Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK, first foray on an e-bike!
The beast:
20190915_102916.jpg

20190915_102931.jpg

20190915_102924.jpg

Jeepers, this thing is heavy, must be over 50lb. Still plenty of work to be done on the lumpier bits, motor or not!
Definitely rewards an educated pootle, as it were, where the effort and gearing is selected to keep it at 25kph at a nice easy cadence.
Certainly got up hills faster than will ever be possible for me unassisted.
Downhills was fun with such a heavy bike (and rider, it must be said!).
11.29 miles, avg 11.8mph, 977ft of up.

Destination.
20190915_111044.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another ride out to the lake this morning to meet the Fragrant MrsP who was participating in her first Triathlon. I don’t know how those folks do it. She didn’t come last and was third in her age group , I’m chuffed for her.

12.24 miles for me, a slightly different route to investigate a possible commute, although it was a lovely morning I think the bridle way I took would be a boggy mess in the winter, so that’s a no from me.

3568F11D-A5B4-4A80-8D8D-BB2762D0E7F7.jpeg
1FC833BB-CB83-473B-B34B-E6D0CB0E4BCE.jpeg
4836EA79-CE4B-4783-AAF0-35BF38203D2E.jpeg

7C932E03-0788-48D0-A66E-A05925C177CA.jpeg

Last edited:
Currently in Eastbourne. Did a ride this morning, up Beachy Head, down to Birling gap and up the other side, then through Willingdon wanted to try Butts lane but half way up it did not seem possible, I have done harder before, but gave up on the day. On through Polegate, Stone Cross, Westham and Pevensey, back via Pevensey Bay . I managed not to record the first climb, and difficulties uploading.
Approx totals 27 miles, 14 mph 1700 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/2719351253 The start is missing,

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I rode down to the start for the Audax. Chartists to the Marches and 104 km was the advert. 50+ riders were set off for the run through familiar lanes to Newent. I teamed up with Andy who, it happened, lived not far from me. We dodged around to Coughton to cross the Wye at Kerne Bridge. Goodrich Castle was the first control and here John joined our little team.
The next leg took us away from the river with some climbing. We dropped into the Monnow valley and rode upstream on ups and downs to Grosmont. The hills came thick and fast but the scenery was superb. The views to the Black Mountains from Saddlebow Hill were amazing. At Hoarwithy we recrossed the Wye to climb away and up over the Marcle ridge. Our next control was at Much Marcle - a very familiar spot to me.
Now it wasn't much further to go to the finish. Redmarley and a couple of easy hills and we were finished. Great event and a superb route.
With riding to the start I had over 80 miles on the clock. A 13 mile return home would cause OCD issues so I rode over to Tirley to take a longer way home. No OCD problems now . 103 smiles

AndreaJ

Veteran
Where did all the sunshine go on the day I have time to get out? Had a bit more time today for a longer ride so set off on a rather dull morning although it was still warm to Northwood, Waterloo, Edstaston, onto the main road to Wem, over the railway crossing and past the cricket club before turning back onto lanes to Aston, turn to Barkers Green and onto the Shawbury Road back towards Wem but turning to Tilley, Ruewood, Brandwood , Myddle on to another main road in Burlton where I turn towards Loppington but turn off to English Frankton where the big black clouds which have gathering since I left decided to rain. Pass through Colemere and past the sailing club to Lyneal taking the longer route to Welshampton by now it is raining quite heavily and getting quite dark so I switched the rear light on while stopped at the junction. Through Welshampton meeting the only numpty of the day who thought he would overtake me despite the oncoming traffic, he did think better of it and pull back in and wait but it was a bit pointless to try in the first place. Onwards to Hampton Bank, Northwood and back home rather wet by this point. 26.5 miles, average speed 15.4mph, having been busy last weekend at a dog agility show it seems to have been ages since I have been out on my bike so it was an enjoyable ride despite the rain which BBC weather app didn't forecast!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Went for an eventful and very chilly pre-dawn ride earlier in the weekend. Also glimpsed Orion, surprisingly high above the horizon already. Winter-a-coming!

Had a moment of terror after a few miles when a large creature started snorting and smashing noisily through the undergrowth, RIGHT NEXT TO ME. My torch wasn't pointing in that direction, and what the hell, did I really want to look into the eyes of some Lovecraftian horror?
Sanity eventually returned, I guess it was a large badger.. but I did cycle off with a slightly raised pulse!

The next hazard was a water sprinkler. Why someone needs to waste water all night I don't know, especially as half of it was on the tarmac.

On to Chobham; snapped a pic of a nice little church and also wanted to get a close pic of those hanging baskets but my phone was out of memory.
thumbnail

A bit further on, two signs that definitely shouldn't go together. Had to delete some old pics to take this one.
hsc3-3axc9TqmtYvh6Ky4kxAJqw1ylR8PLewZNCvlDPsne0xImezpW4arqbmR92MusN8SSDN1fq-idRIw4wkoRZIxzE1dMpifVCrO_X3Vh9IN54g1XUBVfugXCcAFRKwsNoQzH-yOE7apwHfBh5cB-VPd3okY5n_x3Zgs3DoQrb19pIwefyW8N8N5O1-b9e5kda59jVmr6c0agnSlnYfcv1NpK1dF6OU9MfTg8zW409Eo3Brx2KqpzMIGc9bjXWPTBVPT73y13xCgd-Gl11HEUJZtEZWrMkPtO1Anc_XuKJXJPluTOlTOT9lXhsm9lpTc857v1x5lrYluXq9Vz0REN59-Q3t6Re9V88T0TwfPXvVZKYHK3W1KhRmcQtDzWRhzY3Ijm4UT5WTEkFLuIvAWSeq_ei_8ms3AuQaDu0rRG9OeNKZUfgwTn128rBeJ2nSWh5yHHaUPjdeFyjcFb5b-0Y80y5Tt4gySpPIo1PxhKbES6FrKEJsLczqmF8tRXkzL7sL46o8gMZqJkJZvIerKLc6aKnpMofish04eMC9Bj4xvMp92W6rw-bcIhueFPnJ1uVan3RwX8fe5YDBWI-TfFZ3VBGE7iW3LogKj_n0slT0qqwPO7vNBKy6LoQbuI5ENYuZoJXHJqsQhdoH4ukq2sCngI-AxrFjcZQgBZQbb7UBYomk-K3bEMc=w1258-h943-no

Reached Yately and got the "out of memory" error again. This time I wiped the offline maps; the error went away, and i snapped my pics.

Turned and headed for home, but was now noticing bad gear noises, which didn't respond predictably when adjusted. I eventually gave up and jumped on slow trains home.

At home, the gear cable was obviously damaged; need to do that next.
And neither of the Yateley photos actually saved. DAMN.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Rode the Tameside MTB Trails as part of Go Cycling. A couple of MTB'ers started organising local rides a couple of years ago. I went on these, but as numbers increased, he put it through Go Ride, mainly registration and insurance as it was 'guided'.

Not been out with them for a while as one of the lads has been injured, and I'm usually away over summer months. Spotted they'd put a ride on again last week, but just grabbed the last place on Saturday evening.

Woke to steady drizzle. Drove to the meeting point at Stalybridge and there was 20 of us to get going. As this was TOB weekend and Go Ride, we had a few turn up that clearly had not read the 'MTB's only and Challenging ride.'

There were 4 hybrids and a group of in-experienced senior citizens on E-MTB's (lets say they did flat bridleways after talking to them).

Two riders dropped out after the first climb as they realised this was too challenging (we all waited at the top). The 4 hydrid riders stuck it out, but you can imagine, they had lots of walking sections. The 'senior' citizens managed just, but again walked some of the climbs and descents. Those of us on MTB's kept an eye on them but shot off up the climbs or descents and then waited for the others to catch up - last thing they'd want is one of us charging through.

I can vouch for the 'you need to put power in' for e-MTB's - not one of them could keep up with us seasoned MTB'ers. An older chap had one (experienced MTB'er) but wasn't able to keep pace uphill - he'd bought one as he was finding keeping up with mates really hard work and was getting dropped.

We got everyone back, and it was an enjoyable ride. Some of the trails have been 'sanitised' a bit, probably because this is going to be a way marked route, and a couple of sections were overly sketchy (muddy drop offs and large ruts) - these have been filled a little.

The Tameside Trail is a really good 16 mile loop up either side of the Stalybridge/Mossley villages.

Just got to look out for my photo in the local press as we were part of the Tameside Cycling Festival...

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Saturday's ride:

I'd missed out on getting my challenge ride in during the pretty much perfect weather last weekend due to a stinker of a bug so I made the most of a good forecast this time round. I was up and on the road by seven and headed out into a chilly morning on a hilly route to Bewdley.

This is a route that I know is short of the 100 miles needed for my qualifying ride so I started off heading in the wrong direction into Shrewsbury to do some extra miles through the Quarry, out to Uffington and Upton Magna then turning south through Atcham, Cross Houses and onto the road for Pitchford, Acton Burnell, up the climb to Folly Bank and down the other side to Cardington. This was all pretty straightforward with very little traffic on the roads early on a Saturday. I deliberately kept the pace easy knowing that I'd need to save something in the legs for later.

After Cardington I turned towards Wall under Heywood where I chose to cross Wenlock Edge via Rushbury and up Roman Bank. This is one of the climbs over the Edge that isn't too bad and is rewarded by a pleasant view at the top and a good descent where I got up to 36 mph.

After Beambridge I was heading for Tugford. The sign for it came up at the next junction but was pointed right rather than left as I'd expected. A quick check of the map showed that I could go either way and the distances were much of a muchness but the signed way is lumpier. I went left.

At Tugford the next climb starts. It had warmed up enough that I could convert the trousers to shorts then I wound my way up the hill on my way to Ditton Priors. I'd intended to pause by the church there to have my elevenses stop but there seemed to be a wedding going on so I went further on and found a gateway to stop in. The wind was picking up more than I'd expected by now and it would be a headwind from here most of the way to Bewdley. Fortunately, this section of the ride is characterized by long flowing descents interspersed with short steep climbs so I was able to make quite good progress. I had one annoying overtake not long after my stop where a large Mitsubishi squeezed past just where the lane narrowed, forcing me against the hedge and bouncing across a sunken drain cover. They then turned off only about 150 yards afterwards - pointless!:dry:

Through Stottesdonn and on towards Button Bridge the ride went better and the drivers were mostly more polite. I thought I was going pretty well on the flowing undulations through the Wyre Forest but just before Button Oak my legs cramped up horrendously at the crest of a climb and when I pulled over, wouldn't support my weight. The only real option was to get the weight back on the saddle and try to keep moving slowly in the hope that it would ease. Fortunately it did ease and as long as I took it very easy on the short climbs I was still able to enjoy the fast (38mph) descent into Bewdley.

As usual on this route my plan was to head for the railway station to get a drink, have my lunch and watch the trains go by. If the line still connected to Shrewsbury it would have been very tempting to abandon the ride here but I felt better after having rested so carried on. The climb out of Bewdley up to The Lakes area of town is quite a drag but the legs felt okay provided I kept the gearing low. I was slow along the old Tenbury railway path then faced the long drag through the Wyre Forest back up to Button Oak. Again this was in a lower gear than usual but I got there alright even though the legs were giving the odd warning.

The lane to Arley has been resurfaced, which is brilliant as it had been getting teeth-rattlingly rough in all the places you can get up some speed. Meeting a group of cyclists spread right across the road as they climbed towards me removed the temptation to let the bike have its head though.

I stopped at the station despite being well behind schedule by this point and waited to see a train arrive before dropping down to the river crossing and preparing for another big climb the other side. A genuine sounding "I like your bike" from a young lad as I rejoined the road after the footbridge lifted my mood and helped a lot with the ascent to Nash End. I got some surprisingly good speed up on the way to the Severn Valley Country Park, which was very busy, then dropped back down to river level before joining the path alongside the railway to Hampton Loade station where I handily got to my favourite viewpoint just as the auto-train was pulling out.

After a bite to eat in the picnic area at the station I had another steep climb to tackle. Dropping into third from bottom gear got me up the steepest bit of the hill but not without the legs protesting a little. I set out just before a guy on a classic moped and could hear the engine revving behind me but nothing came past. When I looked back I realised that it was too steep for the machine so the chap was powering it up the hill while he walked alongside. That made me feel a bit better.^_^

Getting up to Chelmarsh, you don't have long before having to drop down the hill again. I decided to stay on the main road rather than following the signed cycle route and it turned out to be a great choice with a fairly straight steep descent on a reasonable surface. I hit my highest speed of the trip (40.4 mph:hyper:) before crossing the railway again near Eardington Halt - first under then over. I spotted a few people in the fields alongside the road and thinking that another train might be due I parked the bike up in a gateway at a good vantage point and went to have a look.

Rejoining the signed NCN route I got through Eardington village alright but the legs cramped again not long after. It was really tempting to shorten the ride and I did stop to check the map for options but I didn't know whether I'd end up missing the century as a result so I dropped into Bridgnorth as planned. I was dreading the climb up into High Town but in a low gear I managed it alright. I couldn't face the rough track and the extra miles if I went to Ironbridge but the only other option was the hilly way to Much Wenlock. I can't have been thinking straight as I went for this route and cramped up yet again on the first climb.:cry: After a rest and a drink I managed to carry on very slowly and paced it so that the cramp didn't come back.

The climbing up to Barrow feels like it goes on forever, apart from a couple of descents into valleys where you get some good speed up but then have to regain all the height you've just lost. It was busier than I'd hoped as well, although nobody did anything stupid. At one point a car came up behind me and I could hear the engine being revved, which I ignored. When it did come past it was a car with P plates on with a young driver at the wheel and he proceeded to crunch the gears badly after going by which makes me think it was just inexperience. The road surface on this stretch isn't brilliant either - at one point I feared that a motorcyclist was coming off his bike when he hit a large pothole just after overtaking me.:blink:

At Much Wenlock I was able to enjoy another break and bite of flapjack. It's a bit more climbing out of town then there is a nice descent of Wenlock Edge to Sheinton and Cressage. I thought Shore Lane would be a struggle but in a suitably low gear I crested it alright today. I took an alternative way through Acton Pigott to avoid a couple of steep climbs by Cound Moor and took the main road route after Condover to finish.

105.05 miles this time at 11.5 mph moving average. I was out for a full 12 hours including all the stops which is ridiculous for the distance covered. So, the September qualifier is done and I hope to goodness that the October one isn't as hard as this has been.:heat:

P9140166.JPG
Early in the ride, a nice floral display on Victoria Quay in Shrewsbury.

P9140175.JPG

Village school at Rushbury.

P9140178.JPG

Lookingh back towards Wenlock Edge on the lane between Tugford and Ditton Priors.

P9140184.JPG

Clee Hill nicely framed. Between Stottesdon and Bagginswood.

P9140185.JPG

Bewdley.

P9140194.JPG

Riding through the Wyre Forest on my way to Button Oak for the second time today.

P9140202.JPG

Churchward 2-8-0 No. 2857 arrives at Arley. Those who know the station might wonder why the colour round the bay window has changed. Apparently it's for some filming which has been taking place over the last few weeks for a big-budget movie due out next year.

P9140206.JPG

Following the lineside cycleway to Hampton Loade.

P9140211.JPG

Taw Valley makes easy work of climbing Eardington Bank. Wish I was.

P9140215.JPG

Much Wenlock.

Old jon

Guru
There was rain around here last evening, an odd sight after so long without. Half expecting similar stuff this morning but no! Some cloud, little breeze and the odd blue patch of sky. All that concern about which jacket to wear was wasted.

Gears for today’s ride because there would be hills. There are hills anyway but I do feel happier when there are gears to help me up them. And of course the ride starts with the flattest bit I can find, the canal towpath. That is fine, leave at Viaduct Road, drop to Kirkstall Road and then the next four miles are uphill with varying gradients to Cookridge. There may be fifty yards of level at the end of North Lane, but that is always cluttered with cars anyway. Straight on after the water tower, downhill at last, and take the left turn for Otley. There is a view of Leeds and Bradford Airport along here, the other side of the road is easier on the eyes. A crossroads with the Bradford Harrogate Road, the A658 is quicker to type but tells most folk very little, straight across and then down to Otley. When I worked there, this road was referred to as the Old Chevin, Leeds Road was called the New Chevin by locals. That was a while ago.

Cross the River Wharfe here and soon after turn right onto Farnley Lane. It is an odd climb, I would expect it to be as difficult in this direction as it is starting from Leathley Bridge. It does not feel that way, from Otley feels a lot easier. Whichever, climb one side and descend the other, today cross the Washburn River and turn right. This road returns me to the A658, closer to Harrogate, and I have no intention of riding that way. Another right to Pool, crossing the Wharfe again on the way. Yet another turn to the right and ride back to Otley. Why? Pool Bank is steep. I have to climb that high but Leeds Road is easier. Pool Bank next time. Maybe.

At the Dyneley Arms the traffic lights were red, the view from the front of the queue was good. Not the roads. Just about due west, a bit to the left of the A660 in front, the hill that Harewood House sits on is just visible, partly obscured by Rawden Hill I think. It was a good clear view today, most often there is either rain or just haze in the way. Impressive. Ride through Bramhope and at the roundabout wait for a car transporter and carry on for the direct ride home. Shame, really. If I had turned left there is more climbing. The ride totalled 1968 feet of upness, maybe it could have been over 2000. Ah well. Headingley, divert to Kirkstall and back on the towpath. Thirty four miles after leaving I was back home after a brilliant ride, and with aching legs and a grin. Cannot beat that.

Some strange shapes . . .

16092019.jpg

The little bump in the middle of the elevation trace is the top loop of the ride.

16092019elev.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
Saturday and decided a westerly ride on the Defy along Penny Pot was oddly long overdue but avoiding the country park meant tackling the climb of Oaker Bank, something the Defy in the past has shown its disgust in by throwing its chain off. No such problems this time; for clarity given the UCI Worlds about to occur there are three Oaker Banks in succession –so I actually descended the northern one before immediately climbing the middle one which brought to me to Jubliee Roundabout, where the UCI circuit comes from the south having ascended the southern most Oaker Bank and turns east whereas I was riding from the north and turning west. Penny Pot was its usual drag as commented on in this UCI Ride of the Week for most of its length

https://worlds.yorkshire.com/the-latest/news/ride-of-the-week-harrogate-west/

Out onto the moor the wind was noticeable and having originally planned to drop down to Swinsty Reservoir instead turned north on the B6451 which forms part of the Womens road race route a week on Saturday. After crossing the A59 at Dangerous Corner the road had been closed recently for a week for repairs so a large fresh patch of tarmac was almost immediately noted in the southbound lane but then worryingly a couple of potholes were still present.

East away from the UCI route along Menwith Hill Road the wind blew me to a new PR on “The Gun Run” past the main entrance to RAF Menwith Hill and then down Lackon Bank to Birstwith.

Through the village I nipped up the access to a new housing development out of curiosity before tackling the western Clint Bank hoping for some wind assistance that failed to occur. At the top continued east on Clint Bank Lane stopping for a snack at a bench that views across the valley with the village of Hampsthwaite nestling low down on the southern side and 1960s-1980s high rise buildings of Harrogate prominent on the ridgeline.

Followed NCN67 to Ripley – the arrival at the cobbled forecourt to the Castle after a steepish uphill section was a bit like hitting the kerb and I feared for the roundness of the front wheel but it seems okay.

The normal brief encounter with A61 and across to Nidd followed. Decided to head through Nidd as the building and high hedges/walls would block the wind and then south east on the B6165 turning off to Scotton where despite a week before Para-cyclists arrive the road surface remains pretty rough in places. Followed the para-cycle route to Burton Leonard where the bit of the route I cycled on had been fully resurfaced. Turned off the route and immediately encountered an appalling road surface. Looped back to Copgrove, I had throught of going west to Markington but the windy approach to Burton Leonard indicated that was not a good idea. On to Staveley and the normal bench for a snack then through Arkendale, Coneythorpe and Flaxby to what I thought would be a lengthy wait for a right turn onto the A59 but a gap in traffic conveniently quickly appeared. Off as quickly to loop through Goldsborough, oddly in a PR given the wind direction, and then decided the Nidd Gorge would be a good idea as the wind would simply blow across the top. Equally the climb of the wall on Beryl Burton was windless as was the rural part of Bilton Lane but definitely not the suburban bit. Downhill west on the A59 around 75% of the dodgy manhole covers had been fixed for the Women Junior Road Race a week on Friday. 41.06 miles 2345ft climb Avg 13.2mph
140919 route.jpg

14099 elevation.jpg

Sunday and the ebiked hybrid broken free of its commute route by a 7.93 mile shopping trip to the Tesco Express just before the level crossing at Starbeck during which it rewarded its momentarily freedom by working the “remote” controller lose from the handlebar. Now suitably refixed. En route it was apparent the Norwegians were in town.
norwuci.jpg

Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
An early, early spin out. I woke after a deep sleep at around 4am. Wide awake and not a chance of dropping back off to sleep so on with the clobber and out the door for about 4.30ish. After switching lights from one bike to another,pumping up tyres etc etc I set off around 20 mins to 5.
The Garmin tells me it was 8.39am but seeing as I am typing this at 6.30 I know it's wrong.
So local lanes in the dark, which is always nice. Several large deer about, umpteen rabbits, couple of owls which I heard but didn't see and as I came by Eccup Reservoir I must have startled a load of resting geese either on the water or on the bank. (too dark to see) As one they started honking and hooting and making massive racket. So loud and sudden it made me jump.^_^
All in all 22 miles and 1100ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/40015180

Top Bottom