35, less than the price of the cheapest compact chainset. If that isn't enough then I'd go for a compact chainset.

Well thats the thing, i dont know whether it is enough, I have no real way of knowing. I'm eyeing up a Campag Veloce 13-29 cassette, I'm looking forloinly at my chainset now, i think there is enough chain to take it.

Top Bottom