The 'Growth' Of STI Levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been re-fettling an old bike, that's just been hanging in the garage, for at least 10 years, as SWMBO has suggested that I have a sort out
And, I've offered this one, to someone 'free'/'gratis', if he collects

Particularly, as we've moved things around to get her new car in
Damn silent these hybrids!!!

Bit of background...…………………...
It's my old commuter, a Tange 'chro-mo' (cantilevered) frame from St John Cycles
I changed all the componentry from my (of the time) Raleigh Ultima, onto it
(mainly, as the Ultima wouldn't take proper mudguards as a commuter)

As happens, after years of no use, the STIs had got sticky, it would change down (lower gear) the cassette, but not up to a higher gear
Putting it at an angle on the workstand, and spraying liberal quantities of red diesel into the 'brifters' got a result (after a bit of soaking in)
Yellow. 1.JPG

I did notice how short the levers were, compared to modern STIs
Granted my CGR has rather long bodied 'brifters', but it is on hydraulic discs
The 2013 'blue' Ribble 'Audax' (as they advertised it) still has rather long lever bodies

So.…………. like a sad git, I had a look at my other bikes, to compare/contrast

The missing one, is the 1994 Dyna-Tech , with Ultgra 8-speed, as that's a bit unaccessible, at the moment, at the very rear of the garage

'Yellow'
RX100, 8-speed
STI. 1997.JPG

2009 CX bike
105, 10-speed
STI. 2009.JPG

2010 Ridley Orion
Ultegra, 10-speed
STI. 2010.JPG

2013 Ribble 'blue'/'winter'/'audax'
Tiagra, 10-speed
STI. 2013.JPG

2015 Ribble Gran Fondo
Ultegra 11-speed (mechanical)
STI. 2015. 1.JPG STI. 2015. 2.JPG

2017 Ribble CGR
Tiagra, 10-speed (hydraulic discs)
STI. 2017.JPG

Yours in geekiness

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
You should see the teeny tiny first and second generation Ergopowers. It felt like you were going to lose your grip and slip forwards off the bike. Never did of course but the third generation are comfy comfy comfy.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
As happens, after years of no use, the STIs had got sticky, it would change down (lower gear) the cassette, but not up to a higher gear
Putting it at an angle on the workstand, and spraying liberal quantities of red diesel into the 'brifters' got a result (after a bit of soaking in)

Forgive me asking, but do you mean it would change easily to a smaller cog, but not to a bigger one ?

I ask because I'm having similar issues (though not as extreme) where changes onto a bigger cog (ie against the return spring) are iffy, and in fact got worse after I'd sprayed loads of GT85 into the shifter (though it may be a result of other things I did at the same time :sad:).

freiston

Veteran
But as well as the hoods getting longer, at the same time the reach/ramps of the handlebars have been getting shorter - possibly because the shifters are built into the brake lever, then people are spending more time on the hoods than they used to and want to be closer to the shifters than they would be on the ramps. Drops have been getting shallower too - but nowadays, many non-racing cyclists seem to have the tops a lot lower than a few years ago.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I like the big fat ST-RS505 hydraulics on my bike.

I have biggish hands and find them really comfy, much more so than my 'normal' 105's on my old bike.

Some people say they are ugly. I don't think they are but if I did I can't see that being something that would bother me. They're just a shifting and braking device at the end of the day.

si_c

Guru
Some people say they are ugly. I don't think they are but if I did I can't see that being something that would bother me. They're just a shifting and braking device at the end of the day.
They are pretty ugly with that bulbous head but I get the feeling I wouldn't notice it when riding.

Forgive me asking, but do you mean it would change easily to a smaller cog, but not to a bigger one ?

I ask because I'm having similar issues (though not as extreme) where changes onto a bigger cog (ie against the return spring) are iffy, and in fact got worse after I'd sprayed loads of GT85 into the shifter (though it may be a result of other things I did at the same time :sad:).
It was problematic/'hit & miss' changing up the cassette, I use the expression for a higher gear (numerically lower; 19 >17 > 15 > 13. etc...)

I like the big fat ST-RS505 hydraulics on my bike.
I have biggish hands and find them really comfy, much more so than my 'normal' 105's on my old bike.

RS505 on my CGR too

Last edited:
Top Bottom