The Hour by Michael Hutchinson

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

I've just finished it. Excellent read.

Anyone here want it? If not I'll post in the cafe.

First to reply wins! PM me your address and I'll stick it in the post.

The only "condition" is that you pass it on to another forum member once you're done.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've PM'd you!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I finished the book this morning. Yes - it was a very good read.

I was very interested in the VO2 max figures for Hutchinson and for the 'average person'. I knew that genes were important but I didn't realise they were that important - MH stated that the person with an average VO2 max could train as hard as they liked and they would never get close to his untrained level and I'm sure that he wasn't boasting!

PS Hutch has just recorded a new UK national 50 mile TT competition record time - 1 hr 35 mins 27 secs. That's an average speed of 31.43 mph... yikes :angry:!

*** Okay, as instructed, I will now pass the book on to the next person to post in this thread to request it. ***

Archie

Errrr.....
Oh wow, I'd love to get my hands on it, sounds perfect holiday reading! :angry:

However, I go on holiday this weekend so if you can't get it to me by then I'll have to pass. :angry:

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

ColinJ said:

I was very interested in the VO2 max figures for Hutchinson and for the 'average person'. I knew that genes were important but I didn't realise they were that important - MH stated that the person with an average VO2 max could train as hard as they liked and they would never get close to his untrained level and I'm sure that he wasn't boasting!

PS Hutch has just recorded a new UK national 50 mile TT competition record time - 1 hr 35 mins 27 secs. That's an average speed of 31.43 mph... yikes :biggrin:!

*** Okay, as instructed, I will now pass the book on to the next person to post in this thread to request it. ***

Yeah the VO2Max stuff fascinated me. Very candid. Makes sense to me - I know a few folk who've always been "naturally" good at sports. Is there a way you can measure this without expensive equipment?

yenrod

ColinJ said:

PS Hutch has just recorded a new UK national 50 mile TT competition record time - 1 hr 35 mins 27 secs. That's an average speed of 31.43 mph... yikes ;)!

Serious speed!

Tetedelacourse said:
Yeah the VO2Max stuff fascinated me. Very candid. Makes sense to me - I know a few folk who've always been "naturally" good at sports. Is there a way you can measure this without expensive equipment?

Not really, a VO2max test involves exercising in increasing rate steps to the point of almost collapse/vomiting whilst being connected to tubes measuring how much air (and hence oxygen) you're inhaling v.s how much CO2 you're exhaling.

It's a seriously unpleasant experience !

I tried it 5 years or so ago running on a treadmill and it became just too awful, I couldn't breathe through the tubes properly and it was too claustrophobic and intense for me.
It didn't help that I was acting as a guinea-pig for some sports science students, who were arguing amongst themselves and clearly weren't sure what they were doing, and the equipment was playing up so they were constantly fiddling with it.
I didn't have the confidence in them or the equipment, no confidence that the result was going to be accurate the way they were going about it, so I bottled it and stopped before getting to the ultimate point.

I'd be tempted to have another go, but this time on a stationary bike rather than treadmill, and only with testers and equipment I believe in !

I've seen tables where you can look-up race times for 5K's, 10K's, Half Marathons, etc and get a VO2max from them - these are tables of the times of runners whose VO2max's have been measured, so they're a reasonable prediction rather than a scientific measurement.
- I score very averagely.:becool:

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

Ah. that doesn't sound too pleasant right enough. I'll content myself with a VO5max of 70% - when I had flowing locks of course.

Top Bottom