The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
I also decided to go out today and get an early century. A flat route around South Essex, with a chance to try out the new Woolwich ferry boats. Dull and cold day, with wet and grubby roads and a niggly head wind for much of the way. Only one proper hill, but a bit rolling in the middle section. Also my planned half way stop wasn't suitable, so it was a 'meal deal' and a bus shelter for me. I hope to be in shorts for the April one.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
March done, 200km to Hatton Locks and back with @13 rider and @Lilliburlero. Was a bit rolling :whistle:

Trickedem

Guru
With Storm Freya due to hit the UK on Sunday. I am glad that I had time available to do my century ride on Saturday. The day started well, albeit a bit drizzly, but got better as I rode and the sun even came out. The added bonus was it got windier as I started on the final Northwards leg home, so I had a bit of a tail wind.

This should hopefully be my last winter ride before November as Spring is definitely in the air.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2186660877

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
March done. As with my week off a month ago, the weather decided to be unhelpful all week (last time at least I was on a 125 with all the gear on!). Today was about the least worst day. Westerly wind, so was aiming for Salisbury. Dry start, then rain from about noon. And a lovely, strengthening wind, which wasn't very helpful when I turned back east. Got a few miles west of Stockbridge on the A30, when I realised Salisbury was still a dozen miles off, and I was already past fifty miles (it should be 46, so I'd gone the long way round- just a bit too long). Back to Stockbridge for lunch, then down to Romsey before back east on the A27 as far as Fareham. Knew I still needed a few extra miles, so up to Portsdown Hill and along all the way down to Havant, then back home. Pace was a bit rubbish all day, and it was grotty weather all day as well. Ho hum.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I had a huge backlog of "likes" in this thread - sorry about that!

So far this year there's been no shortage of things to get depressed over, but the virus/lurgy - whatever you want to call it - has been something else. I'm feeling almost clear now, but it remains to be seen if I'll be quite the same again. And I can't afford to get much slower!

But after just three rides so far this year I am still on for ICaM and a calendar year Audax RRtY. There's a 150km Audax starting near here next Saturday; riding there-and-back to the start by the obvious route makes it almost precisely 200km, and that's been on the calendar for a while. The weather prospects seem quite hostile, but better trends are predicted for the latter part of the month. I'm sure I'll get there somehow.

For those who haven't tried it, I have to say that the A-Z place name challenge is a great way of getting to plan new routes. But when you're at quarter distance and not feeling great, the "what the **** am I doing this for?" thoughts are very much the same. It would've been nice to have put a few more of my routes into practice by now.

A warm welcome to all new entrants.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Well that was my toughest day on a bike ever, but March is done. GWR Wells Mells and a little Broader 200km audax from Bristol yesterday. My highest ever elevation in a day at over 3000m and all four major climbs were brutal West Harptree, King Alfred's Monument Stourbridge, Batcombe Hill and Publow Hill, never mind the many many smaller versions of the above inbetween. I was nearly blown off coming out of Wincanton and almost got the train home at Yeovil. My main problem was stomach issues/feeling sick all day, legs not working and the near gale headwind out to Yeovil. I got round in audax time by the skin of my teeth, mostly on my own. I did say never again last night but my specs may be tinting rose again today. Surprisingly it was the second half that was better, but so slow earlier on meant the added pressure of max time at each control and extra night riding inc the Old Rail Trail path which is lovely in daylight but was also covered in hedge clippings. A puncture 20km from end would have finished me. I live another month on the good ship Imperial!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Well that was my toughest day on a bike ever, but March is done. GWR Wells Mells and a little Broader 200km audax from Bristol yesterday. My highest ever elevation in a day at over 3000m and all four major climbs were brutal West Harptree, King Alfred's Monument Stourbridge, Batcombe Hill and Publow Hill. Main problem was stomach issues/feeling sick all day, legs not working and the near gale headwind out to Yeovil. I got round in audax time by the skin of my teeth, mostly on my own. I did say never again last night but my specs may be tinting rose again today. Surprisingly it was the second half that was better, but so slow earlier on meant the added pressure of max time at each control and extra night riding inc the Old Rail Trail path which is lovely but was also covered in hedge clippings. A puncture 20km from end would have finished me. I live another month on the good ship Imperial!

A simple like isn't enough for a ride like that. :notworthy:

13 rider

Guru
Well that was my toughest day on a bike ever, but March is done. GWR Wells Mells and a little Broader 200km audax from Bristol yesterday. My highest ever elevation in a day at over 3000m and all four major climbs were brutal West Harptree, King Alfred's Monument Stourbridge, Batcombe Hill and Publow Hill, never mind the many many smaller versions of the above inbetween. I was nearly blown off coming out of Wincanton and almost got the train home at Yeovil. My main problem was stomach issues/feeling sick all day, legs not working and the near gale headwind out to Yeovil. I got round in audax time by the skin of my teeth, mostly on my own. I did say never again last night but my specs may be tinting rose again today. Surprisingly it was the second half that was better, but so slow earlier on meant the added pressure of max time at each control and extra night riding inc the Old Rail Trail path which is lovely in daylight but was also covered in hedge clippings. A puncture 20km from end would have finished me. I live another month on the good ship Imperial!
:notworthy: Respect on completing the ride in those conditions :bravo:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Brilliant stuff @Cranky Knee Girl! I was going to say I couldn't've done that, but, of course I don't know that - because I'd never have been brave enough to try.

Let's what I'm facing next weekend. I can't back out now. I think that's how inspiration is supposed to work...
Cheltenham Flyer? I separate route to control to control. Ride each ride and once over 100km it’s downhill. That’s the theory. You can’t not start as that’s stealing someone else’s place, unless dangerous/ill. You will be ace. Finishing in time is your only aim.

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Cheltenham Flyer? I separate route to control to control. Ride each ride and once over 100km it’s downhill. That’s the theory. You can’t not start as that’s stealing someone else’s place, unless dangerous/ill. You will be ace. Finishing in time is your only aim.
Not that one - I have to ride to and from the start, so the 150km** Cider with Rosie, which starts from the same place, is a better fit. The shortest route to the start and back is almost spot on for ECEing it to a 200. I didn't want to be doing RRtY without showing my face on at least one calendar event, so here we are!

Detailed forecasts for the day are now appearing. Things can only get better. :unsure:

** I'm aware of the minimum speed issue when ECEing from 150 to 200. ;)

Top Bottom