The 'Growth' Of STI Levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
I found that my hands slid a bit, on my (2013) Tiagra hoods, but I only wear gloves when it's cold enough, no 'track-mitts'

Fair enough, I tend to wear gloves all the time unless in the hottest of weather - I remember losing all the skin on one of my hands as a kid from a hand/tarmac interfacing. Rather not have it happen again.

Fair enough, I tend to wear gloves all the time unless in the hottest of weather - I remember losing all the skin on one of my hands as a kid from a hand/tarmac interfacing. Rather not have it happen again.
I realise that fact

Maybe I'm tempting fate, & poking it with a big stick (by writing this...), but, I've not had any 'offs'/RTCs for over 20 years
Barring two black-ice slides (& 1 diesel), but those were in winter - so gloved

freiston

Veteran
I can't remember the last time that braking from the hoods wasn't sufficient for me. But saying that, it's a long time since I rode a fully laden bike in the wet at speed. I've never used STI levers either.

Levo-Lon

Guru
The latest gen hydraulic ones do look a bit large compared to cable versions.
Ive not tried a bike with them yet, im not sure about the look aesthetically.
But as with most things you get used to them after a while.

Whoever thought we would have single chainring 12 speed and disc brakes on a racing bike a decade or so ago

mgs315

Oddly despite being pretty small and not having what I’d all large hands, I find the 505 levers to be really comfortable. More so than anything else I’ve tried. Being so bulbous means I find resting my palms on the top of them comfortable too, giving me another position to use to rest my wrists at times (albeit I then have no way of chasing gear or braking so I don’t do it in a bunch or on anything technical).

Then again the frame I’ve got is a tad on the short side reach wise so that may help me get into a decent position on the hoods. May all change if I get a longer stem as I intend to do soon.

Top Bottom