Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
I had a lovely pootle along the path on the East Lancs Road between Walkden and Haydock in yesterday's beautiful evening sunshine.
Lots of berries and apples on the trees at the side and newly ploughed or harvested fields looking neat.
I love watching the changes marking the seasons.

View attachment 485040

I had fun with my shadow on the way back ^_^

View attachment 485042

My right knee started hurting on the way back so I just used my left leg for a while but it's actually quite tiring!
Sadly I've woken up with a sore throat today too, so I won't be joining the club ride up to 'The Rake' to watch The Tour of Britain today :sad:
Shadow looks like you’re on a Penny Farthing bike :ohmy:

Katherine

Guru
Shadow looks like you’re on a Penny Farthing bike :ohmy:
Exactly! And that's what I named my ride on Strava - (great minds think alike...)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Cracking day here. Blue skies and sunshine. A tad cool In the shade mind you. A 20 mile bimble today. Strava stopped working at 14 miles (as it does frequently around here). I started going onto a lane I hadn't been on in a long time but it was covered in tree branches and rubbish and I thought o wa bound to have a visit from the P fairy like I did a couple of weeks ago, so I decided to go another way.

20190914_121311.jpg
20190914_121314.jpg
20190914_111929.jpg
20190914_121447.jpg
20190914_120902.jpg
20190914_121612.jpg

Old jon

Guru
The weather is still being very kind around here, and I have a bike that needs a bit of riding, just so I don’t forget how. Take the fixed out and point it towards the Wharfe valley.

Of course it does not quite work like that, there are a lot of other places to ride to before that valley is in sight. Office Lock and the towpath to Viaduct Road takes me three miles from home, and I am still in South ( of the river ) Leeds. But only just. Cross the Aire and the way is up, through Headingley where I saw a sign advertising World No Car Day. With the date which I have forgotten. Ride up some more, passing, being passed and passing again another rider. No one had dropped the starter’s flag, just that with one gear only it is difficult to ride slowly uphill. Helps the fitness along though. In time the road levels and the right turn onto Church Lane is taken. This leads to Adel Dam, I must have a look at the history of this sometime, and then the left to Arthington Road. Which is uphill past the eastern side of Golden Acre Park and leads to Kings Road.

After rejoining the A660 in Bramhope I was slightly tempted to turn right again to descend Creskeld Lane. Too late now but maybe I should have. It is interesting. Anyway, settling for the less interesting option, through Bramhope and along to the Dyneley Arms and the twiddle down Pool Bank. Maybe because it is Saturday the traffic was sort of held up through here, the last left turn in the village is the A659 with little traffic at all. So pedal on to Otley and stop for a chew at the maypole. Sort of refuelled start again with a couple of left turns and the climb of Leeds Road. Six cyclists in three pairs passed me on the way up, and a couple of solo riders also. That seems a lot of riders in a couple of miles. That also seems good to me.

Bramhope next, but in the opposite direction to earlier. Quicker this way and the road was quiet too. One ditherer in front of me at the roundabout, eventually chose to go straight on. Seemed to take an age but I was not going to pass that car. Stay on the A660 all the way to Headingley. This was busy, a number of cars with Mum and / or Dad and student child trying to find where that student will be staying. An annual event, Leeds would be poorer without it. And a lot less fun. Still, a ride to complete for me. North Lane and further, to Kirkstall and the towpath back to almost the town centre. The last few streets to home, the door in sight thirty miles after leaving. A smile for the ride, and hasn’t the weather done well?

A map. And an elevation thingummyjig . . .

14092019.jpg

14092019elev.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
As I rode to the meet I spotted Rob A at the lights. So we rode together to Upton. John G, Pete M and Steve E rolled up not long after. Steve called Newent so I was pressed into service on the nav front. Just our usual run through to Pendock and Hethelpit Cross for the dodge around Upleadon and the back way into Newent. The Onion Fayre was on so lots of folks were out for the fun. Fortunately we found space in the cafe.
Fun chats over we took the Oxenhall way away from the Fayre. We rode together by Dymock until Bromsberrow where Pete peeled off. Not long after Rob and John headed off from Rye Cross. Steve and I went by Castlemorton to part at Welland Stone as Steve had left his car in Upton.
Superb sunny weather today. Gorgeous day for a ride. 53 smiles

Mr Celine

Discordian
Warm and sunny on Friday but blowing a gale. I couldn't make up my mind which of my westerly wind after w*ork 30 mile loops to do so set off in the direction common to both. I still couldn't make up my mind which to do so did a combination of both. This made it a 40 mile loop and as any proper ride has to have at least one big hill this one had two. I don't take anything more than water on 30 milers so was well knackered when I got home.

This is in Yarrowdale, looking south west towards the summit of the Swire, first climb of the day.
IMG_20190913_164615[1].jpg

I didn't stop at the top but carried on through Ettrickbridge and up and over the Woll. Half way down I remembered I wasn't actually in a hurry so stopped to take a couple of photos.
Looking back up the hill -
IMG_20190913_173409[1].jpg

And looking down the way, south east with the Cheviot on the far horizon on the left.
IMG_20190913_173345[1].jpg

One more stop to admire the view and read some poetry -

IMG_20190913_182755[1].jpg

That is the first verse of the Ballad of Thomas the Rhymer, a thirteenth century loony who claimed to have been abducted by the queen of the fairies.

Friday's map -

upload_2019-9-14_17-1-54.png

41.8 miles @ 14.8 mph 937m up.

geocycle

Legendary Member
8F822416-7E1B-4B16-8EE9-88F1B4DDA9C3.jpeg
222CB96E-63C0-4DAC-A5C2-662DF661D00A.jpeg
EB251AA7-3180-415A-81E8-B0ED0090EE09.jpeg
Nice ride today into the western Dales. Up Kingsdale, through the gates and then down the frightening decent into Dentdale. Big climb out over Gawthrop then down Barbondale. I love the ride down Barbondale but strong headwind.

pjd57

Veteran
Had a day to myself but no real plans.
Weather forecast was for wind and rain from the west, so I decided to head that way while it was dry and hopefully have it on my back coming home if it materialised.
Headed from Glasgow to Balloch.
Nice easy run down.
Coffee and headed back home, few local things to do on the way home took it to 50 miles. No rain.
Screenshot_20190914-153410.png
wee bit of traffic beside the Leven.

C R

Guru
Won't be able to ride tomorrow, but managed to squeeze an hour of riding this evening. Not far, the usual Kempsey, Croome, Wadborough. Quite warm, and the view of the sunset over the Malverns from the railway bridge in Rebecca Rd was fantastic, my phone camera doesn't quite capture it.

IMG_20190914_192351206_HDR.jpg

It was getting dark by the time I got home. Not many evening rides left as daylight is now shortening quickly.

Just under 15miles at 15.8mph to keep the legs turning.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another day of absolutely beautiful conditions in this corner of Suffolk, so I took the opportunity of getting out for a few hours this morning and getting in the 100km ride for September.

I headed out through Buckleshem and round the north of Ipswich to Westerfield & Akenham where a photo opportunity was runied by the horse moving at the wrong time
Thurleston Lane.jpg
From there it was north to Needham Market and the Flordon back road to Stowmarket and then a zig-zag route through Little Finborough, Battisford Tye, Ringshall and past Wattisham airfield, on to Whatfield and Elmsett before ending up at Aldham where a stop was taken to photograph one of the local round tower churches at Aldham
St. Mary's Church, Aldham (2).jpg
After that it was in to Hadleigh and then east into Hintlesham and a slow crawl through Ipswich thanks to the football traffic and eventually home after 68.5 miles. Now for a day off the bike as it's off to Donington Park on Sunday for the British GT final.
Screenshot_2019-09-14 Morning Ride Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2019-09-14 Morning Ride Ride Strava(1).png

https://www.strava.com/activities/2707483625

Top Bottom