The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hat in ring for the 2019 season with 104.04 miles clockwise round north Shropshire.:wahhey: Route rather unimaginative generally I'm afraid but it worked with the northerly wind today. I did vary it a bit though and tried some lanes I've never cycled before (which turned out to be more hilly than hoped.) The thermometer showed temperatures above freezing all day but it felt absolutely arctic out there which made it another difficult ride. With beard and wind-burned face I looked remarkably like a polar explorer when I saw myself in the mirror at the end.:laugh:

I'll do the write up tomorrow.

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Must be daft, back in the game again for 2019 , 101 miles done today :okay:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Seems I'm also in :wacko: Went on a bit of a bimble :bicycle: on the Chalke and Cheese 200km audax yesterday. That was very tough. Was also a first Paris-Brest-Paris qualifier for lots, but definitely not me :laugh: Cheddar Gorge at night was ethereal. The near gale westerly was hell!

Fiona R

I'm in. I had a plan with multiple extensions and bailout options in case I didn't feel up to it. Myabe unwisely I took the Isle of Sheppey extension to top it up to 100 miles.

All was going swimmingly and I seemed to be unnaturally quick until I turned back into the headwind that had been pushing me along. After that it was somewhat less than fun. Then I found I'd planned a short 12% downhill section near Detling on an unsurfaced track which was difficult to even walk. Managed to crawl back painfully to Sevenoaks for a toastie and train home.
Gotta have a bailout option, then you keep on trugging and get there. That westerly headwind yesterday was horrendous over here in the south west too!

Fiona R

I can't have bailout options, if I did I'd not get the 100 miles in!
Motivation is reverse for me, because I can I don't, or say just another 50km and reassess at the next bailout option (say a station, or that bit closer to home reasonable to call the broomwagon) It's when you're doing an organised audax say and you go past your front door at say 75% in the temptation to just go home is huge!

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
If I'm doing a ride that is beyond my normal range, or particularly hilly then I always plan a couple of emergency bailout stations.

You know, I've never really looked at it like that. Invariably my imperial rides are into completely new territory, bar the first and last 30 miles or so, and often into rural places that I'd have trouble guiding Mrs CB to. Maybe I should consider how I plan my routes...

Fiona R

You know, I've never really looked at it like that. Invariably my imperial rides are into completely new territory, bar the first and last 30 miles or so, and often into rural places that I'd have trouble guiding Mrs CB to. Maybe I should consider how I plan my routes...
That's a proper adventurer's spirit, I don't have much faith in my ability if things go wrong.

I will give it a go for the first time this year. The weather has been unusually good so far this year, so no excuse not to get out. The first ride was an easy loop up to Blackpool and back, taking in a few odd velo viewer squares I have not visited before. Nice and flat, with a bit of a tail wind coming home. Perfect. I also used the new wahoo elemnt bolt to navigate for the first time. What a difference it is to the garmin! Glad I got it now.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I will give it a go for the first time this year. The weather has been unusually good so far this year, so no excuse not to get out. The first ride was an easy loop up to Blackpool and back, taking in a few odd velo viewer squares I have not visited before. Nice and flat, with a bit of a tail wind coming home. Perfect. I also used the new wahoo elemnt bolt to navigate for the forst time. What a difference it is to the garmin! Glad I got it now.

:welcome:

Welcome to the challenge. It is also a great way to get your velo square count up.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I will give it a go for the first time this year. The weather has been unusually good so far this year, so no excuse not to get out. The first ride was an easy loop up to Blackpool and back, taking in a few odd velo viewer squares I have not visited before. Nice and flat, with a bit of a tail wind coming home. Perfect. I also used the new wahoo elemnt bolt to navigate for the first time. What a difference it is to the garmin! Glad I got it now.
A warm welcome to good ship Imperial. Glad to have you on board.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Welcome. Warning, this may turn into a habit (as a lot of our sig lines will testify) :smile:

Top Bottom