The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@ianrauk Point of order question for you. Can I claim my third imperial century ride for May instead of my first one? That way I can show 200km rides for each month ^_^
As per the rules. First qualifying ride in the month. But hey...who's looking.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
As per the rules. First qualifying ride in the month. But hey...who's looking.
This raises a question I was going to ask in the "Lunacy" thread, but as it's come up, here will do just as well.

I'd like to do the Lunacy challenge. My target would be 125 miles, comfortably beyond anything I've ever achieved, so a good challenge.

If, as @ColinJ implies, any single ride can be used in one challenge only, there's a potential conflict if the qualifying ride for ICAM must be the first of the month. FWIW, I'm with Colin on this.

I think there are three options:
  1. Allow any ride from each month to be to be nominated for ICAM;
  2. Allow a ride to be used in more than one challenge;
  3. Keep things as they are, leaving it to the participant to schedule things appropriately.
Personally I favour 3. Until now I've tended to make an effort for ICAM, and more often than not the first ride has been the longest of the month. So I'd need a different approach next year, adding another dimension to the challenge. But I could be convinced otherwise.

Any thoughts?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This raises a question I was going to ask in the "Lunacy" thread, but as it's come up, here will do just as well.

I'd like to do the Lunacy challenge. My target would be 125 miles, comfortably beyond anything I've ever achieved, so a good challenge.

If, as @ColinJ implies, any single ride can be used in one challenge only, there's a potential conflict if the qualifying ride for ICAM must be the first of the month. FWIW, I'm with Colin on this.

I think there are three options:
  1. Allow any ride from each month to be to be nominated for ICAM;
  2. Allow a ride to be used in more than one challenge;
  3. Keep things as they are, leaving it to the participant to schedule things appropriately.
Personally I favour 3. Until now I've tended to make an effort for ICAM, and more often than not the first ride has been the longest of the month. So I'd need a different approach next year, adding another dimension to the challenge. But I could be convinced otherwise.

Any thoughts?
There isn't any mention of the qualifying imperial century ride needing to be the first one of the month in the original post in this thread.

I can't see any problem with option 1, although perhaps I should keep my opinion to myself since I don't enter this challenge!

Option 2 is tempting, but it wasn't my intention for the new Lunacy challenge to 'step on the toes' of the current challenges so I intend that my rides will only be counted in one challenge each, though I'd be happy for other people to do what they like. Because of the nature of the Lunacy challenge, anyone dropping out of a conventional challenge would be entitled to transfer their rides over - it would be very odd not to allow that!

Anyway, respect to you imperialists! I'm too much of a wimp to commit to winter 100-milers in hilly Yorkshire/Lancashire but I intend to do at least 13 next year spread over as many months as I can, but not worrying when I don't/can't.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Thanks @ColinJ. I think I had a bit of alcohol talking last night. Making this sound like a big deal when I could be the only one here thinking of doing the lunacy challenge as well! I hope not though. I think the challenges should complement each other very well.

I think the "first ride only" thing is more of a convention than a rule, but it's come to feel almost like a rule. Is that fair?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There isn't any mention of the qualifying imperial century ride needing to be the first one of the month in the original post in this thread.
From the ICaM rules on the first post of the original 2008 log thread.
Only log the first qualifying ride of each month

The rules will stay the same as they have done since the challenge's inception on this forum 11 years ago and before that on BR. The rules are very simple and they work well. We looked at changing some of the rules a while back but came to the conclusion that they just didnt need changing. So they won't be changed because of a new challenge.

Though the lunacy thread interests me too.

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Yes, but playing devil's advocate to an extent, if I were to nominate my second ride each month my entry wouldn't be disqualified, would it? Nor would it be if I waited until the end of the month before nominating a ride. Until now there's never been a reason do this, and at the moment we all quite understandably seem super-keen to get the new month's ride on the board.

On a couple of occasions I've nominated my second ride because the first might be considered invalid under ICaM rules, but I've never needed to justify this.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The rules are as is. If you want to enter a non first qualifying ride then who are we to know. You don't have to tell us however it's how you feel about it yourself.

BromyG

Veteran
November ride completed yesterday! Not entirely uneventful, with two rear punctures and a split tyre! Not to mention joining a demonstration in central London and crashing into another cyclist on a blind corner in Rainham Marshes! Eventually got home unscathed but tired after a long day seeing both the sunrise and sunset! One more to go!

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
December done today with @13 rider and @Supersuperleeds . Lost around 15 miles through my phone dying and only 92 miles were recorded. I put a few extra on to make sure, but after getting home and seeing that I needed to record another 8 miles on strava, I went out again to tick them off. I dont think I`v broken any rules as i`d done more than 100 before going out again after getting home.

The ride was wet and a bit windy, but not too bad. Great company as usual, always enjoy our rides and can not thank them enough for getting me to have a go at this challenge, cheers lads :cheers:

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
December done today with @13 rider and @Supersuperleeds . Lost around 15 miles through my phone dying and only 92 miles were recorded. I put a few extra on to make sure, but after getting home and seeing that I needed to record another 8 miles on strava, I went out again to tick them off. I dont think I`v broken any rules as i`d done more than 100 before going out again after getting home.

The ride was wet and a bit windy, but not too bad. Great company as usual, always enjoy our rides and can not thank them enough for getting me to have a go at this challenge, cheers lads :cheers:
I will vouch for youve done plenty enough when you split from us
As above December's done a 200km for me really flagging at the end but @Supersuperleeds dragged me round . A wet ride but nowhere as near wet as I thought it was going to be . Great company makes it so much easier

Top Bottom