The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's a proper adventurer's spirit, I don't have much faith in my ability if things go wrong.
That’s a big part of the challenge. You have to be able to ‘compartmentalise’ your thinking. Both for the ride ( breaking it down into smaller chunks, mentally)and dealing with stuff as and when it happens. Get a rough plan of how to get out of theoretical situations you may encounter en route, and deal with anything that crops up as and when required. I plot my longest routes so that I’m rarely more than half an hours walk with a broken bike, from a Halfords / other bike shop, or a train station. This plan has only had to be used twice, over the years, once when I strained a hamstring, and once when someone drove into the back of me, when I was 75 miles away from base. On that occasion the LBS sorted me out with a new rear wheel, and swapped the requisite bits over, then I carried on with the ride.

Still can't decide whether I want to focus more on TTs this year and also pursue a professional qualification at work which will eat into my free time. Decided though whilst I can't make up my mind I'll throw mt hat into the ring

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/31210522

rb58

Enigma
Well, there you go. One of the benefits of being retired is that you can look out the window and think "Hmm, I think I'll go for a bike ride". Solo run to Ashford via the tried and tested route - jacket potato and beans at the station cafe, then back much the same way. Grubby roads, colder than forecast, but stayed dry. So, that's February done and dusted, one step closer to a new Eddington, with a few future Eddingtons in the bank.

Just 22 more months then this silliness can end. Probably.

I got February’s out of the way today with a 103 miler down to Southbourne and back. I was getting blown inside out on the outward journey, with gusty 50 mph headwinds, but the return was much better, as the wind died off. That’s one of the traditionally bogey months out of the way.

88FEED51-6195-4767-8CBD-6DA7159B7702.jpeg

Last edited:

Trickedem

Guru
Feb done. I used a route I devised a few years ago and which a few CCers have done in the past. Earliest train down to Winchester, then headed East. It is a hilly route, so didn't quite get as much of the wind advantage as a flatter route would have given. It was quite warm too.
win-ro.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Feb done. I used a route I devised a few years ago and which a few CCers have done in the past. Earliest train down to Winchester, then headed East. It is a hilly route, so didn't quite get as much of the wind advantage as a flatter route would have given. It was quite warm too.
View attachment 451672

Looks like my cup of tea, and ends within reason of me. Do you have a GPX file you could share please?

Trickedem

Guru

Trickedem

Guru
Good idea. BTW, notice from your photos you stopped at Planet Sweet in Horley...blast from the past!
Planet Sweet was great. Friendly service and big portions. I hadn't planned anything, but was hoping to find something in Horley.
Carrying on cross country to home was a much better idea than going into London via Croydon too.

Top Bottom