The Helmet Debate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
We each have our own reasons behind our choices.

I prefer to use one, but what anyone else does is no one's business but their own.... IMHO of course.
We each have our own reasons behind our choices.

I prefer to use one, but what anyone else does is no one's business but their own.... IMHO of course.

For those that have decided to use them. Can you explain why it seems that in order to keep it safe whilst not riding your bike, why do you lock it it with the same lock you are using for the bike.

Some people are even making certain that their locks will fit through by cutting out parts of the helmet! Its not done with any other piece of equipment used for cycling, or is it?

G-Zero

Über Member
For those that have decided to use them. Can you explain why it seems that in order to keep it safe whilst not riding your bike, why do you lock it it with the same lock you are using for the bike.

Some people are even making certain that their locks will fit through by cutting out parts of the helmet! Its not done with any other piece of equipment used for cycling, or is it?

Erm... Simple answer to both your questions is "No".

I never leave my bike unattended in a public place and I never leave my helmet locked to my bike and I've never seen it done. My bike comes in to the office when I'm at work and my helmet gets slung over the bars, with my gloves and specs inside it. Nothing gets removed from the bike and even my expensive light stays in place.

Personally, I wouldn't be happy cutting bits out of my helmet as that could have an impact on its integrity.

If I was to apply a bit of logic to answering your query, I would guess that if someone didn't want to carry their helmet around and wanted to leave it with their bike, that securing through it with their main lock would be a more viable option than carrying a second lock, or am I missing the point of your question ?

It seems to me that if someone is happy enough to leave a helmet locked up with their bike, and the lock was cut and the bike stolen, the owner wouldn't be too bothered about the helmet going too.

classic33

Leg End Member
Erm... Simple answer to both your questions is "No".

I never leave my bike unattended in a public place and I never leave my helmet locked to my bike and I've never seen it done. My bike comes in to the office when I'm at work and my helmet gets slung over the bars, with my gloves and specs inside it. Nothing gets removed from the bike and even my expensive light stays in place.

Personally, I wouldn't be happy cutting bits out of my helmet as that could have an impact on its integrity.

If I was to apply a bit of logic to answering your query, I would guess that if someone didn't want to carry their helmet around and wanted to leave it with their bike, that securing through it with their main lock would be a more viable option than carrying a second lock, or am I missing the point of your question ?

It seems to me that if someone is happy enough to leave a helmet locked up with their bike, and the lock was cut and the bike stolen, the owner wouldn't be too bothered about the helmet going too.

It is the main(only) lock that is used to secure both which is why part of the helmet requires removal, to allow the lock to travel through it.
But having decided the helmet was required in the first place, why damage it before you use it. I've not seen it done with anything else on a bike.

A small cheap cable lock will be enough

Or you used to be able to get a small t shaped metal bracket that fitted through a vent and the padlock passed through the leg

Dan_h

Well, at least if you leave a helmet with your bike and someone steals it you won't have to worry about them breaking their head if they crash...

if helmets work that is, you know, depending on whether you believe that or not... then again, perhaps if you don't lock up a helmet with your bike and someone steals it are you responsible for any head injury they may get like if someone breaks into your home and hurts themselves?

ETA for spelling.

Bicycle

This could be such a fun thread, with all the usual zealots preaching to all the usual mischievous trolls who keep poking them with sticks....

And instead we have a query about people cutting holes in helmets to lock them to bicycles.... which is something it seems no-one else is aware of.

Can we do no better than this?

Can't we post things like this:

My friend has a cousin who used to cut holes in helmets and he (the cousin) said that every time he did it he heard twenty baby seals dying. He then cycled with the helmet on his arm instead of his head, and increased the likelihood of death in a threshing machine by up to and including 17.2 %.

My friend has a cousin who used to cut holes in helmets and he (the cousin) said that every time he did it he heard twenty baby seals dying. He then cycled with the helmet on his arm instead of his head, and increased the likelihood of death in a threshing machine by up to and including 17.2 %.

References? :whistle:

Bicycle

Why bring religion into it?

Can you prove that? Where is your proof?

Why not bring religion into it? Why not eat more Cassoulet?

Why didn't you answer the question?

This is so typical of the narrow-minded holders of whichever view it is you hold.

And this is true by up to more than half the accidents on cul-de-sacs last Tuesday.

Which is a fact. Helmets? Pah!

That scarey scar on his chin would have happened with or without a lid. but then i wear a lid and always have had since I sat in a bent and twisted heap next to the car i had just bounced off looking at a cracked lid and thinking "I'm pleased that's not my head". :banghead:

I have quite
Are you telling me helmetism is not a religion? :angel:

I have quite Catholic tastes in head gear, and am not at all Evangelical in promoting their use. Mainly because a lot of the evidence is Shiite, as the way it is researched is not Methodist and therefore flawed.

However when the weather is Suuni I believe they can be too hot.

Do what you want and Pray that you do not make a decision that upsets relatives who can make your life Hell.

Top Bottom