The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
With @tatr completing this years challenge...in spectacular stle with a loop of Singapore, that takes us to 13 completed riders. A new record.

Scores on the doors.
2008 - 5
2009 - 3
2010 - 2
2011 - 5
2012 - 5
2013 - 7
2014 - 7
2015 - 11
2016 - 12
2017 - 13
Er, 2017 starts on Sunday I think......

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A few pics from the day

20170102_131955s.jpg

20170102_140400s.jpg

20170102_141149s.jpg

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Over the last few months a certain @Supersuperleeds has been gentlely persuading me to give the Imperial challenge a go . So to stop the nagging I'm in . Jan ride about to be posted

Well done chap, You are also top of the mycyclinglog group as well :bravo::bravo:

We need to try and do a few 100 milers together this year. What you doing Saturday :whistle:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
No ice tomorrow, and no more than a moderate breeze, so I'm hoping to give it a go. The plan is Forest of Dean, a lesser known section of the river Wye, Malverns, Upton on Severn and Eckington Bridge on the river Avon. Foreign lands to most on this thread sadly, but maybe that will change.

Good luck to everyone in 2017.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A pass was granted, so off I went. I'm not sure what the price will be in the end though.

I've updated the log. There were definitely some things worth reporting (all good) but I'm thinking that Your ride today.... might be a better place for a write-up because you tend to get more likes there. Hope I don't live to regret that!

In fairness, I think there is some sense in this, because most of the stuff that gets written (by me certainly) about individual qualifying rides is just as likely to be interesting to those outside the challenge.

rb58

Enigma
I find solo rides hard work, and today was no exception. They lied when they said it wouldn't rain, and it felt very cold. But it was the wind which made it really tough, especially the middle third of the ride when I was along the coast. But, having said all that, 100.4 miles for the day. At an average speed that Team Slow would be proud of - 14.14mph. That's January nailed. And I am knackered.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I was so tired yesterday, I'm amazed I was able to be as coherent as I seem to have been. Anyway, it's at bit late for Your ride today.... now, so I'll post a few pictures here.

Here's the river Wye looking north-west towards Fownhope, a couple of miles below its confluence with the river Lugg, which is where I left it:

Ballingham.jpg

Sadly I wasn't equipped to photograph the kingfishers. A little later, after climbing the Malverns at Hollybush, there is an expansive view across the Severn Valley towards the distant Cotswolds, to which this picture barely does justice:

Hollybush.jpg

Bredon Hill, about 12 miles away, is the imposing bulk on the left horizon.

And finally, the reason why Upton-upon-Severn so often features on my rides. One of my speculative designs for a 200-miler visits it three times:

Upton.jpg

It's also a very pleasant little riverside town. Notice the CTC "cyclists welcome" sign on the wall in the background. Not that I've ever checked out what's on offer, but I've seen plenty of cyclists doing so.

Having picked a day which promised to be ice free, I was surprised to pass along two valleys the Forest of Dean which were still completely ice-bound. The temperature profile in Garmin Connect confirms a sudden drop of 5°C, and an equally abrupt return to the previous level before dropping again. I presume it was a case of cold, heavy air becoming trapped in a deep valley and being unable to escape. Quite an eye-opener really - it's common enough to see icy ponds and puddles hanging around for some time after the weather has warmed, but this was on a totally different scale.

Did I say I was completely knackered? A good start none the less. January is done, and there's and plenty to look forward to.

Top Bottom