Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Wednesday presented a window of opportunity - the weather forecast was good and Mrs. jg confirmed my presence wasn't required for a few days. I've got an unemployed YHA card somewhere so decided to put that to some use with a mini tour into Yorkshire.

I was a bit late starting so took the boring and busy A167 down to Newton Aycliffe then cut round the town on more boring roads to Heighington. From there the roads become increasingly rural and I had a pleasant ride down to Richmond.

The first real bit of climbing comes at Downholme and as I reached the top I heard the BRRRRAAARRRP of machine gun fire followed by a rat-a-tat-tat of something lighter then the ominous chug-chug-chug of something much heavier. The red flags were flying above the Wathgill ranges and I could still hear their racket even when climbing out of Wensleydale into Coverdale about six miles away.

Coverdale where the miles are hard won. Not a metre of the road is flat. In my mind I see an argument between two ancient road builders - one wanting a road in the valley bottom and one wanting a road on the ridgeline. There is no winner, the road never reaches either the valley bottom or the ridge but oscillates crazily between the two. In fact the first time the road gets anywhere near the river is to cross it at Cover Head where it is only a tiny stream and then it immediately rears skywards to climb over to Wharfedale.

This is the 'easy' side of the infamous Park Rash which climbs from Wharfedale into Coverdale. Easy is a relative term though and at the top I promise myself that the next time I come this way it will be on my motorbike. The view from the top today is stupendous - all the way to the North Sea at Teesmouth which must be sixty miles away.

20190918_163315[1].jpg

Hunters Stone at the top of Coverdale. Squint hard enough and you can see Middlesborough.

The descent down Park Rash is literally a white knuckle ride with fists wrapped tightly around the brake levers to keep the bike under control. There was no need to pedal any more as I carried enough speed to take me right up to the Hostel door.

upload_2019-9-20_19-38-36.png

68 miles with 5,100ft of climbing.

TBC

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Wednesday presented a window of opportunity - the weather forecast was good and Mrs. jg confirmed my presence wasn't required for a few days. I've got an unemployed YHA card somewhere so decided to put that to some use with a mini tour into Yorkshire.

I was a bit late starting so took the boring and busy A167 down to Newton Aycliffe then cut round the town on more boring roads to Heighington. From there the roads become increasingly rural and I had a pleasant ride down to Richmond.

The first real bit of climbing comes at Downholme and as I reached the top I heard the BRRRRAAARRRP of machine gun fire followed by a rat-a-tat-tat of something lighter then the ominous chug-chug-chug of something much heavier. The red flags were flying above the Wathgill ranges and I could still hear their racket even when climbing out of Wensleydale into Coverdale about six miles away.

Coverdale where the miles are hard won. Not a metre of the road is flat. In my mind I see an argument between two ancient road builders - one wanting a road in the valley bottom and one wanting a road on the ridgeline. There is no winner, the road never reaches either the valley bottom or the ridge but oscillates crazily between the two. In fact the first time the road gets anywhere near the river is to cross it at Cover Head where it is only a tiny stream and then it immediately rears skywards to climb over to Wharfedale.

This is the 'easy' side of the infamous Park Rash which climbs from Wharfedale into Coverdale. Easy is a relative term though and at the top I promise myself that the next time I come this way it will be on my motorbike. The view from the top today is stupendous - all the way to the North Sea at Teesmouth which must be sixty miles away.

View attachment 485969
Hunters Stone at the top of Coverdale. Squint hard enough and you can see Middlesborough.

The descent down Park Rash is literally a white knuckle ride with fists wrapped tightly around the brake levers to keep the bike under control. There was no need to pedal any more as I carried enough speed to take me right up to the Hostel door.

View attachment 485970

68 miles with 5,100ft of climbing.

TBC
What a beautiful part of the world. When I was 16 years old I had a 50cc motorbike, it would only get up Park Rash in first gear! In those days the road from Kettlewell to Middleham had several gates to open and close as you passed through.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Metric Century-a-Month Challenge time again today. Took advantage of putting my car in for a service in Cheltenham to start a ride somewhere different for a change. The idea was to ride home to Quedgeley (just South of Gloucester) the long way .... heading first East then North, then West before turning South. Cheltenham, during the rush hour and with low sun and fast roundabouts, was a bit grim. Once I got past the racecourse, things started to improve, and by the time I'd climbed up the long drag past Dowdeswell reservoir, it was mostly quiet lanes all the way home. I ended up following a considerable chunk of the BHF Cotswolds Bike Ride route, up the fearsome Roel Hill and then along a ridge with far-reaching views down to Winchcombe. After negotiating a gated road leading steeply down towards Hailes Abbey, I detoured into Stanton & Stanway before finally hitting about 3 miles of roads that I'd never done before. Then back home via Beckford, Bredon, Tewkesbury, Ashleworth and another small but brutal little climb up the Woolridge. Always gets me counting to 100 through gritted teeth, that one. Went by dead reckoning, and misjudged it a tad, meaning I had to ride past my house and out through Elmore for about 3 miles before turning for home and hitting 100km. Actually did 62.5 miles in the end Some piccies of Gloucestershire/Worcestershire scenery:
245 Whittington.JPG 246 Brockhampton Court.JPG 247.JPG 249 Down to Hailes Abbey.JPG 250 Stanway.JPG 251 Stanton.JPG 252 Beckford.JPG 253 The Mythe.JPG 254.JPG
Another glorious day round these parts. The end of the Indian Summer? Lets hope it keeps going.
Oh, well. That's my first ride since getting back to Blighty. And a good 'un too. Feeling surprisingly fresh too, despite the 62.5 miles and the 3 hills. Climbing Alps was obviously good for me.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Another lovely day here. 18 miles for me. This was probably the last day for getting out as the weather is changing tonight to rain and yucky stuff.

Lots of cyclists were out enjoying the sun and warmth. A horrid head wind as well, but still enjoyed the ride. Oh and one horse being ridden. It was all decked out with bright orange reflective ear muffs and socks and cover across his back. He must light up like a Christmas tree at night. ^_^

20190921_110244.jpg
20190921_112020.jpg
20190921_110240.jpg
20190921_103437.jpg
20190921_112009.jpg
20190921_104232.jpg
20190921_104235.jpg
20190921_104237.jpg

Mrs M

Guru
A5C6B942-6395-4306-AE2C-53224C006FA7.jpeg
D3EDF7BA-3E34-42B7-8308-F23FA7E85842.jpeg
20528611-A65B-409A-BE4B-9576D567D5A6.jpeg
9A2339E3-5844-412B-BB9E-AE925E4767B9.jpeg
Nice 2 hour toddle today when Mr M was golfing.
Short sleeves were optimistic today so put on my re “cycled” old golf jacket. It’s goretex and lightweight, nice and bright with decent pockets too :okay: perfect
Passed by “The Tin Coo” farm shop and cafe but too soon for refreshments. Did stop to admire the Highland cow and her cute wee calf.
Asked one of the staff how old the little one was, only 2 months. Mum was ok with me nearby but advised she likes to shake her horns around, stayed back just in case. The baby was so cute (pic doesn’t do justice) a wee fluffy brown face and adorable teeny tiny hooves :wub:
Think Dad was in the opposite field having a snooze!
The Aberdeen bypass has taken so much traffic off the country roads and feel really lucky to have such lovely rides on our doorstep.
Enjoyable ride out :smile:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Steve E, John G, Pete M, Sara P and me today. Nice to see Sara after a bit of absence. Steve was on a deadline so the Mayfly was the call. Standard run out taking the longer route by Ockeridge. Good stop at the Mayfly with al fresco snacks as the blue skies and warm sun allowed. Just as we were leaving Pete's rear tyre gasped as it went flat. The other 3 said their goodbyes so it was me and Pete with the fix. Sorted we took a steady ride back. Nice outing but I had nothing to put out on the road today. I just rode as best as I could. 41 smiles

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Just arrived at the YHA in Kettlewell to find a couple of blokes pushing their bikes into the shed in front of me. They'd ridden from Rochdale. They were having a long discussion about whether to lock up their bikes. Eventually they did. Lock them that is.

No surprise then to find them checking in whilst having a long discussion about whether to 'upgrade' to a single occupancy room. Eventually they did. Upgrade to a single occupancy room that is. It cost them an extra £9 each.

They moved off and I got to the reception desk. 'Is anyone in the same room as me?' I asked. 'Well those two were but now they've booked another room you're on your own' replied the manager. 'Is there any extra charge?' I ask. He laughs, ' none at all'. I've just effectively got a free upgrade paid for by two blokes from Lancashire. Doesn't get much better for a Yorkshireman.

Anyway, on to day two of my mini tour to Yorkshire. Thursday morning was eye wateringly glorious. Calm with bright sunshine throwing long shadows across the valley, peaceful with only the sound of rooks cawing and not a cloud in the sky.

20190919_090759[1].jpg

Looking across the River Wharfe to Kilnsey crag

I had a gentle ride on the quiet side of the valley past Kilnsey and through Grass Woods to Grassington. It was too early to stop so I pressed on through Hebden with its down then up swoop past the Clarendon, onto Dibbles Bridge with its own down and up swoop. No respite after that though until Greenhow is reached.

20190919_102026[1].jpg

Sign at Greenhow

It seems that not all the residents are looking forward to the World Champs.

Made a quick call to my owd lass, as I always do at the top of Greenhow hill, to tell her I could see her house from there then plunged down into Pateley Bridge for tea and rhubarb cake at the Sweetheart tea rooms.

Getting out of PB was a bit of a problem as two HGVs were very slowly edging past each other on the High Street, taking up all the road and both of the footpaths. Have to admire their skill in getting through but also have to question whether there aren't better ways of transporting stuff to places that were built in the days of horse and cart.

I was in no rush though and took the climb to Brimham Rocks steadily, knowing that the ride would get a lot easier once I'd got to the top. There was also the ride through Studley Park to look forward to.

20190919_120003[1].jpg

Studley Park

Spotted this gate on the way down to Ripon.

20190919_121157[1].jpg

Some of the locals are looking forward to the World Champs. And some are not. I called into the Grantham Arms at Boroughbridge and had a blether with a few blokes at the bar. There was quite a bit of moaning about road and school closures but they also seemed really pleased that their area had been chosen for such a prestigious event.

From there it was into York, the last few miles being on the riverside cycle path. It's very bumpy.

upload_2019-9-21_17-57-39.png

57 miles with 3,100ft of climbing.

TBC

Mr Celine

Discordian
Friday night's ride, I clocked off early due to the unseasonal sunshine and complete absence of wind. I could have done with a cooling breeze on some of the hills. Only one stop for a photo, at the top of one of said hills, a climb I don't do often and it would appear other people don't either as it resulted in a top ten strava trophy. Looking south east towards the Cheviots -

IMG_20190920_164941[1].jpg

I've finally worked out how to fully charge my gopro. It always shows 4hrs 40 mins charge but often runs out after five minutes so I rarely bothered putting it on the bike but did so yesterday. And guess what, one shockingly close pass -

200919Pheasant.png

That's a pheasant above the left gear cable desperately trying to take off. Fortunately it held its line in the sprint as I'm doing about 35 mph at this point and hitting it at that speed would not have been good for either of us.

The map -
upload_2019-9-21_19-13-28.png

31.5 miles @14.7mph, 702m up.

Mike_P

Guru
Grabbed a late morning ride west to Thornthwaite this morning on the Defy presumably for the last time this year without any form of mudguards. Between Hampsthwaite and Clapham Green there were number of pros heading in the opposite direction obviously trailing one of the UCI routes as I plodded uphill at somewhat a slower speed albeit in a new PR by a good half a minute as part of a row of PRs that came to an abrupt halt with the climb of Day Lane up to Menwith Hill Road, 7.1% avg 16.4% max and plainly too warm today, plus a cross wind hindering, as I stopped midway to get my breath back and not assisted prior to that by my right foot and right pedal becoming disconnected. The wind became a more noticeable cross / headwind on Penny Pot with Knabs Ridge wind farm working nicely; slightly puzzled to pass a parked UCI vehicle as this road is not any of the routes and noted the road outside the housing site on the circuit had thankfully had its patch repairs improved. 19.01 miles 1258ft climbed Avg 14.1mph.
210919 am route.jpg
210919 am elev.jpg

A change of gear including MTB shorts and out on the biked hybrid to find some nominally closed roads to watch the para-cycling. First stopped at the junction on the B6165 where the routes diverged which was very warm so after the initial riders had gone past trundled south-east and found a shady bus stop shelter against which I could prop the ebike so that the sports cam was angled correctly . Stayed there, riders appeared usually in ones or twos such as Dame Sarah Storey accompanied by tv bike
Para1.jpg

with the occasional grouping
Para 2.jpg

until the broom wagon went pass and then continued south-east only to stop as a few more riders passed and another broom wagon appeared accompanied by the End of Race vehicle. Continued to Knaresborough where the A59 was just reopening so with a hefty volume of traffic released from the shackles made the mistake of taking the parallel cycleway and found myself stuck behind another cyclist and slightly puzzled that his speed up the climb was very similar to that on the level. Back on the vehicular carriageway, which was a long queue of vehicles, eventually found an opportune moment to overtake him. Looped round to the bike park for the Fanzone and got slightly confused where the entrance was; turned out it was not marked, just a case of spotting the gap in the fence and I think I probably did a 380 degree circle of it. Dame Sarah Storey was being interviewed on the stage and commented that the run in to Harrogate was a struggle because of the wind when a breeze had been predicted; the presenter pointed out it was a Yorkshire breeze. Due to delayed medal presentations the opening ceremony was a bit late starting and the flag was raised at which point a light, non Yorkshire, breeze was evident by its inability to fly.
IMG_20190921_180001842.jpg

Headed back home using sections of the Circuit and discovered I had “lost” the thin wallet I take with me when cycling – debit card, BC Card and ‘emergency’ ten pound note; eventually dawned on me it was in the zipped pocket of the MTB shorts. 15.06 miles 1002ft of ebike motor paying back its cost.
210919 pm route.jpg

Last edited:

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Day three of my mini tour to Yorkshire found me well fed but tired and grumpy due to lack of sleep in York YHA. The dorm had been full but it wasn't the usual horrors of snoring and flatulence that had kept me awake; it was the heat. The security features on the windows prevented them from being opened by all but the slimmest gap so we were stifled.

I was up and out of there as soon as it was light but decided to change my plan for a hilly ride home and dawdle up the Vale of York instead. Rode North out of the city on the main road figuring most of the traffic would be going the other way and I would avoid the bumpy cycle path. Once clear of the ring road I took to the lanes through Overton and Alne to bring me to Easingwold in time for a second breakfast.

Easingwold was market day rammed but I managed to find a seat in the sun at the tea room right on the market square. I ordered a strong coffee to keep me awake and a dark chocolate and stem ginger thing to chew on then just sat there sunbathing and people watching. I was in no rush.

Eventually I mooched off still with no clear route in mind but just gradually tacking North on the lanes rather than the main roads. And so I rolled slowly into Maunby just as the pub was opening.

20190920_122045[1].jpg

The Buck at Maunby

That pint coupled with the lack of sleep forced me to move onto plan C. A few miles down the road, somewhere between Warlaby and Danby Wiske I had an attack of the dozies and almost fell off my bike. No more zig zagging now but a fairly direct route to Darlo where I jumped on a train for home.

upload_2019-9-22_12-0-29.png

63 miles with 1,400ft of climbing. TBH I'm a bit dubious about that 1,400ft as there didn't seem to be any climbing at all. Maybe it was all the bridges as I crossed the East Coast mainline several times.

Mike_P

Guru
Getting out of PB was a bit of a problem as two HGVs were very slowly edging past each other on the High Street, taking up all the road and both of the footpaths. Have to admire their skill in getting through but also have to question whether there aren't better ways of transporting stuff to places that were built in the days of horse and cart.
Its called modernisation; their was a railway until the 1960s

Top Bottom