Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Another lovely sunny day in the borders which seemed to have brought out more cyclists than usual.....

IMG_6251[1].JPG

That was at Dryburgh, the start and only steep bit of what they were calling the Scott's View climb. After they passed I headed for St Boswells to see them again. The A68 / A699 junction attracted many more fans, on two and four legs.

IMG_6256[1].JPG

The horses seemed to be fascinated by the police motorcycles.
At Dryburgh there was a breakaway 40 seconds in front of the peloton, which was all in one group. Half an hour later there were three main groups and lots of stragglers. Must have been due to Dingleton Hill, which the fastest rider did in 5:20 according to strava. I did it in 2:22 :becool: ( but in the other direction )

Untitled.jpg

Today's map -

upload_2019-9-8_23-14-44.png

38 km @ 22km/h 611m up

delb0y

Legendary Member
Lovely ride today, back to where I tried to go on Saturday when road closures scuppered my plans. Had to (walk) through a herd of bulls who were all trying to get through a narrow gate at the same time as me. They were heading the opposite direction to me but they weren't in a hurry - in the end I had to ease my way through. Had a lovely chat to a fellow on an eBrompton who was recovering from heart surgery and loved the fact eBikes enabled him to still get out. Found my way to the river - had to go through several farm gates and across the farm yard and there was an old fellow sat in a deckchair who pointed me in the right direction. Don't think I would have gone through the yard if he hadn't been there - it's like going into someone's garden, and it was all a bit Deliverance deep down in the river valley. The roads down to the river started off as C roads, then lanes, then farm-tracks... Just the sort of trails I enjoy. Crossed the Leadon on an ancient stone bridge and had to walk up the path on the far side - it was 25%, wet grass and mud and stone. It was hard work pushing the bike up there! All in all, another ride where I discovered many a lane that I'd never been down and enjoyed every second. 33 miles. About my limit at the moment.

Bridge Over The River Leadon.jpg
Farm 2.jpg
Farm.jpg
Hay Bales.jpg
Steep Bit.jpg

Old jon

Guru
A bright morning again, and calm as well. Best to take advantage of this and go for a ride.

The fixed today, and the idea to ride towards the bottom right hand corner of my map. Where coal was once mined in large amounts. But that was a while ago. Today the ride could have started with a shortcut from Dewsbury Road directly to Hunslet. But no, not me. Habit took me through a bit of Holbeck before traversing the former village on the way to the climb to John o’ Gaunts. Down the hill to the roundabout at Oulton and take the second exit, the A639. Stay on this, a left, at the next roundabout. This bit of road loses height for the next couple of miles to Mickletown, fast pedalling and loads of fun, then levels out through Methley and Methley Junction on the way to Methley Bridge over the River Calder.

Castleford next, no need to ride through the centre just turn left at the first set of lights and ride along to Bridge Street after another left. Cross the Calder again, nope, it’s the Aire and Calder together, and before crossing the Aire and Calder Navigation arrive at the back of a queue of traffic. Most unusual around here. Another rider caught up, we did some left filtering, some overtaking and eventually some pavement riding to reach the cause of the holdup. Half the road coned off and three way lights controlling traffic. Apart from the cones, nothing out of order, no hole(s) in the road, no contractors plant. Ah well, we had reached clear road. I could continue the climb to Peckfield Bar, he turned right, Ledston or Fairburn his possible destination.

Straight on at Peckfield Bar, the A656 can be a busy road. Busy enough that the right turn to Micklefield would have needed a stop and wait. But a couple of hundred yards more , traffic vanished and the road that passes Hook Moor could be used. A good close view of one of the windmills, turbine if you like, was had then turn left for the road to Aberford. Past the former workhouse, down and up and down again on Main Street to turn left onto Cattle Lane. I do dislike the ironmongery that decorates the road here, three large covers next to each other that I am not going to ride over. No way. Really does spoil that corner.

But the rest of the road is fine. Ups and downs to Barwick followed by more similar stuff to Scholes. This all calms down in time to ride a bit of the A64 and the three lanes from there to the A58, and after crossing the Ring Road the fastest bit of today’s ride. It takes quite a hill to do it, and it does increase grin factor by lots. I ride past the spare gates of Roundhay Park so often, never see them open though. Oakwood Clock and half a mile further the building that was once the Clock Cinema, all to pass on the way to skirt the town centre and recross the River Aire before the last of the uphill that takes me home. The sight of which put a grin on my mug after thirty two miles of rather enjoyable riding.

Roads with straight bits . . .

10092019.jpg

View attachment 484036

I cycled 28 miles from the west of Manchester, through Manchester
View attachment 484043

onto the Ashton Canal
View attachment 484045

View attachment 484046

and up to Failsworth where I picked up the route to Glossop that the wonderful @nickyboy created for me. It was indeed the best route there. All to visit my son in their new house. (we have already visited a few times by car).
Due to unexpected problems in the week I had left it until last night to plan the first half of my route. So I relyed on Google. I will try other options in the future.
I faffed about this morning tracing the route out to plot the return journey, charging lights, making snacks and drinks etc etc, so I was very late leaving, then I took my time on the way, checking some of the turns, stopping for photos and 'to admire the view'! - half way up the hills obviously.

View attachment 484044

I enjoyed the route along the canal but there were plenty of people about on a beautiful sunny Saturday afternoon. I think most of them were heading for the Manchester Derby - ladies - at The Ethiad. I don't think I would have liked being on the canal for the return journey later when I would have been a bit isolated. Luckily my son wonderfully offered to bring me home.
I really enjoyed the route that nickyboy plotted for me, seeing new countyside and towns. Thank you!

I spotted this mural when I passed the cycling park near the velodrome and stopped to watch the kids for a few minutes.
Stunning pictures Katherine .

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Blumen ‘eck the IoW is lumpy but the roads are mostly smooth, they look like they’ve been recently re-surfaced except in a few places, a joy to ride on them. Anyway we went clock wise around most of the island today, stopped at sad little cafe at Freshwater Bay for lunch, and then followed mostly the excellent cycling way markers to Yarmouth then to Cowes where the floating bridge wasn’t working, they had a small boat instead, loads of cyclists piled onto that. Then from East Cowes by-pass Ryde, then following the markers to a closed road near St Helen’s then onto Ninham our base.

8E47BF59-AB28-4584-BC95-D291BFBC05C9.png

85C0B353-517F-41B8-A262-FB64AD0538BB.jpeg
37AF1F6F-5ABD-49F4-8328-61CC5D7B6831.jpeg
DA826BD6-D11E-4B1A-801E-A9D41E5A4178.jpeg
A1A64C2A-5810-4881-A1D3-B9F17BFF3408.jpeg
EE2CE466-0B96-4988-B62A-258A514EA530.jpeg
0563D9C3-F52C-46A1-BD47-80B9FAB0F960.jpeg
BFBC9B9C-B47F-4BBC-B035-1169C8033B01.jpeg

This nice cafe had a working model railway going round it.

34F91FC9-81E0-470F-B028-7DA4858FBE22.jpeg

61.62 miles today, nice weather too.

ETA: longest ride of the year so far.

Last edited:

pjd57

Veteran
Blumen ‘eck the IoW is lumpy but the roads are mostly smooth, they look like they’ve been recently re-surfaced except in a few places, a joy to ride on them. Anyway we went clock wise around most of the island today, stopped at sad little cafe at Freshwater Bay for lunch, and then followed mostly the excellent cycling way markers to Yarmouth then to Cowes where the floating bridge wasn’t working, they had a small boat instead, loads of cyclists piled onto that. Then from East Cowes by-pass Ryde, then following the markers to a closed road near St Helen’s then onto Ninham our base.

View attachment 484556

View attachment 484557 View attachment 484558 View attachment 484559 View attachment 484560 View attachment 484561 View attachment 484562 View attachment 484563

This nice cafe had a working model railway going round it.

View attachment 484564

61.62 miles today, nice weather too.

There's something very satisfying about cycling round an island.
IoW looks great.
Bit far from Glasgow though.
Arran is a great day out from here.
Train+ boat £20. 56 miles , a load of climbing and a beautiful place to visit.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The weather is shite today on IoW, grey, clouds, drizzly rain, and gusty winds all over. And some real arshole driving today, so crap it got me down and angry and for a lot of the ride I just wanted to go home put my bike away and never look at it again.

Which is a shame. IoW is mostly lovely and the road surfaces are good and when you’re on a quiet lane the riding is very nice.

Anyway we set off east today to investigate a bit of the island we missed yesterday via Alberston, Bembridge for hot chocolate and cake, then along the coast on shared paths to Ryde for a mooch about and lunch. Ryde isn’t very nice, could do with some investment, people didn’t look all that happy there. From Ryde to the Garlic Farm and back to base. 25.25 miles.

No photos today everything looked a bit dull.
C9577180-C915-4BAC-879C-DC4F35C53BEC.jpeg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
The weather is shite today on IoW, grey, clouds, drizzly rain, and gusty winds all over. And some real arshole driving today, so crap it got me down and angry and for a lot of the ride I just wanted to go home put my bike away and never look at it again.

Which is a shame. IoW is mostly lovely and the road surfaces are good and when you’re on a quiet lane the riding is very nice.

Anyway we set off east today to investigate a bit of the island we missed yesterday via Alberston, Bembridge for hot chocolate and cake, then along the coast on shared paths to Ryde for a mooch about and lunch. Ryde isn’t very nice, could do with some investment, people didn’t look all that happy there. From Ryde to the Garlic Farm and back to base. 25.25 miles.

No photos today everything looked a bit dull.
View attachment 484676
Glad you enjoyed your first ride anyway, @CarlP. If you get time for any more rides on the island, I can recommend dropping down into Ventnor (if you have the legs to climb back out again!). The Spyglass Inn at the end of the promenade is a nice place to sit watching the sea as you eat. Also recommend the Needles at the west end of the island. (Noticed you just missed them on your earlier ride). There is a little track that leads out from the car park that you can cycle on ..... right along the cliffs. Shared with walkers and tour buses only. Enjoy.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Glad you enjoyed your first ride anyway, @CarlP. If you get time for any more rides on the island, I can recommend dropping down into Ventnor (if you have the legs to climb back out again!). The Spyglass Inn at the end of the promenade is a nice place to sit watching the sea as you eat. Also recommend the Needles at the west end of the island. (Noticed you just missed them on your earlier ride). There is a little track that leads out from the car park that you can cycle on ..... right along the cliffs. Shared with walkers and tour buses only. Enjoy.

We went to the Spyglass yesterday, but didn’t fancy it, tomorrow we’re going to the needles if the weather allows.

Old jon

Guru
Sort of cloudy this morning, and a bit of breeze. So, with the help of the breeze the weather could do absolutely anything. The only way to find out is to go and ride in it.

Take the bike with the gears today and look for some quieter roads. It is a long time since Holbeck has been lively, but that is the wrong sort of quiet. Crown Point Bridge and past the West Yorkshire Playhouse, turn right at the roundabout heading for Oakwood. Not busy but hardly quiet. Up that big hill and across the Ring Road, almost peaceful and then turn left onto Whin Moor Lane. One car passed and then nothing except the odd pedestrian. Turn left on Shadwell Main Street, ride to Slaid Hill and turn right onto Wyke Ridge Road. This takes me to East Keswick and a little bit past to the A659 with little traffic at all on a most enjoyable road to ride. OK the A659 has cars and trucks and things, it’s a couple of miles to the left for Linton.

That sharp climb after the bridge there has an atrocious surface, but it is soon over with and the rest of the road is good. Up and down of course like most good roads. Into Wetherby and busy again, go back across the Wharfe and take the third exit on the rather big roundabout. This leads to Collingham and a bit of a decision. Straight on for Bardsey and Rigton Bank or turn left by the former pub and climb Jewitt Lane? The latter. There are two spot heights on the map, twenty seven metres at the Wattle Syke junction and ninety seven just after the junction with Compton Lane. I took my time and admired the scenery. And used bottom gear. Compton Lane leads to East Rigton, quietly.

In fact I did not see a moving car all the way to Thorner. Not a lot seems to happen there although there were three coppers stood outside the pub at the end of Carr Lane. The church clock was chiming twelve, so the pub should have been open. Mexborough Arms, the pub, I just checked on Google Earth. I must be slipping ‘cos I normally navigate by pubs . . .

Still a distance to go and Sandhills is the next notable bit. Most of it is up, the alternative of Carr Lane does not often appeal though. Every road seems to be a lane around here, Thorner, Skeltons and Red Hall lanes are the next three on today’s route to reach Wetherby Road. Turn left here, and shortly after notice the wind in my face. Riding down Boot Hill does that, not very steep but long enough. The right turn to pass those gates and that clock and continue, using the same roads as the outbound trip to go back across the Aire and along Black Bull Street into Hunslet. Escape from there in the direction of home, arriving with a smile ( our lass was home ) thirty three miles after leaving. A good ride.

Digital maps are quiet.

12092019.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another damp, windy, cloudy day today in IoW but the met office was promising sunny spells, so we went to Alum bay.

Strong blustery headwinds all the way, via Godshill, Chale Green, Shorwell,
Brightstone where we stopped and had tea and cake at a craft fare, then on to Shalcombe and Alum Bay. I was a bit disappointed in the naffness of what tourism has done to the place but I succumbed to it and made one of those silly sand things that they sell.

The ride back was the same route, but with very welcome tail wind all the way, stopped at Godshill chocolate shop ‘ Chocolate Island’ for a very nice Hot Chocolate, highly recommended.

The promised sunny spells never arrived.

45 miles exactly.

524C7287-14AD-4EDD-9774-515B1766088A.jpeg

Chocolate Island.

67CAA277-3CC3-4C54-91D4-867EB0257411.jpeg

Naff souvenir.

5D3E8531-AFA7-4187-A5E4-D951855E8411.jpeg

The Map.

9DF4A2D3-A50A-43C3-B3F1-C53A2342CE1B.png

Edited to add the lumpy graph.

Last edited:
Back on the bike after a bit of a hiatus. An 11 mile round trip to an undisclosed location on Wiggy #2, the Chartres.

Rode home with two panniers full of walnuts and a rack bag of apples.

Very gusty conditions (mainly a headwind / cross headwind) on the return leg made life interesting on a heavily loaded bike. Good job the cross wind came from the right, as I was being blown around some.

Think I've earned that cup of tea.

Edited to say that I love the hedgerows at this time of year - there are so many nice comestibles to be foraged.

Last edited:
Top Bottom