The Helmet Debate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan_h

Its your safety do what you like. Give me your reasons if you actually have any, why its a good idea to not wear a helmet while cycling.

Okay, it is lunch time and my lunch has been eaten so to fill the void between my next meeting I shall bite... I may regret this at some point though....

I think you are looking at this the wrong way. I do not wear a helmet when cycling, but never have I woken up and thought "oh I have a good idea, let's not wear a helmet from now on".

I have read a lot about helmets and their pros and cons. There have been many studies published and yet I remain unconvinced that in the event of an accident a helmet is going to save my life. If you think like I do then the matter of whether to wear a helmet or not comes down to a personal choice. I choose not to wear a helmet. Others, for whatever reason, choose to wear a helmet. I have never criticised anyone for wearing one, although I have been berated for not wearing one.

Often the people who feel that I should wear a helmet are those who are not cyclists or have recently started cycling. These people have a feeling that cycling is a dangerous activity to begin with, an view that based on years of cycling experience I do not share.

marafi

Rolling down the hills with the bike.
1642338 said:
Is the gentlemen's agreement on unsolicited and unsubstantiated helmet endorsement still extant?

Yes it is valid though, everyone has their own opinions. If there is no opinion then why should there even be a debate in the first place. It would seem my own opinions has certainly made you annoyed from your own opinions. Fine perhaps there is no excuse for my thinking even across the board while typing this. Even further on the statement, i would not agree to those who cycle without a helmet.

marafi

Okay, it is lunch time and my lunch has been eaten so to fill the void between my next meeting I shall bite... I may regret this at some point though....

I think you are looking at this the wrong way. I do not wear a helmet when cycling, but never have I woken up and thought "oh I have a good idea, let's not wear a helmet from now on".

I have read a lot about helmets and their pros and cons. There have been many studies published and yet I remain unconvinced that in the event of an accident a helmet is going to save my life. If you think like I do then the matter of whether to wear a helmet or not comes down to a personal choice. I choose not to wear a helmet. Others, for whatever reason, choose to wear a helmet. I have never criticised anyone for wearing one, although I have been berated for not wearing one.

Often the people who feel that I should wear a helmet are those who are not cyclists or have recently started cycling. These people have a feeling that cycling is a dangerous activity to begin with, an view that based on years of cycling experience I do not share.
Perfect comment. I certainly agree with you on that base on your point. Fine perhaps my wording of saying it is 'silly' is not right. Perhaps, within opinions of others i prefer to wear a helmet and others wish not to.

marafi

1642377 said:
My only request is that you take the time to read earlier debate on the subject rather than restarting the same things from scratch. It could save a load of pixels from dying in vain.
Just read the title of the thread. Perhaps i will do that later on reading the first post. Also lastly on that note from before. Would you agree that you learn from experience from accidents to incidents.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I've certainly learnt from experience. I've actually bothered to look at the evidence, and I don't wear a helmet.

Cycling since July 1960

Dan B

Disengaged member
1642338 said:
Is the gentlemen's agreement on unsolicited and unsubstantiated helmet endorsement still extant?
Only applies to gentlemen, though, which lets me out

tyred

Legendary Member
Its your safety do what you like. Give me your reasons if you actually have any, why its a good idea to not wear a helmet while cycling.

Because it would look silly on top of my hat
F_Cycling_thru_Dublin_clar145.jpg

Top Bottom