Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

galaxy

Veteran
Back on home soil today for a tandem ride with Mrs. jg.

We dropped down through Chester le Street, got onto the C2C track at North Lodge and headed West at a gentle pace. 'Very relaxing this', says Mrs. jg and it is. Weather's decent, there aren't too many other people on the track and everything's all right with the world.

After a brief debate we decided not to carry on up the track from Beamish but to take to the road through West Pelton and Grange Villa.

View attachment 486366
Allotments at Grange Villa

Then it was the tough climb up through Craghead onto Wagtail Lane to bring us out onto Green Lane at the top of Quaking Houses bank. Not much discussion up here as we panted to the top.

View attachment 486367
'Looking Out, Looking In' Miner's memorial at Craghead.

Another discussion at the top. This one about school turning out times. We decided we didn't want to get involved so bombed down through Holmside and across Waldridge Fell. That cut our ride down to just 16 miles but it was good to get out together for a change.
Lovely Tandem, i used to live in Shiney Row and went to school In Chester-Le- Street, back in the mid 80`s when the world was a better place.Well at least it felt like it then.

galaxy

Veteran
A bit of a spin to stretch the legs before the weather deteriorated. I took the Raleigh and headed for Lyth Hill, Condover, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Cound Stank, Cross Houses, Atcham, Upton Magna and back through Shrewsbury.

Overcast but with occasional glimpses of sunshine and a fresh breeze which was a headwind for the start and finish but a nice tailwind for much of the middle part of the ride.

I thought I'd be helpful at Hunger Hill and pull into a gateway to let a pickup past. Unfortunately they wanted to get into the field through that gate themselves. Ho hum.:rolleyes: At Ryton the road is closed by The Fox so after asking if it was okay to walk through the works I had the road pretty much to myself (there was one other cyclist) for the couple of miles to Longnor.:thumbsup:

The tailwind was nice all the way to Sundorne (where I took to the road as I knew the old canal path would be muddy) and the drivers behaved themselves making it good to be out. I did a bit of a loop round the town centre (not good for the average speed due to slow traffic) then dropped into the Quarry before leaving town via Belle Vue. The rain started about half an hour after I got back.

29.3 miles at 14.3 mph average.

No photos from this one.
On Sunday we walked part of the Long Mynd, before going to Market Drayton, see a lot of the signs for vilages and places you often mention in your write ups.

C R

Guru
It poured down all morning, but as I was going down to the kitchen to make my lunch I noticed that it had stop and there were even some sunny spells. I couldn't let the chance of a quick lunchtime loop go.

12.5 miles, roads not too wet considering how much it rained. Headwind on the way out required a bit more effort than usual, but still a lovely ride.

After many dry rides, can`t remember the last time I got wet but today .......... I was`nt expecting to get a ride in but it stopped raining and brightened by 2.00 so I thought lets go. The roads were certainly drying up as I headed to Creeting and then Stowupland and it still felt warm despite the rain this morning. I`d actually put a base layer on under my short sleeve top ( I hate cold arms and neck) and nearly stopped to take it off but did`nt. I headed to Mendlesham and Cotton and my intention today was to try a slightly different route using those narrow country lanes. As I glanced over my shoulder I could see the clouds get darker in the distance and thought, I am not going to miss this. It started to rain, not too badly so thought my luck was holding. A Police car came the other way and he did`nt slow down, just as well as I did. Shortly afterwards, well, the heavens opened, oh what joy. I was`nt sure if it was hail as it sounded so loud on the helmet, just hard rain I think. I continued on wards to Gipping chuckling away to myself being drenched to the skin, once you are wet you are wet I always say. The last 3 miles it stopped raining and was quite pleasant. The ride ended up at 20.7 at 17.5mph ave (for what it was worth). When I got in I found out that I was`nt the only one who got wet, as Mrs Missile just popped to Tesco and got soaked walking to the car. We compared notes of the rain. Enjoyed the ride and pleased that i`d taken the Claude Butler with mudguards and overshoes although feet still got wet.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I also wasn't expecting to get out today with the heavy rain hammering down all morning. Just after lunch though it brightened up and a check of the rainfall radar showed a gap to get out in so I grabbed the knockabout bike and went for it.

Just an easy local loop: Lyth HIll, Condover, Kingstreet, Cross Houses, Cound, Harnage, Cound Moor, Acton Burnell, Longnor, Ryton, Condover and back over Lyth Hill.

It was a bit chilly straight after the rain so I set out with a fleece and the trouser legs on but by only five miles in I felt boiled as the sun tried to break through so stopped to take those off. Hazards were a few small floods to splash through and busy traffic to cope with on the short main road sections but apart from that a very enjoyable ride. I was a bit slow against the wind while heading southwards but that turned into a good tailwind to help me home. I was fortunate enough to avoid the showers while out and got back with dark clouds just starting to gather again to the west.

25.7 miles at 13.3 mph average.

DSC0007630.jpg

A bit of a water splash before I get into Condover.

DSC0007633.jpg

Still some showers about over the Church Stretton area.

DSC0007635.jpg

Looking towards the Wrekin from Harnage.

DSC0007639.jpg

Another view of the Wrekin from Lyth Hill.

I've got this week off work and, having looked at the weather forecast, today was probably going to be the best day of the lot so I took the opportunity to get out while I could.

The first 15 miles was the same as yesterday - the very indirect run through Falkenham (where a bulk carrier blocked the road while being loaded with sugar beet, but the farmer kindly stopped the conveyor belt so I could walk underneath, on the verge), Kirton, Newbourne and Martlesham. This time I turned right and headed into Woodbridge, on to Melton and then south down the other side of the River Deben past
View attachment 486428 which I've never been to, despite it only being a few miles away. Once I got to Shottisham I turned off the 'B' road onto an unclassified road which led to the object of the ride - All Saints at Ramsholt, the last of the three local round tower churches that I'd not photographed (Aldham & Hasketon beng the others) View attachment 486431 Unfortunately this was down little more than a farm track and I picked up a very slow puncture which I should have fixed at the next photo stop at the Ramsholt Arms down another side road by the river, but I just put some air into the tyre and carried on without even stopping for a pint!
View attachment 486434 Leaving the riverside, I headed out on a loop of Alderton, Hollesley & back to Shottisham (with another stop to add air to the softening tyre) before taking the road back towards Woodbridge. Unfortunately the tyre started loosing more air so I had to stop at a picnic site and fix the problem (a small sharp stone which just had nicked the tube) before continuing on a more direct route home. It got quite breezy for the later part, but it was a lovely warm and sunny day for a ride. https://www.strava.com/activities/2733430467
View attachment 486437 View attachment 486436
Cracking church...very old tower. I like it.

I also wasn't expecting to get out today with the heavy rain hammering down all morning. Just after lunch though it brightened up and a check of the rainfall radar showed a gap to get out in so I grabbed the knockabout bike and went for it.

Just an easy local loop: Lyth HIll, Condover, Kingstreet, Cross Houses, Cound, Harnage, Cound Moor, Acton Burnell, Longnor, Ryton, Condover and back over Lyth Hill.

It was a bit chilly straight after the rain so I set out with a fleece and the trouser legs on but by only five miles in I felt boiled as the sun tried to break through so stopped to take those off. Hazards were a few small floods to splash through and busy traffic to cope with on the short main road sections but apart from that a very enjoyable ride. I was a bit slow against the wind while heading southwards but that turned into a good tailwind to help me home. I was fortunate enough to avoid the showers while out and got back with dark clouds just starting to gather again to the west.

View attachment 486511

View attachment 486512

View attachment 486513

View attachment 486514
I was sat in air con office today...but....chapeau to anyone who went out :okay:

pjd57

Veteran
strava6355659384875026541.jpg

weather forecast was for thunderstorms , torrential downpours etc, so I opted for a run down to Balloch
Plenty of train stations all along the route , just in case.
First few miles were a bit wet, but nothing drastic.
Soon dried out and enjoyed an easy flat run.
Once in Balloch I went to check a future return circular route before turning back home.
Bit of a slog on the canal, wind was getting up from the east.
Coffee stop at Anniesland, then a few local things to do , getting me over the 50 mile mark.

It seems the heavy rain stayed south of Glasgow.

P.S. the cows were behaving.

gavgav

Guru

View attachment 486511

View attachment 486512

View attachment 486513

View attachment 486514

Descending through those showers in an A320 was rather interesting this afternoon!! Boing bounce boing!

Buck

Guru
I had booked to attend a Canyon/Rapha ride from Harrogate today as part of their involvement with the UCI World Championships taking place there this week. The main reason was to test ride the Endurace which is on my short list for my new bike.

Despite a couple of days of decent weather today proved to be a little damp, soggy, in fact very very wet!

I’d reserved a bike and just had to take my pedals, shoes and a helmet so I was on the 07:30 train from home via Huddersfield and Harrogate and a short walk to the Starling Cafe meeting point.

There should have been around 35 people on the ride but the weather put a few off so we ended up with around 9 riders and 3 ride leaders.

The Canyon and Rapha team of guys there were excellent, helping fit the loan bike and briefing us on the ride. They had decided that the long ride we’d planned wouldn’t go ahead as there were a few technical descents that would be unsafe in the conditions.

As well as getting a lovely Canyon Endurace (with SRAM Red Electronic shifting) they were also providing Wahoo Roam head unit’s with the routes pre programmed into them. Nice.

We set of out of the Centre of Harrogate, past the famous Betty’s Cafe then out towards Burnbridge and Pannal. Surprisingly we were soon out of the centre and into countryside. Unfortunately, the drizzle had turned to heavy rain which accompanied us all the way through the ride.

As a result, the road conditions were terrible with lots of standing water, debris on the road and a few potholes thrown in for good measure! One guy was unlucky to have two punctures whilst everyone else was more fortunate. The rain was stinging our faces as we rode on and visibility was difficult due to the constant spray on my glasses but harder without them!

A steady climb to Beckwithshaw then on a nice 7 dilating route on country roads to Norwood took us to a fast decent to Fewston across the head of the reservoir (a good test of the excellent disc brakes) but what goes down must come up so we had a long pull with a few steep ramps out of Fewston and back onto the tops. A good test for my fitness which is slowly coming back. The return into Harrogate was effectively one long run on Penny Pot Lane which, as it neared the Centre became part of the official route with the barriers and banners lining the route.

5399E692-045A-41D7-8F2A-59B5C96A2778.jpeg

Then it was back to the cafe to ring out the socks (I kid you not!), get changed into dry clothes and get something to eat.

I had intended to visit the fanzone but when I got there they had closed it as the field was flooded and unsafe so I headed back to the station and home.

Despite the weather (I can’t remember ever cycling in rain like that before) it was a great group ride and a perfect test of an elusive Canyon bike.

20.7 soggy miles with 1,600ft of climbing
https://www.strava.com/activities/2735653018

4DAD2DA8-392F-4712-B194-2B52C49422D7.jpeg

I had booked to attend a Canyon/Rapha ride from Harrogate today as part of their involvement with the UCI World Championships taking place there this week. The main reason was to test ride the Endurace which is on my short list for my new bike.

Despite a couple of days of decent weather today proved to be a little damp, soggy, in fact very very wet!

I’d reserved a bike and just had to take my pedals, shoes and a helmet so I was on the 07:30 train from home via Huddersfield and Harrogate and a short walk to the Starling Cafe meeting point.

There should have been around 35 people on the ride but the weather put a few off so we ended up with around 9 riders and 3 ride leaders.

The Canyon and Rapha team of guys there were excellent, helping fit the loan bike and briefing us on the ride. They had decided that the long ride we’d planned wouldn’t go ahead as there were a few technical descents that would be unsafe in the conditions.

As well as getting a lovely Canyon Endurace (with SRAM Red Electronic shifting) they were also providing Wahoo Roam head unit’s with the routes pre programmed into them. Nice.

We set of out of the Centre of Harrogate, past the famous Betty’s Cafe then out towards Burnbridge and Pannal. Surprisingly we were soon out of the centre and into countryside. Unfortunately, the drizzle had turned to heavy rain which accompanied us all the way through the ride.

As a result, the road conditions were terrible with lots of standing water, debris on the road and a few potholes thrown in for good measure! One guy was unlucky to have two punctures whilst everyone else was more fortunate. The rain was stinging our faces as we rode on and visibility was difficult due to the constant spray on my glasses but harder without them!

A steady climb to Beckwithshaw then on a nice 7 dilating route on country roads to Norwood took us to a fast decent to Fewston across the head of the reservoir (a good test of the excellent disc brakes) but what goes down must come up so we had a long pull with a few steep ramps out of Fewston and back onto the tops. A good test for my fitness which is slowly coming back. The return into Harrogate was effectively one long run on Penny Pot Lane which, as it neared the Centre became part of the official route with the barriers and banners lining the route.

View attachment 486548
Then it was back to the cafe to ring out the socks (I kid you not!), get changed into dry clothes and get something to eat.

I had intended to visit the fanzone but when I got there they had closed it as the field was flooded and unsafe so I headed back to the station and home.

Despite the weather (I can’t remember ever cycling in rain like that before) it was a great group ride and a perfect test of an elusive Canyon bike.

20.7 soggy miles with 1,600ft of climbing
https://www.strava.com/activities/2735653018

View attachment 486547
Nice ride report in terrible conditions, good on you for going. Did the bike pass with flying colours ?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'd hoped to get out on a ride with my brother today (at his suggestion) but he "forgot" and wasn't ready so that ended up not happening. After doing a few odd jobs I got out on my own later on using the knockabout bike again to complete a shortish loop: Into the Quarry, Uffington, Upton Magna, Atcham, Condover and back via Lyth Hill.

At the time I set out I thought I'd be through with time to spare before the school rush but it seems one of the schools kicked out at about 2.15 this afternoon.:wacko: After trying to get through the crowd on the cycle path I gave up and took to the road instead - should have done it sooner.

The Quarry and the towpath to Castlefields was quite busy with people out walking too so not a quick ride along here. I took the old canal path which turned out to be drier than expected after the rain yesterday then found the lane to Upton Magna fairly quiet. I wondered whether a taxi was going to pull out in front of me from the Attingham estate (he was coming out of the farm entrance which has poor visibility rather than using the marked exit).

Since yesterday a set of four-way temporary traffic lights has appeared at the Kingstreet crossroads. Fortunately it changed for me just as I got to it, saving a bit of a wait. I'm not sure the drivers who were already waiting at the other lights appreciated it as much.:whistle:

On thenarrow and steep climb over Lyth Hill I paused to allow a car to come the other way and the driver didn't even acknowledge my existence let alone offer a thankyou. Manners don't cost anything you know.:dry:

21.1 miles this trip at 13 mph average.

No pics again I'm afraid.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Jules H and Margaret PR showed up as planned at the Pot. We were aiming at Ditchford Bank for our stop at the Fishing Lakes. With a small chance of a shower the consensus was for a fairly standard route. So out by Defford and Pinvin. The ford at Pinvin had flooded and some poor chap had his car wash away. Yep it was deep! We headed over the old airfield and on to dodge Inkberrow. Not far to the cafe now.
The cafe was quite popular today but Mandy is very efficient so no wait of consequence. Back in the saddle we took the Oddingley route. At White Ladies Aston we had a slight shower. It didn't last long and not far up the road the tarmac was dry. Pirton Church was our choice today before Jules headed home and Margaret and I took to climbing Kinnersley Bank. We parted at Upton leaving me the usual ride back.
Nice easy one today. Very pleasant too. 68 smiles

Top Bottom