The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Actually, just uploaded the ride it wasw 127.02 miles

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
September done. Solidarity visit to Velolife near Twyford, which the council is trying to put out of business by means of bizarre injunctions. Lovely cake.

Then on to St Albans by a route running across the rivers draining from the Chilterns. One that I am never doing again: Steep drop into small town. Grind painfully up steep climb out of town. Short flat bit, steep drop into small town. And repeat ... and repeat.

#savevelolife

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
September done. Solidarity visit to Velolife near Twyford, which the council is trying to put out of business by means of bizarre injunctions. Lovely cake.

Then on to St Alban's by a route running across the rivers draining from the Chilterns. One that I am never doing again: Steep drop into small town. Grind painfully up steep climb out of town. Short flat bit, steep drop into small town. And repeat ... and repeat.

#savevelolife
Good job for velolife you went solo and not as a group :banghead::crazy:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Septembers qualifying ride in the bag with a nice ride down to Brighton for fish and chips on the beach.
118 for the day. Imperial Century#19 for the year #269 overall and Imperial Century Month #106 in a row.
A future few Eddington numbers also in the bag. Just need 1 more 114+ mile ride to get that number.
Absolutely perfect cycling weather. Nice and warm with little to no wind. Lovely.
3 more to go for a 9th star.

010919.jpg

Atop of Ditchling Beacon
20190901_104707.jpg

Brighton Beach
20190901_115444.jpg

rb58

Enigma
Done. Due to various mishaps, I ended up riding from Croydon to Crawley twice as part of this ride. Most people would suggest visiting those places but once a year, not twice in a single day.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I did September today, an elongated loop to Newport and back, circling the Severn Estuary and the Gwent levels. There's a clue in the latter name; this was close to being unethically flat, in parts anyway. Regrettably, the Newport Transporter Bridge doesn't operate on Tuesdays, so I wasn't able to include that. Nicely judged at 125.23 miles, so another entry in the RRtY campaign, subject to validation as ever.

The bike has undergone significant modification since last ridden. Whatever the practicalities may be, I like the look:

Goldcliff1.jpg

Goldcliff.jpg

Reasoning that I use few of the available positions on a drop bar - almost exclusively tops and elbows unless actually braking or changing gear - I hoped that a butterfly bar would relieve tension in the neck and shoulders. In this respect the experiment was successful, but the downside was increased pressure on the wrists, which I needed to hold quite stiffly most of the time. But I did like the V-brakes and the trigger shifters. I only braked when meaning to change gear once.

Other than that, the main difference was considerably less acknowledgement from the roadies.

I got number 9 for the year completed today. It was a slightly modified version of a westerly loop I have in the memory bank. The head wind was absolutely brutal, except for about 2 miles ( on a bit that is normally the worst bit for high winds, oddly ). I brought a load of extra food with me, to compensate for what I estimated the wind would do, and it still wasn’t enough. Anyway, job jobbed:thumbsup:.

26E3F654-3704-4ABD-BBE2-750845408B4D.jpeg

The phone Strava record, and the Garmin disagreed on the distance, by about 2 miles, but fortunately the lesser of the 2 still gave over 100 miles. The phone had it at about 102 miles. I also seem to have bested my 10 second power record by a fair margin ( 1911 Watts :eek:) as I was climbing a sod of a hill, on the return, and the head wind went all hurricane force, at the same time. I had to give it absolutely everything I had just to keep moving enough to not be track standing. No wonder it hurt:heat:

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Me too. Intended to go to Velolife, had a route up there & hence to Guildford for train home, but it was not to be. Why? Two reasons- feckin' headwind was hurting the average speed on the way north, and then Basingstoke administered the coup de grace. Terrible cycle paths plus Garmin confused by cycle paths equalled multiple wrong turns and detours with average speed for the trip dropping below 10 mph. The roads around there are all nasty, but a better bet IMHO. By the time I got to Bramley, just about half way, it was gone one- and I'd been on the road before eight. Aargh. If I went on to Velolife, and then Guildford, I'd have been lucky to get home before eight. So, change of plan. I stuck with the route north-east for a few miles, to get over the A33 (which is a nasty road for cycling, and worse leads back to Basingstoke), then turned south. Headwind now tailwind, and very helpful. Ended up walking a couple of climbs on the last stretch (CBA to grind my way up) but average for the second half was still back over 12 mph. Back just before seven, 106.7 miles done. Nine down, three to go....

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I meant to do mine yesterday but caught a bug so was feeling too grotty all weekend. That was really annoying as the weather here was practically perfect for a long ride.

Ah well, still time yet.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Got mine done today, no pressure this month, as I have plenty of time off, only another 4 days to work till Oct ^_^ Finally got round to doing a route I planned almost 2 years ago from a village in Derbyshire, Mappleton, to the village where I live of the same name. I got the train at 6:30 this morning from Hull & arrived in Derby around 9am, about 15 miles to Mappleton & then about 115 miles home. Ended up with 132+ miles on the clock & 5500 ft climbing :blush: Cream crackered now, shower, then early night beckons :okay:

Top Bottom