The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Octobers ride in the bag.
A run down to Camber Sands with Marky Mark @mark st1
It was jolly warm out there. at 7am the temps where showing 18°. Completely bonkers for the time of year. It stayed warm for the whole ride, getting even warmer as the day went on.
We had strong headwinds on the way down to Camber but where rewarded with some nice tailwinds for the return.

So scores on the doors.
117 miles., with the added bonus of a few future Eddingtons (sorry Mark for dragging you out for longer then was necessary :whistle: )

1310118map.jpg

It was very windy down on the south coast.
Paragliders/surfers or what ever they are called by the dozens.
20181013_111529.jpg

StuartG

slower but further
Thank you @BromyG - it was a pleasure. A companion on a long ride is a great bonus. I really appreciated your company.

Which brings me to my imperial century problem. I've done seven in the last couple of months so the distance is no longer a problem. But I have a psychological block about December/January/February. Riding in the dark alone in the country or when the temperature is below 37F is outside my envelope. So I don't think I can step up to your challenge. But I am open to persuasion and help!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Which brings me to my imperial century problem. I've done seven in the last couple of months so the distance is no longer a problem. But I have a psychological block about December/January/February. Riding in the dark alone in the country or when the temperature is below 37F is outside my envelope. So I don't think I can step up to your challenge. But I am open to persuasion and help!
That's the same problem that I have, only with added hills! :laugh:

I would tackle an 'imperial century a month from March to October, with 4 extra imperial centuries when you like' challenge! :okay:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Thank you @BromyG - it was a pleasure. A companion on a long ride is a great bonus. I really appreciated your company.

Riding with others helps. There are a few southerners in the challenge so you should be able to tag along with some of them

For the winter rides I like to get out as early as possible so the dark riding is done at the beginning. Being on 20 or 30 miles as the sun comes up mentally makes the ride easier.

Throw in an extra cafe stop and accept a winter 100 will be slower than a summer 100.

When it is really cold, make sure you put some hills in the ride, you get much warmer going up them, on the negative side the descents are colder.

rb58

Enigma

That reminds me - I said I'd said you a couple of routes which can be used as easy winter 'bankers'. I'll do that this afternoon when I get back from the recce for this weekend's Sunday London Ride. Also, now I'm a gentleman of leisure, I'm happy to meet you for a long ride at very short notice (e.g. the night before) if the weather forecast looks particularly good and there's nothing already booked. It's always easier if you're not alone.

StuartG

slower but further
I'm happy to meet you for a long ride at very short notice (e.g. the night before) if the weather forecast looks particularly good and there's nothing already booked. It's always easier if you're not alone.
That would be fantastic if I didn't hold you back too much.

After yesterday's hard ride (half of which was single speed due to a cable snap) I didn't really have much in my legs but it looked such a promising day and I ended up doing 110.3 miles. A bit of d1cking about in Stamford brought the average down but with a 10miles recovery ride start I'm much happier how it went and don't feel totally drained at the end despite it being done on my heavier mudguarded bike.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/28919283

Doh, I didnt realise that when the 130 is paused, one push starts it again but when it goes to sleep such as at a cafe stop it needs two pushes to restart it :-D

https://www.strava.com/activities/1919226752

Attachments

• IMG_20181021_075719_059.jpg
    IMG_20181021_075719_059.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20181021_122834.jpg
    IMG_20181021_122834.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20181021_122856.jpg
    IMG_20181021_122856.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20181021_122916.jpg
    IMG_20181021_122916.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20181021_141508.jpg
    IMG_20181021_141508.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20181021_141914_317.jpg
    IMG_20181021_141914_317.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20181021_150129.jpg
    IMG_20181021_150129.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20181021_150644.jpg
    IMG_20181021_150644.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_2018-10-21-17-06-58.png
    Screenshot_2018-10-21-17-06-58.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 33

Ajax Bay

Guru
October's:
135 miles and 8861 feet Start/finish Bridgwater. Headed west parallel to the Somerset coast to Watchet, past Minehead, down into Porlock and climb out, A39 steeply down into Lynmouth and double chevron climb out to Blackmoor Gate (the west end of Exmoor). Turned and, now with the wind, back east over Exmoor to the Brendon Hills and across to and steep, long (Cothelstone) climb over the Quantocks to Bridgwater (see below); ENE to Street via Othery and back along Polden Hills to Bridgwater. Steady westerly wind (so slow on the way out) but warm and dry.
Planned at 205km, ended up being 218k (the first five hours into the wind), with voluntary diversions and route choice adding the distance. Off road climb out of Porlock was a highlight but still paid the £1 toll.
Had fitted a front light and then decided that I'd do it in 10 hours (starting before 8am) and not need it so left it in the car. Then with 60km to go realised that I would need light (or have to rely on (good and carried) headtorch) so climbed over Quantocks (rather than going via Taunton and its main roads in rush hour) to get back to car; fitted light and finished off with a 50k circuit out to Street and back. That gave me the second highlight: going east the full full moon rose above Street/Glastonbury. And behind a brilliant, multi-coloured sunset.
First experience of loose chainring bolts: seemed a bit 'funny' going along the A39 before Porlock - I could see the middle ring varying its line at each revolution - and on a stop there and check, 4 of 5 were loose. Managed to tighten 3 so all good. More threadlock required and a regular check.

Trickedem

Guru
Feeling confident. I have a doctors appt tomorrow and should get the all clear to start physio.
I will keep you all posted.
I cycled 6 miles to the hospital, but didn't tell him. My shoulder separation is a grade 3, so unless I have surgery, I am always going to have a lump on the shoulder. He said I could start physio soon and to come back in 5-6 weeks if I was having any problems.

I've done 12 miles today with no real pain, so I am going to try and do my century as planned on 10 or 11th Nov. I will be aiming for an easy flattish ride, which will be a novel experience for me.

Top Bottom