The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Left mine even later, but got it done today. Off the bike for over a week earlier in the month with man flu & still suffering a little which made this month's ton quite a challenge. Got a fortnight off work in middle of June, so hopefully plenty of time to get an earlier ride in next month :okay:
I'll post details up in a bit

rb58

Enigma
That's June done. Friday Night Ride to the Coast Shoreham Edition. Super warm night, stunning route, great breakfast at Shoreham airport, speedy ride home with @ianrauk on Saturday morning. Full write up will be in the FNRttC Shoreham thread as soon as I've got my brain working again.

Oh, and that's a new Eddington number - 105.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Purists may complain that I broke the "no stops at your home rule". Well, as I was on hols it wasn't really my home, and at each stop I did nothing more than drink coffee, eat snacks, use the facilities, refill bottles - nothing more than I would at a cafe stop.
It's clearly troubling you. You need to do another one for June or you'll forever feel 2017 has an asterisk.

In other news, Steve Abraham's Strava activities seem to be up to date again.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Qualifying ride for June done today. It was a ride I've been intending to do for some time, and which I was quite pleased with, so I'll do a proper write-up, though perhaps not today!

In the meantime, I should mention that Strava seems to have "stolen" a few tenths of a mile from both my last two rides. Garmin Connect and RWGPS both get it right. For obvious reasons, in the context of this challenge a discrepancy of this sort could be quite important. In the case of today's ride, having the ride recorded as 119 miles instead of 120 would matter since 120 is my long-term target Eddington number, but since I'm using RWGPS for that purpose it becomes more academic, though still irritating.

When I have a moment, I'll check my recent rides in detail to see if something really does seem to have changed.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I always make sure I have at least 1km, preferably two, in hand on the odometer to combat GPX shrinkage.
Certainly I wouldn't expect a ride to come out exactly the same length as the planned route on which it's based, even if followed exactly, although I find they're always within a few tenths of each other. But for Strava to deduct distance from a finalised and uploaded .fit file is another thing entirely. Have you ever seen that?

Anyway, having checked through my last half a dozen rides, it seems that yesterday's incident is so far an isolated occurrence. I was wrong about the previous ride. It was actually 100.97 miles, showing on the display and on RWGPS as 101.0, so no discrepancy there.

Yesterday I have the following: Garmin Connect 120.33 miles; RWGPS 120.3 miles; Strava 193.0 km / 119.9 miles.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
No, but to be honest I've not looked. It doesn't surprise me. The difference will arise from different processing algorithms. For instance how a site deals with the "dither" while you are stationary, or smoothing out odd points that are off track.
I wasn't convinced, so I went through all my century rides since the start of the year when I began uploading from the 520.

The problem I've described happened once before, on February 4th, but it wasn't so noticeable because the drop was from 103.68 miles to 103.39. On 16 rides out of 18 there is complete agreement.

I would have thought that of all the processes the various algorithms need to to, working out the distance would be one of the most robust, and most of the time the different sites do seem to achieve admirable consistency. The two cases where Strava gets a different answer look like errors rather than differences of opinion.

But I agree that giving oneself a buffer of a mile or so looks like a good precaution whatever's going on here. It's not so easy when targeting a specific number, as I'm sometimes sad enough to do. It looks as though by making sure the decimal is .8 or thereabouts, I should be OK.

13 rider

Guru
June done another Leicester to Lincoln ride in the company of @Supersuperleeds and @tallliman his time north of the Trent . 130.1 miles . @tallliman first 200 km

rb58

Enigma
I wasn't convinced, so I went through all my century rides since the start of the year when I began uploading from the 520.

The problem I've described happened once before, on February 4th, but it wasn't so noticeable because the drop was from 103.68 miles to 103.39. On 16 rides out of 18 there is complete agreement.

I would have thought that of all the processes the various algorithms need to to, working out the distance would be one of the most robust, and most of the time the different sites do seem to achieve admirable consistency. The two cases where Strava gets a different answer look like errors rather than differences of opinion.

But I agree that giving oneself a buffer of a mile or so looks like a good precaution whatever's going on here. It's not so easy when targeting a specific number, as I'm sometimes sad enough to do. It looks as though by making sure the decimal is .8 or thereabouts, I should be OK.

I've had both a Garmin 200 and a Garmin 800 (Touring) on some rides and they can disagree by about 0.4 of a mile over 100+ miles.

Top Bottom