The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Got mine sorted on Saturday with a hilly 105 miles heading to Bewdley and back. A very tough ride this time due to the legs cramping up badly at around 55 miles and having to take it very gingerly from there onwards. With all the stops I ended up being out for 12 hours.:blink: Moving average 11.5mph making it my slowest of the year so far.

On the plus side, I hit a top speed of more than 40 mph on one of the descents which is my second quickest ever I believe.:hyper: The ride write up is here for those who are interested: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-5740191

Broadside

Guru
Did my September ride yesterday in the Surrey Hills. Took in some of the main climbs that have been suggested by people on here such as @ianrauk and others. I’m glad I did Whitedown Lane first as the top of it really was quite tough!

Great little village shop in the centre of Peaslake for a snack. Got caught out with cramp at 80 miles but sorted it out with more water and it seemed to pass, I knew it was warm but I think I was losing more fluid than I was putting in. It was a really beautiful day with fantastic clear views from the top of the hills.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Got mine sorted on Saturday with a hilly 105 miles heading to Bewdley and back. A very tough ride this time due to the legs cramping up badly at around 55 miles and having to take it very gingerly from there onwards. With all the stops I ended up being out for 12 hours.:blink: Moving average 11.5mph making it my slowest of the year so far.

On the plus side, I hit a top speed of more than 40 mph on one of the descents which is my second quickest ever I believe.:hyper: The ride write up is here for those who are interested: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-5740191
It's nice to read an account that talks of a moving average of 11.5mph. Even if the ride is 10 times hillier than anything I do these days. It makes me think I might still be alive. :smile::smile:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Another excellent GWR 211km audax yesterday in blazing sunshine and a stiff Easterly means September is in the bag, Plains Trains and no more Automobiles from Warmley on the Bristol/Bath Railway path to Blunsdon/Swindon then Stonehenge then Radstock and back to Warmley. I pushed myself and rode from home so it was my longest ride ever by 15km at 254km although not lumpiest ever it was a not too unethically flat 2440m. The worst bit by far, getting up at 5am and trying to leave by 5.45, ended up leaving at 6am. Then I tried to wing it in Bristol on empty roads (rather than slower known bike routes) and got totally up the spout lost, eventually google mapped myself onto the railway path, and arrived 15 minutes after the start. duh. No time for planned coffee. Luckily I still got my brevet card as organiser dashed off to chase the bunch. downed a banana and off I go into the headwind on my own. At 70+km the latte and sausage sandwich were very welcome at The Whistlestop Cafe. still a few stragglers here so some sign of the around 90 that supposedly started. Rode with a couple of friends for a bit south through Wootton Basett and onto Avebury, which is far nicer than Stonehenge. I carried on making sure to keep eating and drinking as 80+km to next control.

Really hot and the wind a side/headwind so a lot easier. I was trying to keep my pace up, trying not to lose face. Came across a PO and a handfull of audaxers propping up the bin outside, so I joined them with a cold drink and ate a roll I had packed. Eeking water out on this section. On down to Woodhenge which was new to me, but I failed miserably at photos. then headed east to Stonehenge on the gravel public access track that doesn't require payment. I didn't realise yesterday that the high number of trailers/tents/camper vans of varying age and durability were obviously there for Equinox! Every single group/family cheerily waved and helloed in response to my greeting, they had already had 85 others go past! Past the old relics (stones not hippie vans!) and back onto the main road and a busy section west. this was my first 200km audax 2 years ago and there was a stinker of a westerly that day, this time a tailwind. The rolling lumps were still quite sapping and I was relieved to turn off onto the lanes and the fabulous Ginnys Cafe at Boyton. Highly recommended. The owner is the best, she remembered me from other audax visits when I am always knackered as a long way from home. Fabulous tea and ice cream today, still munching on my almond butter and marmite rolls too. I was at about 75% of official audax now and finally less than 100km to home, 14.30. So hot, I washed my face applied more factor 50, and off I went rolling all the way to Cranmore and then north to Radstock. The hills into Radstock, out of Radstock and into Radford are all known and sapping but thankfully beginning to cool off now. I even overtook a bunch so I'm not going to be Lanterne Rouge as at least 6 behind me. Result.

A main road downhill blast into Keynsham for a fair few kilometres and the last drag up to Warmley, where I hit the wall last time as I'd not eaten at 20km to go, No rookie food errors today. Back to the arrivée at the Holybush pub at 18.45, there were (majority of) the other 80 I hadn't seen riding! Getting dusky so I filled my bottles and headed back to Bristol on a very scary and slow ride with pedestrians all in dark clothes with dogs and majority of bikes had no lights on. Then I got in a snarl trying to negotiate the station roadworks and walked a lot and finally got home after 20.00 14 hours out, not too bad overall speed at 21.5kmh but speed really wrecked (about 1kmph I reckon) by the to fro shenanigans in Bristol. It wasn't easy but pretty pleased given the bad start and then pushing myself.

I'm still learning so much about longer rides, I had thought about extending this one to 300km earlier this month, but I abandoned that idea to keep for next year when daylight is longer.

rb58

Enigma
The original plan was to get October's ride done on the first (pensioners can do this) as @ianrauk , @Trickedem and I are off to Spain for a week touring soon and I wanted to nail it before we went. However, man-flu intervened and so I had to delay until today. Took the Thorn Audax bike with its new touring wheels. Quite a bit slower than the Enigma and Cannondale, but the lack of speed is more than made up for by the comfort of the ride. I'm chasing my next Eddington, so I wanted 110 miles today, which meant the old faithful Ashford route. The roads were spookily quiet for a Saturday. I was beginning to wonder whether I was in The Truman Show. But then a black VW Golf brought me to my senses with a close pass. Nobber.

Anyway, October's qualifier in the bag.

That was very testing. The roads were basically muddier than the fields that surrounded them. That said, I only got 2 punctures all day, so that’s not so bad. There was a fair bit of climbing to add a bit of spice. The weather held out all day, and ( despite The Garmin’s best effort to shat itself at every opportunity) I got home before dark. 112 miles and only 2 more to go this year:ohmy:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Likewise, October is done. I was targeting 143 miles today, that being the next number I'd never previously recorded. It was also a mandatory by GPS 200km DiY Audax; pushing up the mileage puts the pressure on a bit.

I felt lousy for the first 20 miles or so, which included cresting the Cotswold ridge, and was composing all sorts of melancholy ride names for the Strava activity. On longish rides I find it almost impossible to avoid visualizing a set of scales, looking forward to that happy moment when they tip in my favour. That took a while today, but in the end it turned into quite a good day; painfully slow but I felt much stronger towards the end. So maybe my "retirement" isn't as close as I'd been thinking.

Not quite what you want to see on a mandatory route:

Time for walkies. Only about 4 inches deep in the middle, and getting my feet wet always eases my Morton's Neuroma. :smile:

All objectives met - 143.52 miles.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
View attachment 487892

That was very testing. The roads were basically muddier than the fields that surrounded them. That said, I only got 2 punctures all day, so that’s not so bad. There was a fair bit of climbing to add a bit of spice. The weather held out all day, and ( despite The Garmin’s best effort to shat itself at every opportunity) I got home before dark. 112 miles and only 2 more to go this year:ohmy:

Don't you ride Tannus tyres?

Don't you ride Tannus tyres?
On one set of wheels, yes. I’ve still got them, but these wheels have standard tyres. They are pretty good ( Hutchinson equinox) and when they do puncture ( which takes a lot ) they are an absolute doddle to get on and off. I usually only go back to the Tannus tyres, when the ride is mostly in the dark and / or cold.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I also got the October qualifier done yesterday. I opted for an easier route than last month and the legs were fine this time. Fate decided to throw other obstacles at me though including rain, thick mud, scary drivers and flooding, the last of which which meant having to change my route with about 20 miles to go.

Managed it though and finished up with 102.42 miles at 13.4 mph moving average. The Raleigh needs a really good clean now.

Just about to go and do the ride write up.

13 rider

Guru
October's done today I think that's the latest I've left it in a month . A tough ride over the constant rolling terrain of the Leicestershire/Northampton/Rutland border area ,102 miles with 6356ft of upness without any particular big hills . Was thankfully of @Supersuperleeds company .We missed the cafe at 70 miles . So we presssed on as we hit a tough up and down stretch I certainly felt those hills

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
October's done today I think that's the latest I've left it in a month . A tough ride over the constant rolling terrain of the Leicestershire/Northampton/Rutland border area ,102 miles with 6356ft of upness without any particular big hills . Was thankfully of @Supersuperleeds company .We missed the cafe at 70 miles . So we presssed on as we hit a tough up and down stretch I certainly felt those hills
Toughest ride I’ve done for a while, still was a good route, but I’m volunteering to plan November’s

Top Bottom