Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
Two rides this time, the rest of life intruded on Friday and I had to be home for a delivery from 2:00 pm onwards. Leaving home on the fixed, and the rain started falling. Wearing a warmer jacket for the first time this year, with a windproof front and a beggar all proof back. As the rain became heavier it was obvious I had chosen the wrong jacket. One of those days that conspired with Sod’s Law; and won. By the time I reached the Oakwood Clock I was convinced the third misfortune was about to land on my shoulders. The rain, well, OK, I could see the other side of the road. But by ‘eck it was cold . . .

I reached home eleven and a bit soggy miles after leaving it.

So, this morning gave a blue sky, the fig tree gave some fruit towards breakfast and the band we heard last night was pretty good. Off for a ride goes I.

Gears today, and thoughts of riding uphill. The numbers sound good, 1929 feet in thirty one and some miles, but the calculator says sixty feet per mile. It felt like a lot anyway. Quite a bit of traffic around, ride down the main road to Jack Lane, reach the canal towpath and ride along that to Viaduct Road. The viaduct itself had some railway sort of machinery on it, moving slowly and making non train noises. Track maintenance maybe. Start pedalling up, and continue all the way to the water tower at Cookridge, where the road has mercy on my tired legs and starts downhilling. For a bit. Straight on to Bramhope today, down the hill by the church and back onto the A660 towards Otley. A right turn at the Dyneley Arms goes down the hill to Pool, straight through the hamlet and cross the Wharfe. Hamlet? At the top of Leeds Road, later on, there is now a sign, ‘Welcome to Pool’ and the place is described as a hamlet. But I have some riding to do before reaching that sign.

So, after crossing the second river of the day, the road leads to the third. After a couple of left turns the River Washburn is crossed on Leathley Bridge. Hmm, and the house at the side of the bridge is not called Bridge House, but Leathley Lodge. And the hill up to Farnley starts shortly after that. There were three riders having a rest at the top, where there is a right turn to go to the rest of Farnley. I went straight on down to Otley. A crowd of cyclists at the other side of the road reminded me it was Sunday, no there was not a shout of ‘It’s Sunday!!’ the sight was enough. At the end of Farnley Lane turn left and cross the River Wharfe again, ride the easy way through Otley to the bottom of Leeds Road and then up, to see the sign mentioned earlier. Stay on the A660, be overtaken, not for the first time today, and ride through Bramhope.

The other end of the village has a roundabout, left and climb Kings Road. A right turn at the top for the ride down past Golden Acre Park and across Adel Dam. After rejoining the A660, it is time to ride down to river level via Headingley and Kirkstall. Back across the River Aire, and a little further along back onto the towpath. The sunshine had tempted a number of folk out to the canalside, so a gentle ride for the next two or three miles. Zigzag through Hunslet, bridge over the motorway and up the road to home. Always a welcome sight, the weather has been kind and the ride was just marvellous.

Sunshine makes a good map better,

08092019.jpg

Buck

Guru
I've slowly been getting back out and about on the bike and building my fitness which whilst nowhere near where I was before is now bordering on OK! A couple of weeks ago I joined @EasyPeez and @Pale Rider for a 50 mile ride south of the Humber. That was a lovely ride and was a personal test for me to see how my recovery was going and whether I was sufficiently prepared to complete the September ride from Leeds to Scarborough organised by @nickyboy

Yesterday was the day we were heading to Scarborough and I'll admit a few nerves ahead of the planned 80+ mile ride but was confident I could complete the ride whilst recognising that it wasn't going to be easy.

We all met in Leeds near the station before being led out on a slightly different (and easier) route by @colly and his local knowledge. The first 5 miles or so out of the city centre and along the East Leeds Link Road are always a little unpleasant as it's on busy and fast roads but, we soon turned off and headed north through Temple Newsam and out of the northern fringes of Leeds towards Barwick-in-Elmet then onto Aberford.

After we started heading north towards Towton we came across a "Police - Accident - Slow" sign. We carried down the lane to be met by a friendly police officer and a fire engine blocking the road due to an accident.

IMG_6739.JPG

We had no option but to head back on a short detour, heading north through Saxton and on the lanes through Towton. Then, as we headed up over the railway line at Ulleskelf, I was talking to Nick and we heard a "twang" - the sound of a spoke on his front wheel breaking! Aaargh!!
He was able to make it to the cafe at Cawood (where we all had breakfast and @Slioch joined us) but then had no choice but to abandon the ride, making alternative arrangements and heading off to Church Fenton and the train home.

We continued with @Kestevan taking the lead and north through the Wheldrake and Stamford Bridge where we had a short stop hunting for AA batteries for @ColinJ (!) then into Malton which was the lumpiest part of the ride with a few hills and bumps before the long descent into Malton and our planned lunch stop.

Here we met @Julia9054 and @Almartino to join us on the last section but said goodbye to @ColinJ and @colly who were heading back home.

fullsizeoutput_85f.jpeg

The weather was dry and quite sunny although we weren't benefitting from our usual south westerly. Instead we had a Northerly wind to contend with. Whilst hard going at times, it wasn't too bad and the hedges and lanes afforded us some shelter here and there.

After we were fed and watered we headed north out of Malton and joined the A169 into a strong head wind combined with driving that left something to be desired! We pushed hard on the mile or so before we could turn off towards Marishes and the sanctuary of the quiet country lanes with only the occasional car, tractor or dog walker to ride past!

fullsizeoutput_85e.jpeg

IMG_6742.JPG

We headed north east continuing on a combination of country lanes and the main road into Scarborough before turning off and riding through the green country lanes on the edge of Wykeham Forest up onto the tops before a nice steady run into Scarborough and along the busy south shore before a final battle with the head wind on Marine Drive and the sanctuary of the fish and chip shop!

fullsizeoutput_85d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_843.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_84a.jpeg

IMG_6747.JPG

As always, thanks to @nickyboy for organising and also @doughnut and his lovely wife Sharon for taking the bags to Scarborough for us :notworthy:
Also, great to ride again with those mentioned plus Gil, @DiddlyDodds, @theclaud and @IG88

Overall 85 miles and 3,200 ft of climbing

https://www.strava.com/activities/2691033528

Screenshot 2019-09-08 at 16.35.26.png

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've slowly been getting back out and about on the bike and building my fitness which whilst nowhere near where I was before is now bordering on OK! ...
It was good to see you doing long(ish) rides again.

Great ride report!

I feel sorry that I don't come all the way to Scarborough (or Llandudno on the sister ride) these days, but I can't afford to stop over (or the higher rail fares) so I compromise and do the first half, before turning back.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Arrived on the Isle of Wight this morning, sorted ourselves out and went for a short bike ride to Sandown.

Went to Fat Harry’s where we bought fish and chip’s to have at the sea front. We could have bought Banana Fritter’s and apple waffle’s and presumably deep fried apostrophes.

I think it’s my civic duty to let you know that Harry wasn’t fat and his name isn’t Harry, it’s Gary. Anyway the fish and chips were FAB.

A chip over 6.5 miles.

69ADE257-FA61-48BA-A82D-1CE2E3D6854C.jpeg
D338B1C3-3266-417D-95AD-07548C384C90.jpeg
C5B358C8-31B1-4011-BF01-2389ED437A5F.jpeg

Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
@nickyboy 's ride fromLeeds to Scarborough

Good ride in good company. Thanks @nickyboy , for organising, even though you had had enough by the time we got to Cawood. How did you get that spoke to break just where you planned?
Nice to meet some new faces too and apologies for not getting to say farewell to everyone at Malton, but I'm sure we will cross paths again.
If we go again next year I'll stay over:okay:
Colin had planned a very nice route back using part of the 'Wolds Way', some very scenic, traffic free, well surfaced roads, and bits of the outwards route. Through York using pretty much cycle paths all the way. North East to South West and just a few hundred yards of road. It took a while but if only all cities had such good cycle paths.
Out of York and through Copmanthorpe we came across a group of men and women hanging about a bridge over the railway lines. Stopping to speak to an older man it turned out to be not what we expected, a dogging meet, but a group of rail enthusiasts. A steam train was due to be passing though. 'Clun Castle' I was told. ''Cos it dunt mek it oop North much''

clun-jpg.jpg

We waited a bit but it was late so we pressed on and 5 mins later were crossing back over the same line. More bodies waiting but still no sign of the train so my hope of getting a 'live' photo went out the window. 100m down the road we heard the tell tale whistle of a steam train in the distance. A quick about turn and a brisk ride back up to the top of the bridge saw 'Clun Castle' speeding into view. It was shifting at quite a pace and I had no time to take a photo.
It was impressive though and making quite a racket with steam and smoke billowing. It didn't have the usual rapid chuff chuff chuff of a speeding locomotive. The pistons working at such a speed it sounded more like a crackley helecopter rotor. Magnificent.

I'm not sure how much ground I covered yesterday because I was without electronics. Somewhere between 102 and 115 miles. (115.4 as it turned out) Plenty enough. Me and @ColinJ parted company at Aberford and I had to stop before I even got to Barwick-in-Elmete because I fell off the cliff energy wise. My last half of a jam sandwich had me on the road again within a couple of mins though and I was home by about 8pm.

Great day out.

Plotted using ColinJ's information
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/39685514

Last edited:
Well club run today. A weird start with Wraysbury Road Staines jammed with huge number of lorries with lights flashing, and eardrum busting horns sounding.

Just three of us. Outward through Windsor, White Waltham, Warren End home of Velolife, struggling with a bureaucratic planning dept at Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead. Through Henley, and south to Sonning Common. On one of the last roads , there was a large amount of gravel in the centre of the narrow road. Well I found my back wheel slipping away when clear I was going off, I aimed for the right hand vegetation, which was unfortunately mostly brambles.

I got numerous scratches which looked worse than it felt with some bleeding.

So stop at the Herb Farm was welcome and I could clean up.

Back journey through Sonning, Twyford, Binfield, and eventually through the great park.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2690662912
55.7 miles @14.7 mph 1820 feet climbed

C R

Guru
Sunday again so another ride for the metric half challenge. After last week's climbing trials, I decided I would take something a bit flatter.

The forecast was for clear skies, but temperature below 10C for the early morning, so long sleeves and fingered gloves, but still in shorts.

Out a bit after 6:30, for the first time before sunrise since spring, though there was almost full daylight by the time I was rolling.

Down the A38 through Kempsey, and then a left at Baynhall for Kerswell Green, where I could see the sun coming up behind the trees around Pirton Pool

IMG_20190908_064952294.jpg

Quite an uneventful ride up Kinnersley Bank and down all the way through Kinnersley and Earls Croome, though I somehow was feeling like it was harder to ride than it should be, and attributed it to the lower temperature.

Upton came quick, and then was a left on the Gloucester road for Longdon. This is a nice quiet road, with a different view of the Malverns
IMG_20190908_072211669.jpg

And my bike with a milestone sign
IMG_20190908_072251899.jpg

I won't be going as far as Gloucester, though, taking a left for Tewkesbury at the A438, it is a fairly easy ride to the A38, but stopping for some refreshment and photos on the bridge over the Severn.

IMG_20190908_074859042.jpg

And another view of the Malverns
IMG_20190908_074837023.jpg

From here it is a quick ride through the edge of Tewkesbury, and then on to Bredon and Eckington. Stopped at the picnic area by the Avon, where there were a few swans swimming, and the sun made nice light effects on the surface of the river, though my photos don't make it justice.
IMG_20190908_082616946_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190908_082630511_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190908_082748087_HDR.jpg

Now the last section of the ride to Pershore, up Holloway for the only climb of notice, and a swift descent on Rebecca Rd. Then Wadborough, Littleworth and home.

It turns out this was the quickest challenge ride I have done, which might explain why it felt harder than usual, 36.2 miles at 14.8 mph.

IMG_20190908_201111.jpg

Garmin says 2C, but it wasn't anywhere as cold as that. 8C at a guess when setting off, and probably 15C by the time I got home. Lovely ride, lets hope for these bright Sundays to last a while longer yet.

colly

Re member eR
I think @colly intended to say "NOT a dogging meet"! :laugh:
Yeah but we were hoping like.

Got all clear to start pedalling again so did 7 mile loop of the coastal paths at Bervie . Big sorry to the lady on the path who i startled with a good morning . She nearly jumped her own height . Sorry also to the lady with 4 dogs ,all on leads . I didnt think it would end well .....Lunch was taken at Gourden Harbour where the local shop doesnt do filled rolls . All told a very enjoyable Sunday pootle . I could get right into this again .

Glow worm

Legendary Member
First a couple from a short ride around North Creake, Norfolk from Friday.

IMG_4031.JPG

Creake Abbey. There's a surperb cafe just around the corner, well worth a visit.

IMG_4032.JPG

North Creake church. I took the cross country route back.

Then today a 21 mile ride up to a nature reserve near Ely called Kingfisher Bridge.

IMG_4035.JPG

White Fen above. Part of the Lodes Way cycle route.

IMG_4036.JPG

The trademark wonky telegraph poles of the fens.

IMG_4037.JPG

Hill Farm (Upware). Who says us flatlanders don't have a sense of humour?!

IMG_4038.JPG

Made it to the nature reserve and made some friends.

I'd been hoping to see a passing osprey or two at Kingfisher Bridge. One had been spotted there earlier but I was out of luck.

But then on my way home, near Wiicken, I was watching Marsh harrier through the bins and another, paler bird caught my eye - boom- osprey! Made my day. I watched it circle getting higher and higher before drifting off south east, a distant speck. As this was around 4 pm I guess it would probably spend tonight somewhere around Sussex before crossing the channel tomorrow.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Sunday - Crikey 21 degrees on the outdoor thermometer so one of the new short sleeve jerseys donned and a pair of mitts retrieved. Initially headed south today on the Defy, avoiding the country park again so a circuitous route to start off with and then joining the route through the Pine Woods passed a number of riders from the Yorkshire Lass Cycling Club returning from their club ride and branching off in different directions. Down to Pannal where the first set of traffic lights cooperated nicely and the second set at the A61 junction nearly did. Up Drury Lane in a new PR despite deliberately leaving one foot unclipped remembering the sudden stop needed last time up this 12.7% max climb. A long wait then followed to cross the bypass for Kirkby Overblow. Thereafter having passed some horse riders turned down Moor Lane and realised from the steepness of the decent why I had failed to climb up it few weeks back.

Climbed Chapel Hill and Mill Lane Kearby, the latter despite the lack of Hill in its name being the steeper up to 12.4% and then through Sicklinghall to Wetherby, where Linton Road once over the old railway bridge had been completely resurfaced :smile: Out of the town on the A168 to Walshford and then to Cattal from where road closure notices for the UCI Championships (the Mens race on the Friday) dominated the roadside. Followed the race route in avoiding the level crossing, across the A59 and through Whixley onto the B6265. Turned west, leaving the UCI route, back to the A168 and then via Arkendale to Farnham where UCI road closure signs reappeared, for the Para-cycling on the first Saturday. Took the quick way home from Ripley via the A61 and B6161 and on the latter suffered more of a near miss rather than close pass:cursing:
{EDIT - Photo removed as the Police are now involved}
40.12 miles 2275ft climbed Avg 12 mph.
0809 route.jpg
0809 elevation.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom