The "How much?" or "You're havin' a giraffe!" thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
We used to sell Puch in the bike shop back in the 70's as the cheapest bikes we dare sell. Basically we had to stock something that people would buy if Raleigh / Falcon were too expensive. Better that than them walking away.

Shoddy is too good a word for them,bthe flat plate for the rear brake was particularly unattractive...

s-l300.jpg

Shaun

Rousey0193

Regular
I stumbled across what must surely be the most expensive nuts on the planet the other day...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-Vinta...856950?hash=item3ad95d0bf6:g:1IAAAOSwMgdXx-9y

Are they made of solid gold? Does the seller come and fit them for you?

OP
OP
mikeymustard
I really like this bike but - how much?
Please feel free to shoot me down in flames if I'm out of line here (and I hope I'm not dissing someone on this forum :blush:) but I have an issue with this baby and I'm not just talking about the price!
If they really had to repaint the frame, couldn't they have stretched to a proper paint job? The powdercoating looks nice but not a grand nice, and I'm not sure why he has stickered it as a Record when it wasn't like that originally
s-l1600.jpg

Otherwise - all good! :thumbsup:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A local to me seller is selling his recently acquired Sun Manx tt its a thing of beauty for sure but he hasnt said much in his listing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162438729256?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

its been tastefully bought up to date or late 80's with some components and they suit it well and dont look out of place either till you start looking closely , he did tell me how much he paid for it and he stands to make a fair profit i for one would not sell it .

Be interesting to hear what @Spokesmann has to say ?

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
A bit expensive seeing that a lot of the original parts are gone. Built for time trialling. Very short wheelbase made until about 57 I believe. Nearer 450 I'd say.

OP
OP
mikeymustard
A bit expensive seeing that a lot of the original parts are gone. Built for time trialling. Very short wheelbase made until about 57 I believe. Nearer 450 I'd say.
It's a fascinating way of getting such a short wheelbase, sort of like an upside down Flying gate.
I know it's not quite as well known as say a Baines or a Galibier but I really like it, and I can see why he's looking for that sort of money if people are asking silly money for these sort of unusual frames, but ultimately I suppose the market will decide

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

he asked me what i thought it was worth and i didnt have a clue but suggested 350 - 500 or 150 to myself strangely enough he didnt let me take it away

It's a fascinating way of getting such a short wheelbase, sort of like an upside down Flying gate.
I know it's not quite as well known as say a Baines or a Galibier but I really like it, and I can see why he's looking for that sort of money if people are asking silly money for these sort of unusual frames, but ultimately I suppose the market will decide

He has a habit of asking high prices then they plummet like a stone so keep an eye on it

Certainly an eye opener and one i would like to tryout

OP
OP
mikeymustard
@biggs682 can't understand why he wouldn't let you buy it for 150!
I can see the sense in starting high if you're not in a hurry to sell, I could certainly see it selling for £500.
I'd love to try it too, can we Cycle Chat crowd fund it and share it round? :smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@biggs682 can't understand why he wouldn't let you buy it for 150!
I can see the sense in starting high if you're not in a hurry to sell, I could certainly see it selling for £500.
I'd love to try it too, can we Cycle Chat crowd fund it and share it round? :smile:

@mikeymustard you and me both i mean it would be the 3rd bike i have bought from him

i would contribute £25 for a weeks worth

Top Bottom